Stabbing

eastman

Forum Probie
Reaction score
Last thursday was my first day on the ambulance for a surrounding town's volunteer service. My first call was a man stabbed eight times. He had wounds all over his chest and even a few on his back (steak knife). Upon arrival I noticed that the patient was gasping for breath and actually stopped breathing as we were moving him to the stretcher. My FTO and I frantically began CPR + bvm after loading the patient on to the ambulance and the medic began providing ALS treatment (deflating lungs + epis). The patient was pronounced dead shortly after we got him into the trauma room, I wasn't really surprised because he was gushin blood the whole time. During the call I saw the medic drill into the patient's leg, anyone know what that's called?

It's an IO. Intraosseous. If you can't establish an IV or in times of cardiac arrest it is a good option. Meds and fluids go into the bone and into the blood stream that way.

And as a point if interest, the medic didn't "deflate the lungs", he decompressed the chest in the hope that relieving a tension pneumothorax (air in the chest cavity, which causes the lungs to collapse) would allow the lungs to reinflate.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks @Anjel and thank you too @DEmedic the medic we worked with simply told me what he was doing and I wanted to share, I'm still learning!

That is one heck of a first call.

And as a point if interest, the medic didn't "deflate the lungs", he compressed the chest in the hope that relieving a tension pneumothorax (air in the chest cavity, which causes the lungs to collapse) would allow the lungs to reinflate.

He DEcompressed the chest.

Only pointing out the typo so as not to confuse the OP.

IO is an ALS skill. EMT B & EMT I are not allowed to perform this procedure, though as an EMT I we do learn about them in case we need to assist EMT Ps in the field.

IO is an ALS skill. EMT B & EMT I are not allowed to perform this procedure, though as an EMT I we do learn about them in case we need to assist EMT Ps in the field.

You're incorrect.

AEMT/EMT-Is can most definitely place IOs.

6eqa7a2a.jpg

I also believe that EMT-Bs can establish them in cardiac arrests in certain areas.

nope. not here they can't. restricted to ALS.

Then you need to specify that you are talking about your area, and not make a blanket statement.

You're incorrect.

AEMT/EMT-Is can most definitely place IOs.

6eqa7a2a.jpg

I also believe that EMT-Bs can establish them in cardiac arrests in certain areas.

I like "Critical Care Paramedic"....Same as Paramedic :P

CC Nurses can place Fem lines, chest tubes, and do pericardiocentesis? Where do I sign up?!?

I like "Critical Care Paramedic"....Same as Paramedic :P

CC Nurses can place Fem lines, chest tubes, and do pericardiocentesis? Where do I sign up?!?

We don't have "CCP" designation here either. EMT-P is at the top of the food chain, and if you fly, most services will provide additional training/sims etc but unfortunately we don't have that designation.

Back