the 100% directionless thread

I don't know how people enjoy running.

7min mile, can barely breath after and have to keep going. Terrible feeling.

I know what you mean! Everyone is like "if you want to get good at running, just go run." Yea, it don't quite work that way. My fastest two mile ever was 14 minutes and I was dying.

What really sucks is my dad is 56 years old and runs like a machine. Every morning at 0500 he's out running at least 2 or 3 miles. Albeit he is a retired seal, but still! In the Navy he used to run a 15 minute 3 mile and not really even be working that hard.

So anyhow man, when I figure out how to get better at running without causing SVT or respiratory arrest, I'll let you know. Till then, you don't suffer alone.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah skills testing for the next Paramedic class. Next 10 hours will hopefully be entertaining at the very least.

I'm still working part time in a retail job. I don't know how much longer that will last.

I love running, just haven't had much time lately. Mountain biking is fun as well, so is backpacking, and a good 4000 yard swim never hurt anybody (unless you get cramps, then it hurts a lot)

I used to think the same thing until two things happened,

1. I lost 52 pounds and can now run without my knees making the sound ironing boards make when you open them up.

2. I realized that the point of running isn't about how fast you move from point A to Z it's about how much you enjoy passing through points B through Y.

Of course I'm nowhere near a 7 minute mile that's pretty damn impressive. I can do a 12 minute mile outside and a 10 minute mile on a treadmill but I don't enjoy it. I can jog 14-15 minute miles for 2 hours +. I'm kicking around the idea of doing my first 5k.

I used to think the same thing until two things happened,

1. I lost 52 pounds and can now run without my knees making the sound ironing boards make when you open them up.

2. I realized that the point of running isn't about how fast you move from point A to Z it's about how much you enjoy passing through points B through Y.

Of course I'm nowhere near a 7 minute mile that's pretty damn impressive. I can do a 12 minute mile outside and a 10 minute mile on a treadmill but I don't enjoy it. I can jog 14-15 minute miles for 2 hours +. I'm kicking around the idea of doing my first 5k.

Weight lifting is more my thing. Same feeling of pressing to the next point but less huffin and puffin lol.

I got up to 310 bench press but I have to stop lifting for strength now. My body is always sore from pushing so hard and it causes me issues with running.

Fire academy is january 14th so I need to step up my game with running and I can't risk getting an injury lifting heavy weight either.

The day i graduate that academy im never running again lol.

My body is always sore from pushing so hard and it causes me issues with running.

Work out too hard every third day and have to take 3 days off for a total of 1 hard workout every other day or work out much lighter 6 days a week. Which one do you think will get you in better shape and keep you in it ;)

I'm not giving you a hard time. Trust me when I was 15 years younger it was all about how much I could bench. 15 years later it's all about feeling good about my strength and fitness level. I gotta tell you I feel much better about my strength and fitness level now then at 23. All that anaerobically created muscle goes soft wicked fast when you crest the 30-35 mark. :)

I don't look nearly as good in a t shirt now as I did when I was 25 though :( I do however look way better than I did 18 months ago. Of course going from a 2xl t shirt size to a medium helps too.

Cardio is so key to your overall health...

+1

I do miss the mass I lost though when I go to open a big restaurant door. It was pretty comical for a bit after I lost the weight. I'd be cruising along, go to push through a door at a restaurant without pausing and "bam" almost end up on my butt.

Cardio is so key to your overall health...

I said I'm never running again.

Me and the stairmaster are best friends forever.

I need to master pull-ups, push-ups and running 4 miles.

No one can touch me on pull-ups that I know of.(in person)

Whoever does the most push-ups and pull-ups along with a 1.5m run at the end of the academy gets to pick their station.

Whoever does the most push-ups and pull-ups along with a 1.5m run at the end of the academy gets to pick their station.

Two words, excersize ball. Do push ups with feet on ball then as you get tired roll yourself more and more onto the ball then roll back to your feet then repeat. Also works your core so should help with pull ups. I've always been lousy at pull ups though.

I read the first 2 chapters (70 pages) since last night. First chapter all redundancy of terminology but can't hurt. The second chapter gets overly complicated and is basically organic chemistry. Learned quite a bit already but I don't see the relevance in memorizing all of the protein structures and whatnot. Its just massively too much. Thats why we have people like Vene...
I hope it all will make sense later on. I have yet to read much on physiology, which is where I think chemistry, organic chemistry, and biology will be appreciated, so I couldn't tell you the relevance of it. Of the sciences I know, I've correlated it clinically very few times, only online too, and even then I had the feeling of either I am somewhat on the right track, or completely wrong. I was very pleased about the nitroglycerin and intoxication post in ALS discussion, it's one of the few times where I had somewhat of an idea, but at the same time, I am not sure whether I am right or wrong, it's just what I currently believe right now. I used to worry about posting on here because I was afraid of hearing that a little bit of knowledge is dangerous.

Two words, excersize ball. Do push ups with feet on ball then as you get tired roll yourself more and more onto the ball then roll back to your feet then repeat. Also works your core so should help with pull ups. I've always been lousy at pull ups though.

My goal is to do 30-40 pullups, full lockout each one.

I'm at 25 right now. 26 if i'm feeling saucy.

Wee, peritonsillar abscesses

I've decided that printing all my textbooks and bringing them in a binder to work is impractical.

I don't need an iPad, I already have an iPhone.

Should I get the samsung tablet? Kindle?

I just need something I can load PDF files onto...

I can get a kindle fire 8gb for $170. The space more than suites my needs but is it comfortable reading on something that tiny?

Weight lifting is more my thing. Same feeling of pressing to the next point but less huffin and puffin lol.

I got up to 310 bench press but I have to stop lifting for strength now. My body is always sore from pushing so hard and it causes me issues with running.

Fire academy is january 14th so I need to step up my game with running and I can't risk getting an injury lifting heavy weight either.

The day i graduate that academy im never running again lol.

The academy is awesome!
When I did it last November we Had PT the first two hours.
First pt we had, one guy was carried away in an ambulance and multiple people threw up. we lost 19 people from day 1 to day 6.
The most push-ups we did was about 400, and about 900 jumping jacks. Easy stuff, only ran a max of three miles.

Just finished setting up this bad boy in our dining room:

aza5avup.jpg

Back