the 100% directionless thread

Epi-do

I see dead people
All through medic class I teased my husband (who is deathly afraid of needles) that I was going to practice IVs and injections on him. Fast forward to four years after medic class, and I really am sticking him with needles - and he is not happy about it. Apparently, Lovenox burns no matter how slowly I push it.

2 injections down, only 12 more to go.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Just because you carry Dopamine, you aren't supposed to actually use it!!!!!!! Don't you know the reason it is in that fancy silver bag is because it is supposed to be kept buried at the bottom of you drug bag/box, never to see the light of day?!?!?!?!

Anjel

Forum Angel
All I got is...

Symptomatic bradycardia 5-10mcg/kg/min

Cardiogenic shock 10-20mcg/kg/min

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
I got into the November exam! Which means that roughly on December 1st I'll be a certified EMR. Which means that I can go to EMT school in January. Which means I need to start working on my application. Which means I need to find some way to scrounge up 10k between now and January. Which means that starting today I'm going to be living like a hobo.

Wait. Why am I doing this again? :blink:

:lol:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Pop quiz: what are the 3 doses for Dopamine. Renal, Cardiac, and pressor?

1-5 for renal, 5-10 for inotropic and 10-20 for pressor.

It's not an exciting story, but apparently a dope drip is over my head according to a certain RN.

Long story short I ended up having to titrate up to 10 mcg/kg/min to keep their MAP in the 60s...started at 5/kg/min...and she wanted to D/C it.

I win.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anjel

Forum Angel
1-5 for renal, 5-10 for inotropic and 10-20 for pressor.

It's not an exciting story, but apparently a dope drip is over my head according to a certain RN.

Long story short I ended up having to titrate up to 10 mcg/kg/min to keep their MAP in the 60s...started at 5/kg/min...and she wanted to D/C it.

I win.

You make me smile lol

Anjel

Forum Angel
I pride myself in being able to figure out the rate for a dopamine drip in 30seconds lol

I frustrate a lot of the medics I work with, who break out the field guide, a piece of paper, an a calculator.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Wow, wow, wow, wow, this forum isn't big enough for two Angels :lol: lol

Yup so you will have to leave.

Sorry bout your luck.

Hahaha I kid I kid. I'm anJel so it's all good

Doczilla

Forum Captain
Low "renal" dose dopamine has been called into question, that's true.

As a blanket statement, its difficult to say that it would work for every patient in renal failure. However, i have used it with good results in burnt children, in conjunction with other therapy.

One kid in particular went from sweet tea colored urine to light yellow in 45 mins. AND I had to calculate it manually on paper and administer it without an I.V. pump.

I miss Afghanistan.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I pride myself in being able to figure out the rate for a dopamine drip in 30seconds lol

I frustrate a lot of the medics I work with, who break out the field guide, a piece of paper, an a calculator.

The cheater way is nice but I still ended up doing the math on my phone real quick to make sure I wasn't totally off base. Had it mapped out for 7.5 mcg/kg/min and 10 mcg/kg/min so I wasn't spinning my wheels trying to do math with a crashing patient in my ambulance.

Dial-a-flows are nifty little gadgets, set it then counted the rate and it was spot on.

finally this extremely frustrating night is over, a beer is in order then sleepy time.