the 100% directionless thread

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
...Or maybe he knows that a sound customer service strategy isn't based on platitudes?

Maybe it's just me. :)

Achilles

Forum Moron
The customer is not always right… The customer wants you to fix what's wrong.

The sooner you learn that lesson, the better off you'll be, both professionally and personally. Don't simply acquiesce, but instead... do what you can to make "the pain" go away.

That is the one major key to providing excellent customer service.
If you caused what's wrong shouldn't you fix it?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Stressful week so far. Working on a Neuro floor is depressing. Yesterday I had a patient who was A&O x0 post multiple strokes and a NSTEMI (plus long medical history). He would just lay there and yell and moan. Wife and kids were there and he didn't recongnize them and cussed them out and told them to get out of his room. He would kick and punch anyone who came near him and ended up restrained. I was in the room when the doctor told the family that there was a strong possibility that there would be no improvement. The wife lost it, I didn't even know what to say I just sat there and let her cry on my shoulder. He was 51 years old. First time I have ever had to deal with a family member like that. It was a huge reminder than there are much worse things that death.

Tomorrow is my peds clinical. My pt is a 11 year old with 30% 2nd degree burns after a house fire.

When I did my ride time for basic it was with an IFT truck. I hated it. I had 3 12hr shifts in a row with nothing but patients exactly like this. They were all being transported to long term care and had families who were all pretty much in various levels of denial about their recovery chances. Luckily I had 2 other 12s that were much less depressing.

Thanks for letting that woman cry on your shoulder. A year ago I was in a similar position to that woman and I would have given anything at that moment to have someones shoulder to cry on. Don't ever lose that empathy.

NomadicMedic

It depends. Maybe you didn't cause the problem. Maybe the customer has unrealistic expectations or wants something you're not in the position to deliver.

if you really want to get a good idea on how to deliver customer service, I suggest reading anything by T. Scott Gross. He wrote several books based on the concept of "positively outrageous service". He also went on to develop customer service strategies for some of the most successful businesses in the country.

I used his methodology at several of the properties that I managed, before EMS. I took the same amazing customer service strategies from those successful properties with me, and I use them almost every day on the paramedic unit.

Almost anybody can promise that they deliver great customer service, and use an expression like "the customers always right"... Unfortunately, most business owners don't empower their staff to make things right, nor do they believe that great customer service will increase revenue.

I firmly believe that it doesn't matter if you run a fast food restaurant, airline, hotel, hardware store or work on a paramedic unit… The end result should be the same. Give the customer more than they asked for, give it to them with a smile and then help them realize that they got something special at the end.

Don't forget, they don't remember our medicine… They remember how we made them feel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You realize Succinylcholine and Anectine are the same thing?

It would be like a supervisor sending an email saying "we're out of diphenhydramine so we will be stocking the bags with Benadryl instead."

To be fair, are we sure it wasn't meant as a "Well, we can't get it in the vial you're used to, so we're switching to it under another name" type of thing? Makes sense when thought of that way.

Obviously not worded the best, but I can see how it can be meant.

Achilles

Forum Moron
When I did my ride time for basic it was with an IFT truck. I hated it. I had 3 12hr shifts in a row with nothing but patients exactly like this. They were all being transported to long term care and had families who were all pretty much in various levels of denial about their recovery chances. Luckily I had 2 other 12s that were much less depressing.

Thanks for letting that woman cry on your shoulder. A year ago I was in a similar position to that woman and I would have given anything at that moment to have someones shoulder to cry on. Don't ever lose that empathy.

When I did my basic class, we had a student that was with a private company who was given a package of badaids and told some like "just stay out of the way" that's what he told us and showed us the package of bandages with th company name. He hated it too, never went back and now I dislike that company as well, but for different reasons.
And I 100% agree with the shoulder to cry on, and a hug helps as well sometimes!

Achilles

Forum Moron
It depends. Maybe you didn't cause the problem. Maybe the customer has unrealistic expectations or wants something you're not in the position to deliver.

if you really want to get a good idea on how to deliver customer service, I suggest reading anything by T. Scott Gross. He wrote several books based on the concept of "positively outrageous service". He also went on to develop customer service strategies for some of the most successful businesses in the country.

I used his methodology at several of the properties that I managed, before EMS. I took the same amazing customer service strategies from those successful properties with me, and I use them almost every day on the paramedic unit.

Almost anybody can promise that they deliver great customer service, and use an expression like "the customers always right"... Unfortunately, most business owners don't empower their staff to make things right, nor do they believe that great customer service will increase revenue.

I firmly believe that it doesn't matter if you run a fast food restaurant, airline, hotel, hardware store or work on a paramedic unit… The end result should be the same. Give the customer more than they asked for, give it to them with a smile and then help them realize that they got something special at the end.

Don't forget, they don't remember our medicine… They remember how we made them feel.

I like this post.
Never heard of that author though, but I personally know John Spence who has expirence with the business that I am in (landscaping) and he has written some good books. I'm on my phone right now so I'll go in detail further later.
Until then
Regards
Andrew

bigbaldguy

Lets get back off topic folks.

NomadicMedic

I like turtles.

And how was the first day of paramedic class BBG?

bigbaldguy

I like turtles.

And how was the first day of paramedic class BBG?

Anticlimactic. Apparently they don't actually give you the patch till the end. I was thinking I could ask to "look at it" then pull a runner like a teenager and a six pack of beer but apparently it doesn't work that way. Who knew?

I think it's going to be a great program though. It's basically their accreditation "trial" class so it's going to be very thorough and by the book. Class size is a little big but the instructors seem very enthusiastic and the clinical sites should be top notch. All in all I think it should be a great experience if I can manage the schedule for a year.

Anjel

Forum Angel
When I did my basic class, we had a student that was with a private company who was given a package of badaids and told some like "just stay out of the way" that's what he told us and showed us the package of bandages with th company name. He hated it too, never went back and now I dislike that company as well, but for different reasons.
And I 100% agree with the shoulder to cry on, and a hug helps as well sometimes!

Lol I worked for a company with bandaids like that lol

JPINFV

Gadfly
I like freaking turtles okay?

There's oh, so many ways to take this... but isn't there mechanical issues between man and turtles?

Also, do you know who else liked turtles?

Captain_Jack_Sparrow.jpg

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Played mechanic for 6 hours today and then went to a station 80 miles away and watched TV with the crew there. Awesome day

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Got an e-mail saying I didn't qualify for the job, and to reapply in the future. :(

I had my interview with PT-1 today in the Central Valley and I think it went well. I should know by Friday.