the 100% directionless thread

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
A EMT making minimum wage could pay off that iPad in one day. Considering a iPad 2 is 400 dollars new these days.

$8/hr*24 hrs=$192 pre tax. Just saying.

It's really more about the fact that it's a "luxury" commodity that is above and beyond the sustenance wage many of these EMTs are working under right now. I mean, working for $8/hr even with 56 hour weeks doesn't leave a ton of money left over for iPad purchasing after you buy the necessities. I see it as valuable for getting people in the door. If it makes a few people last for 3 months rather than the normal 1 month employment (total guess there, probably exaggerating), it sounds like a pretty decent deal for the company.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
They must have a huge turnover, I worked for a Private company in a semi - urban area probably a tenth of the LA population and we ran non-stop.

A EMT making minimum wage could pay off that iPad in one day. Considering a iPad 2 is 400 dollars new these days.

I certainly can't afford one.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Going for a ortho and neuro surgical consult today.

FMITA

Cross your figures for me.

Rob... Read the link.... :lol:

Hahahaha I've never even used a typewriter I don't think.

iPads are the coolest thing since sliced bread in a system status management system...why are you all so butthurt over a free iPad?

No different than a signing/relocation bonus.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Not to mention that the $400 model iPads are the base, bare bones models. Save a hundred bucks and get a top of the line Amazon Kindle Fire HDX with all the bells and whistles instead. If THATS what Elite was offering, suddenly I'd find myself rather tempted to be driving their dialysis mobiles lol At least until I get hired on by an FD.

Side note, my background investigators for Glendale Fire are finally starting to call my references. Granted it's for the EMT only Ambulance Operator position, still a step up from a private company position. Hopefully not too much longer until I find out yay or nay

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Not to mention that the $400 model iPads are the base, bare bones models. Save a hundred bucks and get a top of the line Amazon Kindle Fire HDX with all the bells and whistles instead. If THATS what Elite was offering, suddenly I'd find myself rather tempted to be driving their dialysis mobiles lol At least until I get hired on by an FD.

Side note, my background investigators for Glendale Fire are finally starting to call my references. Granted it's for the EMT only Ambulance Operator position, still a step up from a private company position. Hopefully not too much longer until I find out yay or nay

Congrats dude! Sending good vibes your way.

Unleashed, that's awesome for her then. We've got a million assisted living centers, SNFs and LTACs around here. Pretty rare to not go to at least one in a shift, had shifts where everything was in a facility, which is odd because we do 911 lol

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Good Luck Jim,, I'm sure the EMT position at the fire Dept. has better perks to the job vs. private EMS.

Robb, yeah I told her the other night that its pretty awesome to see, and that it rarely happens.

I told her you should've said "got any whiskey? its my first time" She was always so afraid she's been certified in CPR and worked various homes and SNF's since 2007 and never had to do CPR. She came home that night and told me about it.. Then was crying her face off cause she "wasn't sure if she was doing everything right" and if the AED worked right and all. I said put it blunt and straight to the point. "Shes alive, She's alive cause you pounded on her chest, got help right away, and used an AED" Dosen't make a difference now does it?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks guys. If you're gonna be in a Fire based EMS system, might as well work directly for the FD lol

The Red Cross talked me into letting them drain some blood today, they got me hooked up to an Alyx machine. Apparently it separates the red blood cells, so I get to keep my plasma and platelets and they get double the rbc's than normally otherwise

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Thanks guys. If you're gonna be in a Fire based EMS system, might as well work directly for the FD lol

The Red Cross talked me into letting them drain some blood today, they got me hooked up to an Alyx machine. Apparently it separates the red blood cells, so I get to keep my plasma and platelets and they get double the rbc's than normally otherwise

That's the only way I've ever donated. Go drink a beer ;)

I donated a lot of blood, before my tattoos, because my best friend's little brother, who's like my little brother had leukemia. He's in remission now though! Woohoo.

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member

Right after I moved back to the US, I'd had a rough day of job hunting, just nothing went right, the jobs I was going out to apply for either had already been filled, or weren't actually open for the hiring process yet (despite being posted on the websites), or the service was going out of business(!).

I saw the red cross donation center and thought to myself, "Well, at least I can do something good with my day."

Yeah, I couldn't donate because I'd been living in a malaria prone country.

I was a little irked.

Come to think of it though, I should be dropping off the deferment list next month, I need to remember to get down there and donate....what can I say? I'm addicted to that crappy, crappy orange juice.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Right after I moved back to the US, I'd had a rough day of job hunting, just nothing went right, the jobs I was going out to apply for either had already been filled, or weren't actually open for the hiring process yet (despite being posted on the websites), or the service was going out of business(!).

I saw the red cross donation center and thought to myself, "Well, at least I can do something good with my day."

Yeah, I couldn't donate because I'd been living in a malaria prone country.

I was a little irked.

Come to think of it though, I should be dropping off the deferment list next month, I need to remember to get down there and donate....what can I say? I'm addicted to that crappy, crappy orange juice.

I actually made a comment once about how they're constantly bugging you to donate yet they're so damn picky about it. I also asked why they call me constantly, despite me telling them I've had 20+ hours of tattoo work over the last year and a half. They call late too! Last time it was like 2300!

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Wow 3 CAL FIRE letters and 3 CAL FIRE interviews in 3 days and it ain't even March yet... could this be my year???

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Didn't get San Diego, looks like I am not gonna even get a call for Santa Clara. Very mad about that. This doesn't look like it's gonna be my year.

Haven't heard back about my internship. They made it sound like they found another preceptor, and I haven't heard anything after that...

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Dude are you serious??? I'd be at my school raising hell. Sorry to hear that bud :(

CALEMT

Didn't get San Diego, looks like I am not gonna even get a call for Santa Clara. Very mad about that. This doesn't look like it's gonna be my year.

Haven't heard back about my internship. They made it sound like they found another preceptor, and I haven't heard anything after that...

Thats sucks man... I was in the same boat last year just keep on truckin'!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Ugh my new hospital job pays more by a decent amount per hour than my old ems job. But it bumped me up a tax bracket it looks like :( take home is barely more

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Ugh my new hospital job pays more by a decent amount per hour than my old ems job. But it bumped me up a tax bracket it looks like :( take home is barely more

Enroll in a 401k to take some of the pre-tax amount down, enough to push you to the lower tax bracket. Plus, the hospital should match part of it. Win-win.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Enroll in a 401k to take some of the pre-tax amount down, enough to push you to the lower tax bracket. Plus, the hospital should match part of it. Win-win.

That's the plan :)

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
So, I've been talking to a girl for a while now and she brought me to meet her kid today.
Asked how old he was. "4!"
"When do you turn 5, bud?"
"On my birthday!"
Well... :censored::censored::censored::censored:, I guess he's not wrong. :blush:

terrible one

Always wandering
Wow 3 CAL FIRE letters and 3 CAL FIRE interviews in 3 days and it ain't even March yet... could this be my year???

I've received 7 letters for interviews out of 10 I've sent so far. I'm not sure which ones I'll actually go to though. I don't really feel like driving to any of the NorCal Units.

CALEMT

I've received 7 letters for interviews out of 10 I've sent so far. I'm not sure which ones I'll actually go to though. I don't really feel like driving to any of the NorCal Units.

Ive applied for 12 total, all southern units and a couple northern ones... I go up to Amador/El Dorado unit in a couple weeks... then Monterey... then Tulare... then theres Fresno so far. Good thing I've stocked up on cash this year, probably going to break the bank...