I'd kill for that.

Serious murder.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
From a management point of view, think of the thousands a company will save by diminished workman's comp bills. Plus it lowers the risk of a pt falling out.

emtpche

Forum Crew Member
That is one cool toy/tool. I thought the power gurneys by themselves were were great.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
We have six of the stryker power cots with more coming. The capital budget for the next two years calls for $720 000 for retrofitting the current fleet with "tail lifts." It doesn't specify which (probably due to the inevitable RFP process) but given that currently the UK style lifts aren't approved by the Province, so the scuttlebutt is we'll be at least trialing the Strykers.

Here's the only official info I've been able to find on it.

An official brochure.
www.tscbenelux.com/uploads/file/brochure-stryker-power-load-english.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
And here I thought the cot itself was awesome enough. That's pretty stinkin' awesome.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
How easy is it going to be to sanitize something like that?

JPINFV

Gadfly
1. What's the cost for the system?
2. How long is the warranty for a unit?
3. What is the expected lifespan of a unit?
4. How hard is it to manually override the system when it breaks?
5. What is the weight limit?
6. According to the brochure, the system includes inductive charging of the gurney. Will the constant charging/cycling damage the battery?

JPINFV

Gadfly
The brochure I linked says it can be pressure washed.

When was the last time you pressure washed a gurney or inside of an ambulance? If recent, how often?

The ability to do something and the ability to do something easily are two different attributes.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
When was the last time you pressure washed a gurney or inside of an ambulance? If recent, how often?

The ability to do something and the ability to do something easily are two different attributes.

Sorry, poorly articulated. I mean to use that line, from what little info is available, to show that it's likely water resistant and won't short out from a good wipe down. My only concern with cleaning is nooks and crannies that can't be accessed that would go along with having all those moving parts. Still increased aggravation during deep clean is worth the decrease in lifting.

Aidey

1. What's the cost for the system?
2. How long is the warranty for a unit?
3. What is the expected lifespan of a unit?
4. How hard is it to manually override the system when it breaks?
5. What is the weight limit?
6. According to the brochure, the system includes inductive charging of the gurney. Will the constant charging/cycling damage the battery?

The brochure said 700lbs, take that for what it is worth.

Frankly, gurneys are hard enough to clean properly already. That thing just screams "yuck" to me. It looks like there is some sort of track that runs under the entire length of the gurney along with the lifting unit itself. I am not keen on trying to clean blood, brain matter, vomit or any thing else from around/off that.

Its great if you can pressure wash it, but that requires that there is a pressure washer available, and you can use it in the back without soaking everything.

I can live without it. Yes, I am aware that back injuries are a big deal and lifting and back injuries go together. However, I don't believe that expensive, complicated mechanical devices are the best way to go when improving health and body mechanics would go a long way towards solving problems.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Why not just make the rear wall a hydralic ramp. Ramp goes down, push gurney up ramp, ramp goes up and seals the back?

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Why not just make the rear wall a hydralic ramp. Ramp goes down, push gurney up ramp, ramp goes up and seals the back?

Or have a section of floor drop down to form a ramp with a much smaller clearance needed? I think I've seen photos of something like that from Europe.

I think the main benefit of something like the Stryker power load is that it can be retrofitted into an existing vehicle design and chassis.

As far as body mechanics and improved health goes, certainly this will improve lifting safety and reduce injuries, but there is no safer lift for the provider than the one not done. The rest of the health care has embraced "no lift" as the ideal; unfortunately much of EMS is still lagging.

Realistically, expecting proper lifting mechanics and healthy to do the lion's share of lift-related injury prevention is a bit of a cop-out. It allows the service to place the onus on the provider and spend the lowest amount of money up front (at the risk of much higher pay outs later).

No amount of improved lifting devices will ever realistically remove all lifting from this job; the out of hospital environment just has too many uncontrollable factors and for that reason proper body mechanics remain very important. Risk still needs to be mitigated wherever possible.

Aidey

The lift into the back of the ambulance is probably the safest, most stable/controlled lift we do. If we want to reduce risk there are definitely more high risk situations to be focusing on.

mikie

Forum Lurker
I'll take one please.

saw it at the JEMS conference, was pretty stunned to see it in action myself!

Rep. said it has a 700lb capacity

JPINFV

Gadfly
Is that 700lbs including the gurney?

Also providers are going to have to remember to take into account how much crud they have on the gurney. O2 bottles, any bags, the monitor, etc are all going to add to the weight being loaded.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Is that 700lbs including the gurney?

Also providers are going to have to remember to take into account how much crud they have on the gurney. O2 bottles, any bags, the monitor, etc are all going to add to the weight being loaded.

700 lbs plus the gurney.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Looks pretty awesome. pricey, but awesome.

Last edited by a moderator: