the 100% directionless thread

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Ah that makes sense. That's hella unlucky though. How bad was he?

Haha, well probably bad enough for HIM to fly him out :p

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Ahhh. Didn't realize you guys used state police helicopters.

For that matter, we don't charge for what we do either. We recently started charging a fairly minimal fee when requested by for-profit groups for ALS special event coverage, but everything else we do is already covered by the county/state.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I wish horoscopes or those personality tests would be more honest. I've yet to find one that says "You're a ****, nobody likes you" or "You're an incompetent failure", but I see those people walking around everywhere :unsure:

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I wish horoscopes or those personality tests would be more honest. I've yet to find one that says "You're a ****, nobody likes you" or "You're an incompetent failure", but I see those people walking around everywhere :unsure:

I don't know. Life does a pretty good job of making most incompetent failures aware of their shortcomings. The first one should definitely be more popular though. We could print out some business cards with that on it and hand them out.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Damn, it's a copy of GTA 5 that I've only had a few weeks, spent pretty much that entire time in the playstation lol

There's only a couple small scratches on the disc itself, but apparently bad enough to make to where the ps3 won't recognize there's a disc in at all half the time, the other half the game crashes, freezes, or is otherwise so full of glitches as to be unplayable. The best I've got out of it lately is where it'll launch and play the story mission fine, up until the end where you rescue the guy but there's no cut scene, he just kind of stands there and does nothing until you get frustrated enough to drop a grenade at his feet lol

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Plus I can't exactly afford to drop 60 bucks on a game i already have that's just glitching right now :-/

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Touche...

Are you guys happy with the HEMS operations in DE?

How many ships do they have? How do they staff? Do they do IFT's or just scene flights? What type of AC do they fly? Are there private companies at all?

Just curious.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Are you guys happy with the HEMS operations in DE?

How many ships do they have? How do they staff? Do they do IFT's or just scene flights? What type of AC do they fly? Are there private companies at all?

Just curious.

Ehh. Not really, but it's what we have and politics will always keep it that way. Trooper 2, the helo I see most often, is a Bell 407. Trooper 4 has a hoist and is a Bell 412. The Av Division has 4 helicopters and a fixed wing Cesna.
No IFT, just scene flights. They staff with a pilot and a trooper medic. No advanced scope. In cases where we (ground medics) RSI a patient, we're required to fly with the helo. The trooper medics have very little patient contact and suffer from serious skill atrophy. On any critical call the ground medics will usually fly and manage the patient.

There is an air methods (Christiana Lifenet) helo in both Georgetown and New Castle County for IFT and back up scene flights. They staff with a pilot, medic and RN. They have a slightly expanded scope.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Ehh. Not really, but it's what we have and politics will always keep it that way. Trooper 2, the helo I see most often, is a Bell 407. Trooper 4 has a hoist and is a Bell 412. The Av Division has 4 helicopters and a fixed wing Cesna.
No IFT, just scene flights. They staff with a pilot and a trooper medic. No advanced scope. In cases where we (ground medics) RSI a patient, we're required to fly with the helo. The trooper medics have very little patient contact and suffer from serious skill atrophy. On any critical call the ground medics will usually fly and manage the patient.

There is an air methods (Christiana Lifenet) helo in both Georgetown and New Castle County for IFT and back up scene flights. They staff with a pilot, medic and RN. They have a slightly expanded scope.

That is interesting. Do you guys do much training with the helicopter for the situations where you fly? What do you do about helmets and things?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
That is interesting. Do you guys do much training with the helicopter for the situations where you fly? What do you do about helmets and things?

A day of orientation and that's about it. No helmets. We hop in, put on a headset and go.

People that are new to our system always get excited when there told that we fly with DSP. It's not nearly as exciting as it sounds. I equate patient care in the back of that Bell 407 to trying to manage a critical patient in the backseat of 67 Volkswagen bug. It's about that loud and there's about that much room. Short of ventilating the patient and providing additional sedation during the transport, there's really not a lot of room for anything else. The general rule of thumb is, "get it done before you get off the ground".

Interestingly, that's one of the stories behind our service wearing flight suits. Many years ago there was talk of having us staff the DSP helo as the medics, so the entire department was fitted with flight suits. That plan fell through, but the somebody liked the look, so they stayed. We still wear Gibson and Barnes nomex flight suits as our daily duty uniform.

Last edited by a moderator:

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Plus I can't exactly afford to drop 60 bucks on a game i already have that's just glitching right now :-/
Call around and have it resurfaced. Fairly cheap, I think $10. Blockbusters normally do it, some Game stops, mainly it's just at local only shops. Have one right around the corner that does it for me.

I agree. I had one the other day that said "broke is temporary. Being poor is a state of mind". Sure seems like it hasn't been temporary, yet, though :rofl: