Stairs + Cardiac Arrest

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
A study our department just released and presented at the ACEP Convention:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22834854/

Of patients who were transported without ROSC: 0.69% survival rate for patients not in asystole; 0% survival rate for asystolic patients.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Used to rock them on a barrel for drowning.
Yes, I know... Made for some interesting discussion in my Lifeguard class when we went over some Lifeguarding history, and that was some 20 years ago. :blink:

OP
OP
cointosser13

cointosser13

Forum Crew Member
See posts recently about Trendelenberg.

Besides that, think physics. Lying flat, circulation is basically gravity-neutral. Tilt anything up or down, and the blood is harder to get into or out of that sector.
Try lying with your head over the edge of the bed for long. Now think that the pump sending blood down into your head is working at 30% (or less) capacity. Blood needs to circulate, not just "go" someplace.
And of course (go back to first sentence) and all physiologic effects side, mechanically Trendelenberg and effective CPR are ineffective together, unless you have an effective automatic thumper which will wowk traveling down a staircase at 30 deg. inclunation.

Well what if you did use an automatic thumper (we call it the LUCAS at our place), while going down the stairs. With the automatic thumper, and somebody doing artificial ventilations, would that factor in a better chance of ROSC if the patient is positioned 30 or so degrees down (head first) while going down the stair. Or factors like that are too small and just don't matter? Would anything change?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Well what if you did use an automatic thumper (we call it the LUCAS at our place), while going down the stairs. With the automatic thumper, and somebody doing artificial ventilations, would that factor in a better chance of ROSC if the patient is positioned 30 or so degrees down (head first) while going down the stair. Or factors like that are too small and just don't matter? Would anything change?

Dude, we can guess all day long, but no one has done any kind of research on if carrying a patient head up or head down with automated CPR makes any difference in cerebral perfusion. All we can provide for you on this topic is a bunch of opinions. Again, the bigger deal here is avoiding doing any kind of chest compressions (automated or otherwise) while moving the patient down stairs. Picture the scenario you're laying out here. You mentioned a 300 lb patient; coming from an upper level; being carried down stairs with a LUCAS, and someone else is supposedly trying to provide ventilations as well? This is a bad looking situation that could be very easily avoided. Don't make things harder on yourself.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The point of Lucas devices isn't to make it easier to transport arrests, it's to reliably ensure high quality compressions. Even with mechanical arrests we still should not make a habit of transporting arrests unless certain circumstances are met.

NObama

Forum Ride Along
lol i love how the general consensus is, "eff it, do your best to call them," which I am completely on board with, I cant wait till our system starts making an aggressive stance against transporting full arrests, but did anyone answer the guys question?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Yes. The question was answered, (transporting a patient head first, down stairs, while working a code is a bad idea) but more importantly, the rational behind most of us electing to terminate efforts and NOT transporting arrests was explained.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
A study our department just released and presented at the ACEP Convention:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22834854/

Of patients who were transported without ROSC: 0.69% survival rate for patients not in asystole; 0% survival rate for asystolic patients.

Thanks for posting this!

I wish more places would realize the futility (and added risk) of emergent transport without ROSC.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
lol i love how the general consensus is, "eff it, do your best to call them," which I am completely on board with, I cant wait till our system starts making an aggressive stance against transporting full arrests, but did anyone answer the guys question?

It's not really an "aggressive stance" to not transport every arrest when you look at the numbers that STX just posted.

CFal

Forum Captain
how about CPR in a moving toboggan? our protocol is to have stops along the way to do a round of cpr and continue down

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
how about CPR in a moving toboggan? our protocol is to have stops along the way to do a round of cpr and continue down

Couldn't be all that effective I'd imagine. If I remember right you guys have ALS on the mountain, seems like it be worth working it on the hill and if you get ROSC then work on a careful transport down or possibly flying them, that's how some mountains out here operate.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Couldn't be all that effective I'd imagine. If I remember right you guys have ALS on the mountain, seems like it be worth working it on the hill and if you get ROSC then work on a careful transport down or possibly flying them, that's how some mountains out here operate.

If it were me that's how I'd do it. Cause the helo isn't gonna take them and most of my ground counterparts, myself included, would be very opposed to transporting someone with CPR in progress from the hill considering its a curvy 45 minute ride to the closest ED.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief

You make it sound like staying on scene is somehow a flippant choice...

EMS owns out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. It is our responsibility to resuscitate patients in the field, not the hospital's. The reality of the situation is your patients arrest too far away from the ED, so we have to do it where we find them.

This is not an aggressive stance, well Ok maybe it was "aggressive" in 2005 or 2006...my EMT class in the very beginning of '07 stressed working patients where you found them.

As for answering the OP's question...when you have to start describing the logistics of moving someone anywhere during active resus the answer is obvious: don't freaking move them. Move the resuscitation to the patient.

It is ridiculous that we even wonder about this anymore.

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief
You make it sound like staying on scene is somehow a flippant choice...

EMS owns out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. It is our responsibility to resuscitate patients in the field, not the hospital's. The reality of the situation is your patients arrest too far away from the ED, so we have to do it where we find them.

This is not an aggressive stance, well Ok maybe it was "aggressive" in 2005 or 2006...my EMT class in the very beginning of '07 stressed working patients where you found them.

As for answering the OP's question...when you have to start describing the logistics of moving someone anywhere during active resus the answer is obvious: don't freaking move them. Move the resuscitation to the patient.

It is ridiculous that we even wonder about this anymore.

Down here just south of you we still have issues because several of the counties around here require online medical control to call a code once you have started working it. And there are several area doctors that want to pronounce everything themselves and refuse to call a code in the field regardless of transport time (once you have started working them). It's a old fashioned protocol issue down here

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Down here just south of you we still have issues because several of the counties around here require online medical control to call a code once you have started working it. And there are several area doctors that want to pronounce everything themselves and refuse to call a code in the field regardless of transport time (once you have started working them). It's a old fashioned protocol issue down here

Rarely we're asked to transport by an MD unfamiliar with modern resuscitation...and we usually can help them make the right call: "Are you sure? We've worked them for 45 minutes, persistent asystole for the last 10 minutes, and EtCO2 is now sub 10 mmHg. We're not likely going to improve anything by driving 15 minutes to your facility. Is there something we're missing?"

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief
Rarely we're asked to transport by an MD unfamiliar with modern resuscitation...and we usually can help them make the right call: "Are you sure? We've worked them for 45 minutes, persistent asystole for the last 10 minutes, and EtCO2 is now sub 10 mmHg. We're not likely going to improve anything by driving 15 minutes to your facility. Is there something we're missing?"

Woopsie post