the 100% directionless thread

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
Going for a day hike tomorrow. My first in a super duper long time! Excited.

One thing that's different now: My first aid kit is 3 times as big. :unsure: I went through it to pare it down, but I've completed my EMR training since last time and now my brain starts thinking of hundreds of legitimate reasons I would need each item.

Upside: I told my friends they don't need to pack any first aid stuff, so in lieu I'm going to get them to carry some of my water. :p

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Anybody tried placing the electrodes to see the Lewis lead (S5)? I just tried it on myself, and the p-waves didn't seem to be amplified and the QRS complex didn't look isoelectric. I was very disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Going for a day hike tomorrow. My first in a super duper long time! Excited.

One thing that's different now: My first aid kit is 3 times as big. :unsure: I went through it to pare it down, but I've completed my EMR training since last time and now my brain starts thinking of hundreds of legitimate reasons I would need each item.

Upside: I told my friends they don't need to pack any first aid stuff, so in lieu I'm going to get them to carry some of my water. :p

Duct tape, quick clot and various PO meds. Add mole skin, gauze and steri strips if you really want to get wild.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Duct tape, quick clot and various PO meds. Add mole skin, gauze and steri strips if you really want to get wild.

I usually toss in a small SAM splint type thing too and a little kerlix. But pretty much this.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
So no OPAs and NPAs?

Are you trying to imply that I should drop the OBGYN kit too? But what if I have to deliver a black bear cub? In September? :rofl:

It's actually just a off the shelf first aid kit I keep in my car. Only I never realized how much space it took until I tried to fit it in my backpack with 4 litres of water. :unsure:

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief

Yeah, I think i'll custom make a hiking first aid kit with an emphasis on weight and size. This will probably be my last hike before snow falls though, so I'll leave that for my spring to-do list.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yeah, I think i'll custom make a hiking first aid kit with an emphasis on weight and size. This will probably be my last hike before snow falls though, so I'll leave that for my spring to-do list.

My hiking medical kit is pretty much just duct tape and gauze/paper towels.

Need a splint? Just find a small branch or two and secure in on the injury with duct tape.

Need a bandage? Get a strip of tape (or a couple) and put the gauze/paper towel on it.

Need to close a wound? Small strips of duct tape over the wound closing it and then one large piece to secure it all.

Getting a blister? Slap on some duct tape (usually sticks better then mole skin).

Thinking about it now, I use duct tape when ever I go hiking, camping, and motorcycle riding. I should invest in the company haha

Anjel

Forum Angel

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
How'd that happen?

Partner and I posted near a local purveyor of delicious mexican fare watching the late night sights. Off duty co worker out with friends sees us and stops. So did some dude that had been following them around the club. Dude is obviously drunk and harmless.

Another chick pulls up and begins yelling at said dude to leave our friends alone and he was following her around the club as well. Before we could get both of them to go their separate ways, chick sprays the dude. My partner was near the dude and got his eyes closed in time but still caught some to his face. I caught the cloud as it floated away.

Unknown chick took off as did the dude once we helped him clean his face a little.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Partner and I posted near a local purveyor of delicious mexican fare watching the late night sights. Off duty co worker out with friends sees us and stops. So did some dude that had been following them around the club. Dude is obviously drunk and harmless.

Another chick pulls up and begins yelling at said dude to leave our friends alone and he was following her around the club as well. Before we could get both of them to go their separate ways, chick sprays the dude. My partner was near the dude and got his eyes closed in time but still caught some to his face. I caught the cloud as it floated away.

Unknown chick took off as did the dude once we helped him clean his face a little.

Days like those I just keep telling my self... "I love my job, I love my job, I love my job"

Anjel

Forum Angel
And on a different note.

I am on my way to rodeo roundup.

Take that as you will.