the 100% directionless thread

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
He isn't arguing against a family member receiving a certain punishment, he is arguing that if your family member is falsely convicted of something you are not going to be blase about false conviction rates.

That kind of depends upon which family member it is, doesn't it? Most of us have at least one family member that when they are accused of committing a crime, it really comes as no surprise to us.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
[edit]

If sex offenders are so dangerous that the only place in society for them to live is under a bridge like a troll, then they should be in jail, not out in public.

Have you heard about the "civil commitments" that are being implemented?

Aidey

That kind of depends upon which family member it is, doesn't it? Most of us have at least one family member that when they are accused of committing a crime, it really comes as no surprise to us.

Sure, but I still wouldn't want to see them falsely convicted.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Have you heard about the "civil commitments" that are being implemented?

Yep... and while I have issues with those, I think it's better than the "Well, you're free from prison, but you can't live anywhere" solution currently being done.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Sigh, there should be a rules quiz for baseball TV commentators. There's no such thing as a "foul tip" that the catcher doesn't catch.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Pretty fun day today. Had the EMT students run some scenarios with the medic students. Had a scenario with a GSW with an active shooter, had the local PD show up with lights, sirens, and weapons drawn and take the "shooter" into custody and clear the scene for EMS.

2 more days of these type of scenarios. I love this time of the year for the EMT class.

Aidey

It isn't really about cruelty. It is about the ability of the state to essentially lock someone up after they've completed their sentence. It means that someone could end up being locked up for life even if they were not given a life sentence by a court.

JPINFV

Gadfly
It isn't really about cruelty. It is about the ability of the state to essentially lock someone up after they've completed their sentence. It means that someone could end up being locked up for life even if they were not given a life sentence by a court.

If pedophilia is a mental disorder where the urges are supposed to be out of the person's control, then how is it different than any other person adjudicated to be criminally insane?

How is civil commitment any worse than the current Megan's Law BS with extreme restrictions on where they can live, where they can be, and when they can be out?

If a person has served their debt to society (regardless of whether we agree the debt is significant enough or not), then shouldn't they be free to do as they please under the laws that limit any other free citizen?

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief

Then what do we do with such a person? I believe that sexual predation is not something that can be cured or counseled out of someone, I am not, however, an expert is any stretch of the imagination.

Where is the balance drawn between rights vs protection?

I don't know where the line is, but I do have a rather cold opinion on how to address the issue.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
chemical/physical castration.

Yet another mythical silver bullet to crime prevention. Obviously thought up well before any understanding of what actually drives sexual predators was understood.

bigbaldguy

Broken system broken laws.

Hey a tennis ball, who's a good boy then.

Speaking of distractions. Is 11.50 an hour full time as a basic/driver in a 911 system in the Houston area decent? Includes decent full benefits

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If sex offenders are so dangerous that the only place in society for them to live is under a bridge like a troll, then they should be in jail, not out in public.

~10% of rape claims are deemed unfounded or utterly false, the highest of any reported crime.

However, I am ALL for a much stricter 3 strike rule punishment. 3rd violent felony? Put to death. Period. I mean, your life is gone anyhow with life in prison, why waste money on your sorry useless ***?

bigbaldguy

I mean, your life is gone anyhow with life in prison, why waste money on your sorry useless ***?

Seriously no one actually read the basis of my argument did they.

This must be what it's like to be the president.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief