the 100% directionless thread

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Yeesh. Sadly sounds exactly like most of the real MCIs you can listen to on radio scanner traffic on YouTube. How about setting up treatment areas for GSW victims and calling in more engine and truck company medics while the transporting private ambulances are told repeatedly to stage across the street? Perfection.

*cough* Aurora Century Theaters Shooting *cough*

We're the HNICs on MCIs when it comes to the patients, fire has no say.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
*cough* Aurora Century Theaters Shooting *cough*

We're the HNICs on MCIs when it comes to the patients, fire has no say.

Fire is mostly (pretty much all) ALS. They also deal with a lot of politics so they are always in charge regardless.

Listening to some of the stuff the fire guy was saying was down right scary. "It's a MCI so we treat patients completely different. Protocols don't matter because once we say its a MCI then we are all covered by a blanket that makes it so we are not liable". I cringed in my seat.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Attention New Zealand Post; you are saying mail volumes are declining and its now a problem ... the internet and email was introduced in 1991 ... you have had over 20 years to realise this and figure something out ... and its only now a problem?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Fire is mostly (pretty much all) ALS. They also deal with a lot of politics so they are always in charge regardless.

Listening to some of the stuff the fire guy was saying was down right scary. "It's a MCI so we treat patients completely different. Protocols don't matter because once we say its a MCI then we are all covered by a blanket that makes it so we are not liable". I cringed in my seat.

...and this is why "The Matter of the EMT-Paramedic License held by Henderson" should be required reading for EMT and paramedic students in California.

Administrative Judge Appeal Decision

Final punishment order

Cliffs Notes

• Riverside paramedic had prior training and practice outside of California with RSI
  • RSI is not in the Riverside scope of practice as an optional scope (I doubt it's in California's scope, but I don't want to look it up)
  • Massive wild fires brought in out of state EMS providers to back fill fire stations. These paramedics maintained their home scope of practice, which in this case included RSI.
  • Fire officer ejected from cart and suffered a closed head injury.
  • Out of state paramedics decided to perform RSI.
  • Defendant offered to help out. Ended up pushing lidocaine for prep and Succinycholine.
  • California EMSA went after her license for
    • Fraud via false documentation (never documented who specifically pushed or performed what. Her documentation was the most complete in this manner per the administrative law judge)
    • Practicing outside of medical control. EMSA held that if she would have performed the intubation instead of pushing the RSI drugs that she would have been fine.
    • Henderson stated that, given the same circumstances she would do the same thing again. The administrative law judge rather humorously mused that she was lucky that said circumstances would never occur again anyways. This was part of why the state rejected the relatively light punishment recommended by the judge and included a 1 year probation.
  • Of note, the only reason why this was kicked up to the state level was because the local EMSA (county) medical director had questions regarding the legality during a disaster situation, not because he disagreed with the care delivered.
So if the fire guys think they can get away with anything on an MCI, I hope they have a good lawyer on retainer.

Last edited by a moderator:

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Eh, it's just a fad. This new-fangled Interweb thing will pass soon:rolleyes:

Directed at Clare's post, not so much JPINFV.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
...and this is why "The Matter of the EMT-Paramedic License held by Henderson" should be required reading for EMT and paramedic students in California.

Administrative Judge Appeal Decision

Final punishment order

Cliffs Notes

• Riverside paramedic had prior training and practice outside of California with RSI
  • RSI is not in the Riverside scope of practice as an optional scope (I doubt it's in California's scope, but I don't want to look it up)
  • Massive wild fires brought in out of state EMS providers to back fill fire stations. These paramedics maintained their home scope of practice, which in this case included RSI.
  • Fire officer ejected from cart and suffered a closed head injury.
  • Out of state paramedics decided to perform RSI.
  • Defendant offered to help out. Ended up pushing lidocaine for prep and Succinycholine.
  • California EMSA went after her license for
    • Fraud via false documentation (never documented who specifically pushed or performed what. Her documentation was the most complete in this manner per the administrative law judge)
    • Practicing outside of medical control. EMSA held that if she would have performed the intubation instead of pushing the RSI drugs that she would have been fine.
    • Henderson stated that, given the same circumstances she would do the same thing again. The administrative law judge rather humorously mused that she was lucky that said circumstances would never occur again anyways. This was part of why the state rejected the relatively light punishment recommended by the judge and included a 1 year probation.
  • Of note, the only reason why this was kicked up to the state level was because the local EMSA (county) medical director had questions regarding the legality during a disaster situation, not because he disagreed with the care delivered.
So if the fire guys think they can get away with anything on an MCI, I hope they have a good lawyer on retainer.
Interesting read...I know the Richland FD guys that were involved.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
That's what they said about automobiles.

I am sure these "cellular telephones" are the same right? :D

Luddites... luddites all of you!

I am sure that some of the original Intensive Care Paramedics who qualified before I was born feel the same way ... I know a couple who gave up and slipped off into the Patient Transfer Service because it's all become a bit too much for them.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Off, overtime tomorrow night, off Wednesday, then back to the grind.

Also, Foxfi Android app for Wifi hack + tablet + Bluetooth keyboard = awesome. Although, in hindsight, Alan Jackson's Small Town Southern Man is a poor musical choice for after-arrest listening (or really good, depending on how you look at it). Totally hit home.

Finally, I ended up in Old Pinkie (373, our Breast Cancer Awareness truck). We found a strange toy in the Kid's Bin and made it our mascot. Thing is creepy as heck.

Attachments

• killer bunny.jpg
    killer bunny.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 382
  • 373 dashbunny2.jpg
    373 dashbunny2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 373dashbunny.jpg
    373dashbunny.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 217

RocketMedic

Things like this make me cringe too. Lawsuit time!

RocketMedic

Also, see what I found the other day here in OKC!

Attachments

• oscar meyer weiner.jpg
    oscar meyer weiner.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 206

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Overtime is so much better when your partner is not on the bad side of dispatch and actually likes being at work. Last overtime shift this month, off tomorrow, 24hr shift on wednesday, then off for 10 days for wedding and honeymoon to St. Thomas. Bring on the beach and beer, among other important things.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
And I volunteered to work the last 6 of a shift with my friend tomorrow as a double medic truck... I'm sure they'll try to split us or pull a fast one, not happening. I said I'd work a specific 6 hours with a specific partner. It's OT I have no problem telling them no if they try to get cute with me.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
And I volunteered to work the last 6 of a shift with my friend tomorrow as a double medic truck... I'm sure they'll try to split us or pull a fast one, not happening. I said I'd work a specific 6 hours with a specific partner. It's OT I have no problem telling them no if they try to get cute with me.

Sounds like a good shift.

On an unrelated note, dance lessons have been awesome. Who knew?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Sounds like a good shift.

On an unrelated note, dance lessons have been awesome. Who knew?

It would be if I wasn't working till 0300 tonight.

Side note: can't make this :censored::censored::censored::censored: up. Seen lots of awkward positions after a fall over the last two years. Face down in the bathtub with legs straight up in the air is a first though...

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
Side note: can't make this :censored::censored::censored::censored: up. Seen lots of awkward positions after a fall over the last two years. Face down in the bathtub with legs straight up in the air is a first though...

Robb, it's supposed to be your girlfriend in that position, not the patient!

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
It would be if I wasn't working till 0300 tonight.

Yeah, 0300 is rough. I'll be off at 7, then I have to adjust my sleep schedule to be at work at 0600 on wednesday.

That would have been an interesting fall to watch, I'm sure.