the 100% directionless thread

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Meh you are nice and Comfy with your nice station and kurig machine lol no if you were on a SSM system I might feel for you lol

Touché. I was actually sitting in a parking lot, covering another district today. Sitting in a parking lot for a couple of hours really makes you appreciate what you've got.

MassEMT-B

Forum Captain
I have done 15 hours so far of paramedic ride time today. We did one refusal 10 hours ago. I'm going crazy. This is awful.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Touché. I was actually sitting in a parking lot, covering another district today. Sitting in a parking lot for a couple of hours really makes you appreciate what you've got.

You mean you don't miss SSM? ;)

Don't you guys have to have two medics respond to any call that's coded as an ALS response or am I just making that up? I feel like I read that somewhere though.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't you guys have to have two medics respond to any call that's coded as an ALS response or am I just making that up? I feel like I read that somewhere though.

Two medics have to respond, but two medics don't have to make it on scene. Sometimes a supervisor or neighboring unit will back up a single medic, sometimes it's your partner who is also single. Unless it's a priority one patient, the second responding medic is typically cancelled after the first arrives.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Two medics have to respond, but two medics don't have to make it on scene. Sometimes a supervisor or neighboring unit will back up a single medic, sometimes it's your partner who is also single. Unless it's a priority one patient, the second responding medic is typically cancelled after the first arrives.

Ah gotcha.

Nice to know you have another set of ALS hands that you know are competent on the way or with you on every call with those really sick patients.

We need to find a way to move a mountain or two and some snow to Delaware...

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Ah gotcha.

Nice to know you have another set of ALS hands that you know are competent on the way or with you on every call with those really sick patients.

We need to find a way to move a mountain or two and some snow to Delaware...

Please figure that trick out and make it happen. I still haven't fully adjusted to the CO to DE transition.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Hmmm....AMR is hiring in Southern New Mexico and I left on great terms, El Paso Fire is accepting, already licensed....hmmm...

Got to get some sleep before Arrogance/Cocky EMS in the morning. Pretty sure I will fail FTO if I use a bougie, drop a King or use anything less than a 20g. Also, assessing falls only wanting lift assists is a waste of time- what could possibly be wrong with old, hypertensive pre-stroked patients who fall?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Hmmm....AMR is hiring in Southern New Mexico and I left on great terms, El Paso Fire is accepting, already licensed....hmmm...

Got to get some sleep before Arrogance/Cocky EMS in the morning. Pretty sure I will fail FTO if I use a bougie, drop a King or use anything less than a 20g. Also, assessing falls only wanting lift assists is a waste of time- what could possibly be wrong with old, hypertensive pre-stroked patients who fall?

How far do you want to move? If you want to stay mid Westish, I'd recommend looking at Poudre Valley Hospital EMS or Thompson Valley Ambulance in Colorado. I can vouch for both of those services. Also, getting licensed in CO is just a background check and NR.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm 'bout ready to apply at AMR myself, albeit in the Los Angeles County San Gabriel Valley division.

Time to say goodbye to IFT only and hello to 911

Come over to a real 911 system in Socal. Amr riv or san Bern. And if you want another step further go to hall in Kern county

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Come over to a real 911 system in Socal. Amr riv or san Bern. And if you want another step further go to hall in Kern county

Unfortunately for the short to mid term, relocating just won't work for, due to family, financial and other reasons

RocketMedic

Well, ideally, no moving or towards Texas/Southern New Mexico, but Colorado would be workable.

NomadicMedic

Try to stay positive. FTO time is short term.

You can make it through ... then work to improve your system. Become an FTO and show the new guys the right way. That's the only way things change.

NomadicMedic

Not even a little.

The actual law is a little more vague than that:

Each operating paramedic unit should be continuously staffed by 2 paramedics. Notwithstanding this requirement, the Board of Medical Licensure and Discipline, following review and approval by the State EMS Medical Director and ALS Standards Committee, shall have the authority to grant approval to the county paramedic services to conduct pilot programs utilizing other staff configurations including but not limited to the number and type of staff on each operating ALS unit.

So, working under an MOU as a resource deployment study, we are able to split the crews and redeploy single medics when it gets thin. Any Delta or Echo will always have two medics dispatched, even if they're singles. However... In 99% of the cases, it's two medics on a truck to make a "full crew". Right now, one of the other counties is testing a pilot program with single medics, and I have the feeling that we'll be moving in that direction sooner than later.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
Dispatch is in a good mood. Got time at start of shift to do a food detail at the place of our choice and had time to eat it.

RocketMedic

15.36/hr on 4 12hr shifts a week =798.00/week without extra OT.
11.51/hr x 24 on 3-shift Kelly = 37, 983/year, approximately 730.44/week. How does this pay work? Did I mess up? Go crawling back while I can?

Today hasn't sucked, at least. Learning what I can, trying to ignore the chip on shoulder mentality.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
Dispatch is in a good mood. Got time at start of shift to do a food detail at the place of our choice and had time to eat it.

And that was ruined. Sorry dispatch but I will not use a pump for NS just so you can charge thousands of dollars for an SCT run.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
And that was ruined. Sorry dispatch but I will not use a pump for NS just so you can charge thousands of dollars for an SCT run.

As I understand it normal IV solutions (saline,D5W,LR etc), antibiotics and TPN dont qualify for SCT billing. Doesnt matter if a pump was used or not.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
As I understand it normal IV solutions (saline,D5W,LR etc), antibiotics and TPN dont qualify for SCT billing. Doesnt matter if a pump was used or not.

That's what I was told as well. EMTs here are encouraged to use the med pump with NS if the sending physician has ordered a set rate. Still a
BLS transfer.

In other news the other crew just flew their patient. That's I think the fourth time I have been on and "missed" a flight call. We only have three crews on at a time, I suppose eventually I'll run more than lift assists and UTIs.