Start up Supplies For EMT-B

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Also consider buying stock in Dunkin Donuts, Red Bull, whatever your poison.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Definitely a watch. There have been too many students that try to take a pulse or determine respiration rate with out a watch.

What!?! You mean feeling for a few seconds and stating it "feels like it's in the 70's" isn't acceptable? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Definitely up to you what you get. When your on the ambulance you will have everything you need. But just about everyone in my area has some basic stuff they keep on their person so they don't have to go digging through the bags/cabinets on the rig.

Here's what I would reccomend.
A good stethoscope, doesn't have to be expensive. Just something that works good for you. I am a littman fan, so that's what I reccomend.

Trauma Shears, very handy for removing clothing, etc.

EMS pocket field guide, nice to have. Don't really use it on the ambulance but more as a study guide.

BP Cuff, doesn't have to be fancy just get a decent one and practice.

Watch, taking pulse/respirations

pen light, can be handy

Those are some basic things I would have. If there was something else you were thinking of getting, post it here and we can give you a better idea if you will need it or not.

PS, if you do get an expensive/nice scope, get a name tag for it so it's less likely someone will walk off with it.

Hope that helps.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
lots and lots of pens

Sasha

Forum Chief
I am a littman fan, so that's what I reccomend.

I wouldn't recommend a Littmann to a new student. There's no guarentee you will like what you are doing and will want to stay. A prestige medical sprauge is $14 at Wal-Mart and will get the job done what you, an EMT student, will need it to do. If afterwards you plan on going to Medic school and plan on making this your career (After you exprience tedious periods where you're so bored you want to claw your brain out, the patients who aren't all in need of drastic field intervention like TV leads you to believe.) spring for one of the lower end Littmann's. I've never seen a paramedic who needed a cardiology III scope. Some like the status, some are really deaf and need a special kind of scope with a hearing aid attachment. And until you're used to having a scope with you all the time, you're prone to forget it in the ambulance or in a patient room, and let me tell you, you can have your name on it in a tag, engraved in it, written all over the tubing. Someone'll rip the name tag off, rub out the engraving, and get a scope cover. The only way to prevent theft is A) Having a cheapy scope no one wants, or B ) Never letting it out of your sight.

Watch, taking pulse/respirations

Make sure the watch is capable of counting seconds if it's digital, analog is the best way to go.

EMS pocket field guide

I'd wait 'til you're in Medic school for that, if you go. Simply because the basic level one is a waste of money, but getting a more advanced one before you're ready for it isn't a bright idea either. To quote the critical care medic at my old job "I hate these pocket guides. It makes students think they know more than they know without really understanding any of it"

One thing I would recommend is a pocket sized note pad or post-it notes. I took them with me on calls and while working, so if I heard a medication or a disease I'd never heard of before, I'd write it down to remember to look it up later. It helped a lot, when someone was taking medications but they didn't know why, it helped me speculate as to what kind of medical history they may have and help to form a working diagnosis.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
I wouldn't recommend a Littmann to a new student. There's no guarentee you will like what you are doing and will want to stay. A prestige medical sprauge is $14 at Wal-Mart and will get the job done what you, an EMT student, will need it to do. If afterwards you plan on going to Medic school and plan on making this your career (After you exprience tedious periods where you're so bored you want to claw your brain out, the patients who aren't all in need of drastic field intervention like TV leads you to believe.) spring for one of the lower end Littmann's. I've never seen a paramedic who needed a cardiology III scope. Some like the status, some are really deaf and need a special kind of scope with a hearing aid attachment. And until you're used to having a scope with you all the time, you're prone to forget it in the ambulance or in a patient room, and let me tell you, you can have your name on it in a tag, engraved in it, written all over the tubing. Someone'll rip the name tag off, rub out the engraving, and get a scope cover. The only way to prevent theft is A) Having a cheapy scope no one wants, or B ) Never letting it out of your sight.

Make sure the watch is capable of counting seconds if it's digital, analog is the best way to go.

I'd wait 'til you're in Medic school for that, if you go. Simply because the basic level one is a waste of money, but getting a more advanced one before you're ready for it isn't a bright idea either. To quote the critical care medic at my old job "I hate these pocket guides. It makes students think they know more than they know without really understanding any of it"

One thing I would recommend is a pocket sized note pad or post-it notes. I took them with me on calls and while working, so if I heard a medication or a disease I'd never heard of before, I'd write it down to remember to look it up later. It helped a lot, when someone was taking medications but they didn't know why, it helped me speculate as to what kind of medical history they may have and help to form a working diagnosis.

True, I am assuming the OP knows he wants to be in EMS. Don't go wasting money if it's not what you want to be doing in the long run. As for the scope thing there have been many threads on this and I reccomend the Littmans because they work best for me. The Sprauge style doesn't seem to work well for me PERSONALLY. YMMV. I have a ALS pocket guide for looking up advanced procedures after calls and increasing my knowledge before medic school.

Again though this is just my advice. I am just giving ideas, which is what the OP asked for. He/she certainly can decide what they want to spend and pay for.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Safety glasses. Trust me, the first time you get bodily fluids on your face in a clinical, you'll thank me.

Pocket notebook. Taking notes on a call, scenario or not.

Lots of pens.

Stetho/bp cuff/cheap pen light--- even if never used in class, USE THEM outside of class to practice. You'll one-up your classmates. I bought a Littmann on sale for $64 and love it. DON'T LOSE IT!

Comfortable boots.

Willingness to screw up and learn. Aside from Sasha, none of use were born with EMS in our blood.

Sasha

Forum Chief
True, I am assuming the OP knows he wants to be in EMS.

How many people get into EMS with the romantic and heroic idea of what they think EMS is going to be like and are slapped in the face when reality hits them and they decide that it isn't what they want to do?

trevor1189

Forum Captain
How many people get into EMS with the romantic and heroic idea of what they think EMS is going to be like and are slapped in the face when reality hits them and they decide that it isn't what they want to do?

Plenty I'm sure. But like I said I was just assuming and I have no idea whether the OP will remain in EMS. But buying a quality scope isn't a bad idea in my opinion. Even if you decide it isn't for you a good scope can always be resold.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Plenty I'm sure. But like I said I was just assuming and I have no idea whether the OP will remain in EMS. But buying a quality scope isn't a bad idea in my opinion. Even if you decide it isn't for you a good scope can always be resold.

Why buy more than what you need if you don't know if you're going to stay in EMS?

When you buy Littmann, you're paying for the brand, anyway. I've recently had the pleasure of toying around with a Kila scope. Half the price, just as good.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Why buy more than what you need if you don't know if you're going to stay in EMS?

When you buy Littmann, you're paying for the brand, anyway. I've recently had the pleasure of toying around with a Kila scope. Half the price, just as good.
That's fine. OP asked for opinions. I gave him mine. Yours may very and that is fine too.

I have a littman and have used several different models and I like them. I didn't say he HAS to have a Littman I just said that's what I recommend. I do not like the sprauge style. The dual tubes create too many artifacts.

Sasha

Forum Chief
That's fine. OP asked for opinions. I gave him mine. Yours may very and that is fine too.

I have a littman and have used several different models and I like them. I didn't say he HAS to have a Littman I just said that's what I recommend. I do not like the sprauge style. The dual tubes create too many artifacts.

Littmann's are not the only brand to make a single tube. A kila, for example:
http://www.kila.com/specscardio.html and only $35

trevor1189

Forum Captain
A prestige medical sprauge is $14 at Wal-Mart and will get the job done what you, an EMT student, will need it to do.

Littmann's are not the only brand to make a single tube. A kila, for example:
http://www.kila.com/specscardio.html and only $35

I never said they were the only one with single tube design. YOU were the one that recommended a sprauge, I said I didn't like them because of the dual tube design. Again please stop dismissing my opinion just because yours differs. Hell if the OP wants to go out and buy a $300 electronic stethoscope that's his or her prerogative.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I never said they were the only one with single tube design. YOU were the one that recommended a sprauge, I said I didn't like them because of the dual tube design. Again please stop dismissing my opinion just because yours differs. Hell if the OP wants to go out and buy a $300 electronic stethoscope that's his or her prerogative.

I am offering a different option, dear, with an example to back it up. So you don't like a sprauge, there are other, cheaper options over a Littmann with similar or better acoustics and some even have a better warranty. When you buy a Littmann you are paying for the Littmann name, which is becoming less and less favorable.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
maybe a pen light?

Don't go out and buy a bat belt. You'll have no need for the forceps, 30 foot high tensil repelling cord with grappling hook, 6 D-cell maglight, crocodile dundee bush knife, an i-phone with enough medical software to make an intensivist or PhD in pathology jealous, scalpel, oto/opthalmoscopes, and foldable caltrops for a quick get away.

(though you may get an honorary award for letting the air out of the tires on the competing IFT company's truck) ;)

Go with the consensus,
cheap steth (somebody is bound to get you a good one as a graduation or holiday gift)
Manual BP cuff
$5 trauma shears (unless you can score some off the drug rep)
Maybe some pens
(and I think a pen light)

trevor1189

Forum Captain
I am offering a different option, dear, with an example to back it up. So you don't like a sprauge, there are other, cheaper options over a Littmann with similar or better acoustics and some even have a better warranty. When you buy a Littmann you are paying for the Littmann name, which is becoming less and less favorable.

Again, you don't seem to understand that I recommend a Littman and you recommend something else. That's fine. The OP can decide what they want. I didn't give them an order to go out and buy a Littman. I am just informing the OP what I have and like.

Sure the cheaper options are out there and they might even be better. I am not saying they aren't, just saying what I have and like.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Hey my thoughts are you should wait a bit to get anything you may think of buying. On the first day of class you may realize that EMS is not for you, or you may fail out before even getting to go on clinicals or get to the assessment part, which is a reality. Or more positive and more optimistic sounding, you may find out you dont need to buy certain things.

paemt08

Forum Probie
As others have said, willingness to learn and study, as well as a sense of humor, are essentials. Other than that you will only really need pens, regular notebook as well as pocket notebook for scenarios/calls, and a watch. Oh, and maybe some breath mints :p Everything else, such as a good stethescope and trauma sheers, etc., are unnecessary until you work as a provider.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Anatomy, physiology, biochemisty, histology, general chemistry, physics, college level writing, pathology and lab courses as appropriate.

rmellish

Forum Captain
Anatomy, physiology, biochemisty, histology, general chemistry, physics, college level writing, pathology and lab courses as appropriate.

Exactly...

Alright, maybe I was spoiled because my 600 some odd dollar course provided me with a five dollar scope, five dollar bp cuff, and cheap set of trauma shears.

Don't bother with a field guide yet.

Heck, don't waste the money on a pair of shoes you might never wear...unless you are required to have the safety toe aspect.

Take the class, decide if the job fits you, actually get a provider position, then buy what you need I didn't buy my scope until I was a month into my first EMT-B job. Two years later I'm just now starting to cruise ebay looking for a nicer, and less beat up scope before I start medic class in the fall.

If you're really looking to be prepared, make sure you have your Hep-B vaccine :)