sunglasses

alright35

Forum Probie
ok, this may be a stupid question, but i am a new EMT, currently going to medic school. so i was curious if anybody has any recommendations on sunglasses. something good, stays on the face, all that good stuff.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I currently wear Oakley M frames... one in clear, one in polarized gray. They work great, but they're just a weeee bit expensive. I also like the Smith & Wesson glasses. They're much cheaper, and stay on my head just about as well...

My vote is for the S&W Safety glasses...

flhtci01

Forum Captain
I currently wear Wiley-X Romer II. Can change out the lenses in about 30 seconds from grey to amber or clear.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
People go through sunglasses like pen lights. I'd stick with the cheap ones.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I bought five pairs at Salvation Army for $2 each.

I drove professionally (ambulance, small rescue truck) for three years.
Try on the glasses. M ake sure they work with any glasses you wear for vision. Check for distortion. Get something with UV protection. I suggest an orange (not red) amber lens to preserve night vision and cut haze.
Don't spend more than $10 for a pair, and save your busted ones for parts.

emt_angel25

Forum Lieutenant
wal-mart or target sunglasses.......LOL thats what i got. and i love them ;)

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree with Miz, mycrofft, and angel. Buy the cheap ones, that way when your partner sits on them you are only out, what 10 bucks at the most? Less if you are smart. OK, maybe they don't look quite a cool as NEPAs, but oh well.:p

Barney_Fife

Forum Crew Member
I wear ones that are not only SPF protection, but also safety glasses. So, dual purpose, with a stylish look. Not too expensive, and wearable all the time.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
I agree with Miz, mycrofft, and angel. Buy the cheap ones, that way when your partner sits on them you are only out, what 10 bucks at the most? Less if you are smart. OK, maybe they don't look quite a cool as NEPAs, but oh well.:p

While ignoring the fact that my sunglasses make me look like a total bad@$$, there was actually a rational for purchasing them. I went through gas station sunglasses like cigarettes because I didn't care. Then I realized the cash was starting to add up. So I purchased a pair of expensive sunglasses, hoping that would force me to take care of them. Almost a year later and they're intact with the exception of a handful of minor chips in the lenses (which are replaceable ^_^).

Barney_Fife

Forum Crew Member
Lowes, the hardware super store, will replace the reddish orange safety-sunglasses, if you manage to break them. I guess when they tested them, rolling over them with a loaded stryker, wasn't on the list of assaults.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm with NEPA, I wear Oakely Half Jackets (regular lens, not XLJ), have two pairs, one Black Iridium lenses, and one clear.

Scout

Para-Noid
I know it may be a cultural thing, but i think it is the hight of rudness to wear sunglasses while engaging with a pt.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I know it may be a cultural thing, but i think it is the hight of rudness to wear sunglasses while engaging with a pt.

Agreed. But they're a good thing when the sun is beating through the windshield of the ambulance while you're trying to get through traffic, or when you're chillin', lookin' all cool at the Qwick-e-Mart.

I wear prescription glasses, so I have a pair of RayBan Aviators with my script in 'em.

Sasha

Forum Chief
My current "work" sunglasses are these:
http://www.eyesave.com/products/large_image.aspx?img=JuicyCouture.Goldie.15931.jpg

http://www.eyesave.com/styles/p15931/Sunglasses-Juicy+Couture-Goldie/index.aspx

Yes, they are expensive, but they are also good quality and last a whole lot longer than the Target and Wal-Mart sunglasses. I keep track of them, I use them for driving mostly. If I am not wearing them, they're on the top of my head (After all, sunglasses are my favorite hair accessory) or in the ambulance on the L/S control panel.

My partner is a 50 year old man, he's not gonna steal my girly sunglasses.

Last edited by a moderator:

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I have no problem wearing sunglasses during patient care if it is bright outside. My eyes tear up and close in bright sun.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I like to get my sunglasses from the hunting/fishing areas of walmart or other stores. They are moderately priced and decent sunglasses. So I don't treat them like 10$ pairs but I didn't spend an ungodly amount of money either.

Ditto, if I'm in the bright sun I can't properly do patient care. The contacts I wear increases the intensity of glare so I squint and tear up really bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I wear half jackets too, but am considering picking up a pair of the Oakley Radars to replace them (the frames are almost 4 years old and starting to wear out.