the 100% directionless thread

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Ta-da. I had the same exact thing going on. I switched shifts today to get a different one. Hopefully that fixes it, because I really like the company and most of the employees thus far, but seem to get stuck with the people I can't click with. First it was my FTO with medicine I disagreed with, and then it was the driver trainer with all their drama that caused sour moods for 16 hour shifts. I want to make it through, get cleared, and get my own truck again.

It's funny... seeing the other peoples FTOs and they seem nice and cool, and they enjoy being on their FTOs truck. I just keep getting the ones I don't meld with. When I was at my last agency, I got 2 great ones. Granted I know you won't like everyone you work with... but I don't want someone I don't like being the one in charge of my career.

Oh, my first FTO's were awesome, but spending 24 hours with this guy is like getting a prostate exam from a leper.

I'm supposed to be out by Christmas, but who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Oh, my first FTO's were awesome, but spending 24 hours with this guy is like getting a prostate exam from a leper.

I'm supposed to be out by Christmas, but who knows.

Could be worse, could be giving a prostate exam to a leper.

bigbaldguy

It's not that I can't handle someone being a **** to me, it's that after correcting HIM twice on our protocols this week, he's still talking :censored::censored::censored::censored: to other supervisors about me. I equate working with him to Linuss working with his driving trainer.

Edit: forgot to add the "him" in the first sentence.

You've corrected someone who's at least nominally your superior twice and he's talking smack about you? Imagine that lol you young people crack me up.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
You've corrected someone who's at least nominally your superior twice and he's talking smack about you? Imagine that lol you young people crack me up.

In my defense, both times it was in response to a question he asked me...I mean if you're going to quiz me, at least know the answer to the question.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

My FTO had been a medic for 34 years. He thought any patient who said 'chest pain' should get nitro. I didn't.

Experience matters, however, it doesn't mean you're always right, or even sometimes right.

bigbaldguy

My FTO had been a medic for 34 years. He thought any patient who said 'chest pain' should get nitro. I didn't.

Experience matters, however, it doesn't mean you're always right, or even sometimes right.

In my admittedly limited experience with FTO's, experience seems to rarely be a job qualification.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

Mine lectured me about how it's not our job to try to manage someone's pain...

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Mine lectured me about how it's not our job to try to manage someone's pain...

Isn't that one of the founding ideas of EMS? As well as 90% of our calls? "something hurts?" If it wasn't our job to manage pain, they wouldn't give us the drug.

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
Best run ever.
Sent to meet the police, possible DOA at a local nursing home. Engine on scene disregarded us as we were pulling up. Apparently a local transport service had seen two people dump 'something, possibly a body' into a dumpster and they called 911. It was a rolled up carpet.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Isn't that one of the founding ideas of EMS? As well as 90% of our calls? "something hurts?" If it wasn't our job to manage pain, they wouldn't give us the drug.

Yeah, but we're talking about a medic that doesn't even do a 12-lead on someone who's diaphoretic and complaining of chest pain. I have zero respect for this man as a "provider". I mean I know I am by no means an amazing paramedic, but I at least put forth an effort.

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
Best run ever.
Sent to meet the police, possible DOA at a local nursing home. Engine on scene disregarded us as we were pulling up. Apparently a local transport service had seen two people dump 'something, possibly a body' into a dumpster and they called 911. It was a rolled up carpet.

Omg that's hilarious!

Also, I just completed my first shift after being cleared. Woo! We had 4 runs, all from hosp to SNFs/res facilities. AND I didn't have to work with douche partner Ive been assigned to.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Four more shifts and I'm finished with my FTO time. Yea buddy. I like my FTO and his partner. It's a dual medic truck plus myself as an Intermediate. Needless to say I learn quite a bit.

Also, I'll know by sometime this week if I'm approved for FT or not rather than PRN. :)

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Best run ever.

I still say that you should have run a 3-lead on it just to make sure it met the criteria for a scene death. Ed would have seen the humor in it. :rofl:

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I just had two ambulance crews stop by, hold me down and draw a Sharpie mustache on me...with a goatee...and sideburns

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I just had two ambulance crews stop by, hold me down and draw a Sharpie mustache on me...with a goatee...and sideburns
Kinky....