Start up Supplies For EMT-B

sportster65

Forum Probie
As a person who feels that I must always be totally prepared way too far ahead of time, what are the recommended items I will need before starting/while in EMT-B training?

I got the book already, but was wondering what else is usually required or needed.

Thanks.

Mark

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Paper and pencil and the main thing is a mind willing to learn. Seriously, maybe a watch and a cheap stethoscope. Please, don't spend $$$$$$ on other b.s.

R/r 911

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
As someone who was proactive and a complete dork who wanted everything ahead of time, I had the basic school supplies, lots of blank flash cards, a cheap stethoscope/BP combo ($20) to practice. In retrospect I can't imagine really needing anything else before class.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
As stated above.

You may or may not need a BP cuff. I never needed one on ride-alongs and clinicals but it was required by my class for scenarios.

I also bought a very cheap pair of protective eye wear for my own use.

I'd recommend having a pocket-sized notebook for ride-alongs and clinicals.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Paper, Pens, a notebook to keep everything organized in, maybe a pocket calendar to keep track of school/clinical time and work and big test dates, a CHEAP scope. Don't go out buying a Littmann cardiology scope. I've never seen the need for those who have been in the field for years, much less a brand new student who may or may not be working in EMS.

You may or may not need a BP cuff. I never needed one on ride-alongs and clinicals but it was required by my class for scenarios.

We were never required to buy a BP cuff. We had enough in class to go around, and they was one in pretty much every bag on ride alongs.

Did you check with the instructors to see what will be needed?

Last edited by a moderator:

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
We're supplied with personal BP cuffs and steths (yes, we get to keep them :) )

OP
OP
S

sportster65

Forum Probie
Did you check with the instructors to see what will be needed?

Not yet, like I said I tend to try to prepare for things way too far in advance. I just thought there may be some across the board supplies, aside from the pens, pencils and such, that most EMT students would need for training, tools of the trade, so to speak. When I went to school for HVAC many years ago, there were several must haves that all students had to have for training. I thought perhaps there were some tools required for this training also. But I don't know, that's why I asked. I always like to be prepared early if possible.

Thanks for the input.

mark

Sasha

Forum Chief
Not yet, like I said I tend to try to prepare for things way too far in advance. I just thought there may be some across the board supplies, aside from the pens, pencils and such, that most EMT students would need for training, tools of the trade, so to speak. When I went to school for HVAC many years ago, there were several must haves that all students had to have for training. I thought perhaps there were some tools required for this training also. But I don't know, that's why I asked. I always like to be prepared early if possible.

Thanks for the input.

mark

Uh.. the best way to be prepared is finding out from the source what you will need and getting it, not from a message board.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Whether you are required or not, I have to agree that having your own BP cuff is not a bad idea. Practice makes perfect. Take every possible opportunity to practice taking a blood pressure. Some schools don't give you much clinical or ride time, so your friends and family are a handy substitute. Certainly not necessary, but neither is it a bad idea.

But I would agree that, other than a stethoscope and some protective eyewear, maybe a pair of trauma shears, are all that is absolutely necessary, unless your school specifically requires something else.

OP
OP
S

sportster65

Forum Probie
Uh.. the best way to be prepared is finding out from the source what you will need and getting it, not from a message board.

OK, I understand what you are saying and I will do just that when I can. I just thought that being a board that is dedicated to this profession, there would certainly be those who have taken or are taking the course, and I could get some insight. I kinda thought the idea of this board was to ask questions and possibly get answers. Unfortunately the school is closed for spring break, so it is not possible to get exact information from them right now. I was not looking for the exact supplies I will need to start the course, just perhaps a head's up from those who have had the training.

I'm sorry my question was so irritating to you, it was not my intention, I am just trying to gather some information and maybe be get alittle ahead of the game, if I had access to that info right now I would not ask for it here.

I do appreciate your input though, thank you.

Mark

Sasha

Forum Chief
Whoa there buddy. When did I say I was irritated?

This board is for asking questions and getting the best answer for you. But, as you have not posted what school you are going to, no one can know the exact requirements for your school and as the thread has demonstrated every school has different requirements. Even so, the only way we could tell you exactly what you needed would be if someone has gone through the same program and as there are thousands of different programs that is unlikely.

Wait until the school opens up and you can get the information specific to your situation. There's no reward for getting your supplies first and to buy more than you need is foolish and a waste of money.

reaper

Working Bum
Mark,

She is just trying to say that only the school your are going to can tell you what you need, for sure.

Go buy a cheap scope/BP cuff kit. That is a good start and you can start practicing now. Find someone to show you the correct way to take a BP and do lots of practice on friends and family!

OP
OP
S

sportster65

Forum Probie
Perhaps my question was not clear, I don't believe I asked for an exact list of items my school required for training. I asked if there were some items that all EMT's may use and have the need for during training and on the job, that perhaps i could get ahead of time.

If someone were to ask me what kind of things they would need for HVAC school, I would tell them to get a good set of gauges, a thermometer, and a 5/16 wrench, without even knowing school they were going to. Those are tools they will use in school and in the everyday performance of their job.

That was the type of question I was asking, I did ask for anything more specific. I just did not think I had to state the obvious, I know the school will give me a list of items I need.

I think most who answered understood what I was asking for, and there seemed to be a consensus of a couple of items. Thanks for your help.

Mark

Sasha

Forum Chief
Perhaps my question was not clear, I don't believe I asked for an exact list of items my school required for training. I asked if there were some items that all EMT's may use and have the need for during training and on the job, that perhaps i could get ahead of time.

If someone were to ask me what kind of things they would need for HVAC school, I would tell them to get a good set of gauges, a thermometer, and a 5/16 wrench, without even knowing school they were going to. Those are tools they will use in school and in the everyday performance of their job.

That was the type of question I was asking, I did ask for anything more specific. I just did not think I had to state the obvious, I know the school will give me a list of items I need.

I think most who answered understood what I was asking for, and there seemed to be a consensus of a couple of items. Thanks for your help.

Mark

I understood what you are saying, but I don't think you understand what I am saying. What you MIGHT need is vast. For all we know you MIGHT need the jaws of life. Heck, you may not need anything, it may all be provided ala nomo's school.

I answered your question with MY advice, if you don't like it, fine, but don't catch an attitude in your reply.

OP
OP
S

sportster65

Forum Probie
I'm not sure whats going on with you, I said I thought I had irritated you and apologized, that was not my intention. I said thank you for your input, & that it was appreciated. For some reason you seem to want to carry it to a new level with each post. If being appreciative and apologetic is an attitude in your opinion, then there is probably nothing I can say that's going to de-escalate you. So as far as I am concerned my question has been answered, thank you, and I do not see any reason for any further discussion on this matter.

Mark

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Paper and pencil and the main thing is a mind willing to learn. Seriously, maybe a watch and a cheap stethoscope. Please, don't spend $$$$$$ on other b.s.

R/r 911
I would take rid/ryders advice and really fly with the mind willing to learn part.

flhtci01

Forum Captain

R/r 911

Definitely a watch. There have been too many students that try to take a pulse or determine respiration rate with out a watch.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
This business is more about what is in between your ears when what is in them. Consider reviewing your class' textbook, A&P, a writing course, anything that will further your knowledge.
Once you get to work, just about everything you need will be on the ambulance.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Also highly recommended for student success:

Razor(s)
Deodorant
Mouthwash
Shoe shine kit
Steam iron and spray starch

Everything else you need, except for the aforementioned watch and eye protection, should be on the ambulance already.