Thank GOD I'm alive!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
This one is entertaining.

I have nothing to add to this topic besides: You do your thing, I'll do mine. I'll respect you and your beliefs if you respect mine.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself

Lol we really need like buttons on here! My partner is wondering why im sitting here laughing my arse off.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
ME2!:rofl:

medic417

The Truth Provider
I hate the myth known as gravity. It must be fake because I have never seen it.:huh:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I am well aware of the three main you listed, however if you think their Jesus view is the biggest difference, you might want to head over to the Theology section of your local library and do some reading. :)

Christianity, Judaism and Islam are Abrhamic religions, all 3 hold Abraham as a somewhat important figure in their history. Christinaity believes Jesus is a decedent of Abraham while Islam views Mohammed as a decedent of Abraham. and then Jews Jacob.

Christians believe Jesus was the son, Muslims believe he was a messenger, and Jews think he was a false messenger. Truly, that is the single biggest and most notred difference between the 3. (Sunni and Shiite notwithstanding, Trinity notwithstanding).

Infact, the Qu'ran even goes so far as to say that Allah, Yaweh, and God are the same diety, and that Muslims, Jews and Chritians all believe in the same singular God.

Call it what you want, but the 3 main religions (considering they consists of 54% of the worlds religions) all believe in the same idea of the same single god with a monothestic view, and all 3 have many of the same figures, places, and events transcribed throughout their holy books, sharing many of the same ideas with eachother.

These 3 religions share much more in common than not only people know, but the extremist are willing to accept.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Christianity, Judaism and Islam are Abrhamic religions, all 3 hold Abraham as a somewhat important figure in their history. Christinaity believes Jesus is a decedent of Abraham while Islam views Mohammed as a decedent of Abraham. and then Jews Jacob.

Christians believe Jesus was the son, Muslims believe he was a messenger, and Jews think he was a false messenger. Truly, that is the single biggest and most notred difference between the 3. (Sunni and Shiite notwithstanding, Trinity notwithstanding).

Infact, the Qu'ran even goes so far as to say that Allah, Yaweh, and God are the same diety, and that Muslims, Jews and Chritians all believe in the same singular God.

Call it what you want, but the 3 main religions (considering they consists of 54% of the worlds religions) all believe in the same idea of the same single god with a monothestic view, and all 3 have many of the same figures, places, and events transcribed throughout their holy books, sharing many of the same ideas with eachother.

These 3 religions share much more in common than not only people know, but the extremist are willing to accept.

And some of us think he was just a crappy carpenter that got strung up for a shoddy building job.......

On a more serious note though. How do people of faith that believe in Jesus and the crucifixion account for it ever happening? Seeing as how this happened during the Roman times and the Romans were the most meticulous record keepers in history and have records of almost EVERYTHING that happened during their reign, but there is no record of crucifixion ever being used.... ever.....

Just curious

Veneficus

Forum Chief
but there is no record of crucifixion ever being used.... ever.....

Just curious

Maybe it is listed under the records of enhanced interrogation techniques?

:unsure:

Sublime

LP, RN
As an atheist I find it really distasteful when other atheists (i call them angry atheists) slam and insult other religions by insinuating there is something wrong or bad about them.

People ask me to pray, I roll with it. Bow my head, close my eyes and be respectful.

People say "god bless you" or tell me they will pray for my safety or that I succeed in my goals, I tell them thank you, that is very kind.

Its what gives them comfort and makes them feel better. Who am I to disagree with that? Who am I to tell them they're wrong or silly? I would be offended if they told me I'm wrong or silly, so why do it to them?

Emergency brings out the religion in people. Get used to it.

I feel the same way. If you think about it, religious people have something we will never have, they have the comfort of believing they're going somewhere better when they rdie. What do we have?

I honestly wish my brain would let me be a religious person, but I just can't force myself to believe something I don't think is true.

And if you're not willing to be accepting of other peoples beliefs then you should probably reconsider your career choice. How are you helping someone by downgrading their beliefs or making douche bag comments like "god has nothing to do with this", especially when they are counting on you to help them out. So what if god gets more recognition then you for their medical outcomes, is your ego that big that you really need people to thank you all day instead of their god?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I feel the same way. If you think about it, religious people have something we will never have, they have the comfort of believing they're going somewhere better when they rdie. What do we have?

We get to know and be remembered as people who accomplished what we did by our own efforts and abilities.

It is by our hard work, failure, and perseverence that the people whom we tried to help benefited.

It wasn't a gift from a divine being when we succeeded and our unworthiness when we failed.

We do not live at the mercy of the world. We change the world at our mercy.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
but there is no record of crucifixion ever being used.... ever.....

Of Jesus in particular, or crucifixion overall?

Because crucificion was a well known, and used, punishment back then.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Of Jesus, who was supposed to have been a enemy of the state at the time. Though as a realist I do also understand that if such records did ever exist they may have been destroyed at a later date by some other ruling faction

And like everything else taught, History = His story with personal twist and biases added in.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Let's play who done it:

Who said: " I am going to create man and woman with original sin. Then I'm going to impregnate a child-bride with myself as her child, so that I can be born. Once alive, I will kill myself as a sacrifice to myself--to save you from the original sin I condemned you to".

Or if you want to argue the free will concept...

Robber says "Give me your money or I'll shoot!"
People have free will, they can choose to obey the robbers commands or not.
Robbers do not kill people, people choose to die by choosing to disobey the robber.

God commands "Worship me or burn in hell"
People have free will, they can choose to obey gods commands or not.
God does not kill people, people choose to go to hell by choosing to disobey a god.

I too have a strong issue with religion. Put aside all the whacky beliefs, rituals, thought processes and issues/preoccupation with people's sex lives and get right down to the core of it all...it simply is one of the most sadomasochistic relationships to ever exist.

It is a concept that you are forced to love someone you fear....

And in closing, ❝There is no god, and that’s the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again.❞ - Penn Jillette

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
And yet, there are things that exist that defy science itself... namely EVERY single thing that exists, including science itself.

Kind of ironic. The thing meant to explain everything cannot explain itself.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
And yet, there are things that exist that defy science itself... namely EVERY single thing that exists, including science itself.

Kind of ironic. The thing meant to explain everything cannot explain itself.

I say with great sadness that the true irony is that science has explained far more than religion ever did or even allowed. Scientists had to be declared heretics and face death in order to promote their views which today are widely known and accepted by both believers and non-believers. This mentality still occurs today, the death part not so much in the USA but it does exist.

Science continues to explain or attempt to explain many things which religion just ignores. Science also does not say they know or can explain everything...it is religion which typically makes that assertion.

The darkest period in our time (The Dark Ages) when all learning and progress essentially ceased was also the time period when the Church was at its greatest power...how's that for irony.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
And yet you're making it seem like people can't believe in science and God, that the two are mutually exclusive, when in fact, they currently aren't.

Neither has proven nor disproven the other. And until science can disprove God, to state he doesn't exist is akin to the worlds view on Galileo or the idea that the world really wasn't flat: Until you have proof, you can't say it's not right.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
And yet you're making it seem like people can't believe in science and God, that the two are mutually exclusive, when in fact, they currently aren't.

Neither has proven nor disproven the other. And until science can disprove God, to state he doesn't exist is akin to the worlds view on Galileo or the idea that the world really wasn't flat: Until you have proof, you can't say it's not right.

And the circular reasoning continues....the burden of proof is on the one who claims an existence, not the other way around.

Science is provable in the sense that the experiment can be replicated in any part of the world and still yield the same results. And for the the majority of the facts, they are still provable decades or centuries later...that is pretty hard core science there. Can it change, absolutely but once it does, the observable evidence is again able to be replicated by peer review regardless of beliefs.

One does not need to disprove something to say it does not exist. See earlier posts about unicorns and leprechauns and the like...

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I don't think EMTLife.com is the appropriate place to discuss the existence or non-existence of a Supreme Entity.

Instead, why don't we get back to the original topic of this thread...EMS providers interactions with patients religious beliefs.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Last chance to get back on topic.

WickedGood

Forum Crew Member
OK back on topic-- how DO you handle it when someone who has a different religion than you confronts you about it. I am going to use christianity because that's the most common one around here and generally the most proselytizing as well. Most people around here will just assume you are christian which I find offensive. If someone wants to talk about god's will and how it gave them cancer, COPD or hepatitis or maybe how it saved their lives I will just nod and smile. BUT I will draw a very clear line of NO when asked to pray with a patient and I will politely declined an offer to pray for me. I will NOT lie if a pt asks me if I am christian. Never been asked about muslim, jewish, hindu etc..... For the record. I don't spout off no I'm an atheist/secular humanist or anything like that unless they asked specifically. I'm usually just like.. nope not a christian.

Maybe it's not the best way to handle it. What do the rest of you heathens do out there? Or you christians if you are presented with a muslim who wants you to pray with them?