the 100% directionless thread

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
We have people in EMS who once they get involved go out and buy all kinds of stuff that costs a lot, they don't need, or is totally useless.

They do things like buy lights and sirens for their personal vehicles, personal medical kits that rival most ambulance equipment, radios, pagers, and scanners that SETI would be envious of, Fire or EMS logos on all of their cloths, bumper stickers, etc.

They then either troll around their area waiting to help "when something goes wrong and they are needed" or show up at their actual fire/EMS job with a belt full of gadgets that would make batman envious.

In most cases they chill out after a couple of years, but can't bring themselves to just trash the $1000s in gear they have. Some stay that way their entire lives.

It sounds like you came across such a trove in your storage buying hobby.

We have a couple of different names for them but "whacker" is the most derogatory we can post here.

AKA "Ricky rescue"

There was a time when I had a flashlight, shears, multi tool, glove holder, rescue hook thingy, radio strap and an asp on my belt.

Having those things were kind of impressioned upon me by coworkers when I was new...

Now I carry a flashlight shears and a radio.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Tactical Medic spot opened up on our TEMS Team...I guess I should start whooping my *** into shape for the agility test, eh?

I doubt they will hire me with how junior I am but after lots of talking with peers and friends I might as well try, right?

Napper820

Forum Probie
I also find it funny that when I occasionally peruse the likes of firehouse forums that you don't really find a whole lot of posts slamming EMS. Wonder why that is....

I've done third rides with FD and private service. I haven't heard anything derogatory from them.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
There was a time when I had a flashlight, shears, multi tool, glove holder, rescue hook thingy, radio strap and an asp on my belt.

Having those things were kind of impressioned upon me by coworkers when I was new...

Ya'll are allowed to carry ASPs? Are you trained in their use in the academy or something?

Boston EMS has handcuffs which makes them the envy of every private EMT in the city :)rofl:) but they are trained in their use by the PD during their academy. I had a partner that carried them on his batbelt, one day a supervisor finally noticed and well it was awkward. Now he uses the handcuff case as a glove holder...

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Worst that could happen is they tell you no. Best that could happen is get you into shape, you see the application process, get seen, and maybe get picked up! I'm not on our Tac Medic team since they're PD based, but I help instruct quite a bit of their training and always have a blast :D

Last edited by a moderator:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Ya'll are allowed to carry ASPs? Are you trained in their use in the academy or something?

Boston EMS has handcuffs which makes them the envy of every private EMT in the city :)rofl:) but they are trained in their use by the PD during their academy. I had a partner that carried them on his batbelt, one day a supervisor finally noticed and well it was awkward. Now he uses the handcuff case as a glove holder...

Nope... Someone preached selling it to me new and I figured "o hey thats a cool gadget sure il take it!" About a week later it was in my closet and remains there to this day.

Still a cool gadget though :rofl:

If someone decides to come into my house uninvited I am fully prepared to beat them, assuming it hasn't rusted by now.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Worst that could happen is they tell you no. Best that could happen is get you into shape, you see the application process, get seen, and maybe get picked up! I'm not on our Tac Medic team since they're PD based, but I help instruct quite a bit of their training and always have a blast :D

That was my thought as well. Worst case scenario they meet me and see that I'm interested and get told "come back with more experience", that's the only qualification I don't meet.

Best case scenario I get a sweet new side job :)

Our TEMS team is based through the agency I work for and works with all local SWAT teams including the Feds. Seems like it would be an awesome change of pace.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
That was my thought as well. Worst case scenario they meet me and see that I'm interested and get told "come back with more experience", that's the only qualification I don't meet.

Best case scenario I get a sweet new side job :)

Our TEMS team is based through the agency I work for and works with all local SWAT teams including the Feds. Seems like it would be an awesome change of pace.

Dude go for it. Like you said, worse they will say is come back later. I would love to do TEMS... In fact debating doing a TEMS course since I can get my volly agency to pay for it (only worthwhile bit of running with a VFD), so when I move to somewhere other than NM I might be able to get on with a TEMS team

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Before the cargo style EMS pants, I had a glove pouch, shears, a mini-maglight, and a set of kelly forcepts.

After cargo pants, I just kept the gloves in the pockets.

The forcepts were extremely useful for 2 things.

Most importantly: getting the damn cotton out of the baby ASA bottles that my fingers didn't fit in and secondly as a really efficent gripping tool when I had to perform on the fly repairs of equipment. It was sort of like plyers and a screwdriver all in one.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Before the cargo style EMS pants, I had a glove pouch, shears, a mini-maglight, and a set of kelly forcepts.

After cargo pants, I just kept the gloves in the pockets.

The forcepts were extremely useful for 2 things.

Most importantly: getting the damn cotton out of the baby ASA bottles that my fingers didn't fit in and secondly as a really efficent gripping tool when I had to perform on the fly repairs of equipment. It was sort of like plyers and a screwdriver all in one.

As far as carrying gloves now I have a morning ritual I perform every time I get to work now.

I get my drug pouch, walk into the supply room and rip open an IV start kit. I remove the two pairs of gloves in the nice folded things they come in and stick them in the drug pouch.

FDNY won't buy us BDU style cargo pants. They claim it will interfere with putting on our bunker gear in the event of a fire or MCI because the pockets will be too wide...

Maybe the wearer is just too wide...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Nope... Someone preached selling it to me new and I figured "o hey thats a cool gadget sure il take it!" About a week later it was in my closet and remains there to this day.

If someone decides to come into my house uninvited I am fully prepared to beat them, assuming it hasn't rusted by now.

I saw one at a pawn shop for 20 bucks and almost bought it, they are kinda cool looking.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Expandable batons are a good tool. Bear in mind, in some jurisdictions, they can be MORE controlled to own than firearms.

I used to wear a batbelt on the squad. Stopped after not too long. Then I wore one for years working Security. Now the only duty rig I usually wear is my "work" rig for armed security. Come to think of it, I still have one I could wear for EMS set up - I just have never had the desire to wear it. Hmm... Maybe I'll try again sometime.

JDub

Forum Lieutenant
I had to get a titer test done to prove my immunity to Hep B for my Paramedic program today and I was happy that for the first time ever, someone was able to successfully draw blood out of my AC. I was impressed.

Much better than when I wanted to donate plasma and the phlebotomist refused to even try and start an IV on me.

So many of the personalities that keep it entertaining get banned (usaf, brown (although he did turn out to be a troll), etc.)

Wait... USAF and MrBrown got banned? I was just wondering why I hadn't seen them post in a while...

It seems to me that "Keep the forum friendly" rules only make forums boring. But I guess that's why I am not a moderator.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I had to get a titer test done to prove my immunity to Hep B for my Paramedic program today and I was happy that for the first time ever, someone was able to successfully draw blood out of my AC. I was impressed.

Much better than when I wanted to donate plasma and the phlebotomist refused to even try and start an IV on me.

Wait... USAF and MrBrown got banned? I was just wondering why I hadn't seen them post in a while...

It seems to me that "Keep the forum friendly" rules only make forums boring. But I guess that's why I am not a moderator.

I had to get that done today too for my critical care. I thought my proof of vaccination would be enough, but noooo. lol. I hate needles

JDub

Forum Lieutenant
I had to get that done today too for my critical care. I thought my proof of vaccination would be enough, but noooo. lol. I hate needles

Well see, I got the first two shots in the series last year before I went into my EMT-Basic class and I just forgot to get my third one. I knew I had serologic immunity because of a blood draw for a previous job, but they no longer had my records since I quit. So my choice was pay $99 to get the final shot, or pay $49 to get the titer.

I didn't even end up having to pay either. I went to this place that does all sorts of lab tests so that I could get my drug test done and I asked them about titer tests and when they told me how much it cost, I turned it down. But the owner of the place offered that if I would give them a honest review on Google Maps, that he would throw in the titer test for free. Win! :D

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Expandable batons are a good tool. Bear in mind, in some jurisdictions, they can be MORE controlled to own than firearms.

They work pretty well on aggressive dogs, too.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere

Just hope it isn't Tonya Harding's boyfriend.
Nancy%20Kerrigan's%20Attacker%20Brian%20Sean%20Griffith%20picture%5B2%5D

JDub

Forum Lieutenant
They work pretty well on aggressive dogs, too.

What doesn't work on aggressive dogs you might ask? Mace.

My dad learned that lesson the hard way trying to break up two rottweilers that were fighting. Instead he just created a mace filled room with two angry dogs still going at it.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I also find it funny that when I occasionally peruse the likes of firehouse forums that you don't really find a whole lot of posts slamming EMS. Wonder why that is....

...because it's a side venture and nothing else. when you go over to Firehouse.com, how much discussion of EMS anything do you see?