the 100% directionless thread

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Another easy-money standby with a sweet view.
ydujypuh.jpg

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
45 minutes on scene trying to work a disposition for an elderly woman and her dog, and it ends with her pointing at me and saying "I really don't like that guy. He pushes all my buttons." Looks like a complaint may be coming my way. My poor partner was stuck taking the call because she wouldn't let me attend. Sometimes it's just not your day I guess.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Your turn in the barrel. Some days you just can't win.

terrible one

Always wandering
Ive applied for 12 total, all southern units and a couple northern ones... I go up to Amador/El Dorado unit in a couple weeks... then Monterey... then Tulare... then theres Fresno so far. Good thing I've stocked up on cash this year, probably going to break the bank...

At least this year you didn't have to hand deliver apps to the southern places. That was annoying. Good luck with your interviews.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
At least this year you didn't have to hand deliver apps to the southern places. That was annoying. Good luck with your interviews.

No kidding and thanks!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Got the official Dx list for my spine. Still waiting for insurance to approve the MRI to get the shoulder 100% diagnosed but they're leaning towards surgery now. Hopefully can get that imaging done this week and get the ball rolling.

Currently they're saying a cervical subluxation, thoracic subluxation, costovtebral joint dysfunction and cervicalgia. The working diagnoses on the shoulder is supraspinatus impingement syndrome with a possible supraspinatus tear and a larbral tear (her guess was grade 2 without having an MRI to look at).

Right on. :rolleyes:

Sounds like dispatch is back on the table, interview on Friday. I'm wondering how it would possibly work with this surgery though. If it happens I'm going to have to wait for like 4ish weeks to get it done then be back in a sling 100% of the time for 6 weeks. On the bright side I can still type 30+ words a minute with one hand but I feel like between only having one hand and posts surgery I'd have a real hard time sitting there for 12 hours for at least a couple weeks after the surgery. I could do with with meds I'm sure but I'm not sure how they would feel or I feel, for that matter, about taking narcotic pain meds while at work, even if it is only dispatching and call taking.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Got the official Dx list for my spine. Still waiting for insurance to approve the MRI to get the shoulder 100% diagnosed but they're leaning towards surgery now. Hopefully can get that imaging done this week and get the ball rolling.

Currently they're saying a cervical subluxation, thoracic subluxation, costovtebral joint dysfunction and cervicalgia. The working diagnoses on the shoulder is supraspinatus impingement syndrome with a possible supraspinatus tear and a larbral tear (her guess was grade 2 without having an MRI to look at).

Sounds like dispatch is back on the table, interview on Friday. I'm wondering how it would possibly work with this surgery though. If it happens I'm going to have to wait for like 4ish weeks to get it done then be back in a sling 100% of the time for 6 weeks. On the bright side I can still type 30+ words a minute with one hand but I feel like between only having one hand and posts surgery I'd have a real hard time sitting there for 12 hours for at least a couple weeks after the surgery. I could do with with meds I'm sure but I'm not sure how they would feel or I feel, for that matter, about taking narcotic pain meds while at work, even if it is only dispatching and call taking.

I was on lifting restriction once for a couple weeks when I was still a fairly new ground paramedic. My employer was really cool about it and let me take one of the fly cars and run with the BLS units and show up on busy calls just to help the ALS units out. Basically just paid me to goof around for 2 weeks. I was all over the city and the rural areas, just dispatching myself wherever it sounded like I could help out without lifting. It was the most fun I ever had doing ground EMS.

Good luck.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I was on lifting restriction once for a couple weeks when I was still a fairly new ground paramedic. My employer was really cool about it and let me take one of the fly cars and run with the BLS units and show up on busy calls just to help the ALS units out. Basically just paid me to goof around for 2 weeks. I was all over the city and the rural areas, just dispatching myself wherever it sounded like I could help out without lifting. It was the most fun I ever had doing ground EMS.

Good luck.

That would be awesome! I wish we had fly cars. We have Community Paramedic units but that's a year plus of classroom and clinicals. I told them just give me two Intermediates and we'd be golden. I've got enough ROM to intubate, that's the only thing I'd be worried about. They said no, so I said make me an acting supe. That didn't work either... :D

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
That would be awesome! I wish we had fly cars. We have Community Paramedic units but that's a year plus of classroom and clinicals. I told them just give me two Intermediates and we'd be golden. I've got enough ROM to intubate, that's the only thing I'd be worried about. They said no, so I said make me an acting supe. That didn't work either... :D

Glad to hear you at least seem to be moving in the right direction now that they're thinking surgery. Some progress seems better to me than the interminable waiting game. Are you an FTO? In my completely unqualified opinion, I feel like someone could be one of three people on a truck precepting a new hire regardless of shoulder injury.

Anjel

Forum Angel

Way to go big or go home my dear. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member

I broke my leg and spent three months on crutches. My company gave me an extra basic and it went just fine. They did the lifting, I looked pretty, pushed drugs and pushed buttons.

CFal

Forum Captain
had my first code, blunt trauma. was on scene minutes after the wreck, when I got there he was still breathing but went downhill fast

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
had my first code, blunt trauma. was on scene minutes after the wreck, when I got there he was still breathing but went downhill fast

Generally how traumatic arrests go. Especially blunt traumatic arrests. You pronounced I presume?

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
I just looked at my online banking, with all of the transactions from a 72 hour shift showing in the pending transactions list.

That's quite depressing, only one transaction that wasn't at a fast food restaurant or gas station.

Remember kids, your friendly local paramedic reminds you to eat healthy!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I just looked at my online banking, with all of the transactions from a 72 hour shift showing in the pending transactions list.

That's quite depressing, only one transaction that wasn't at a fast food restaurant or gas station.

Remember kids, your friendly local paramedic reminds you to eat healthy!

Do you post for 72 hours?? There's no way...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Might have just scored an interview with a fixed wing flight team. My preceptor here at the hospital is working to get me in over there.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
Do you post for 72 hours?? There's no way...

Don't hate me, but I've never posted in my career, I've always had a base to respond from...sometimes it hasn't been much of a base, but it's beats the hell out of a truck.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
You were in a station for 72 hours and ate all your meals from fast food and gas stations? Bringing food from home is the way to go... I cool usually once, sometimes twice a shift.