So I want to get a gun

JPINFV

Gadfly
5=4. When I read the words "enjoy" or "love" in conjunction with firearms, I'm outta here. Like saying you're in love with your stapler or toilet plunger.
That is, unless you anticipate being attacked on the street?
Anyway, have fun.

What about if the words "love" or "enjoy" were applied to something else, like say a sports car?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
27977.jpg

As Cruise says on "LIFE": "I am not attached to this car".

JPINFV

Gadfly
27977.jpg

As Cruise says on "LIFE": "I am not attached to this car".

I just started rewatching the second season today. How did that show ever go off the air?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
They told them not to come in anymore and leased out their offices?

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Long story short check out and join a local gun club. They may have club guns you can use and most likely offer training. After you get to use a number of different guns you'll have a better idea of what you want. Strongly consider getting a 22lr such as a Ruger MKII, Hi Standard etc. Always good used ones around. Easy to shoot, ammo is cheap so you can afford to shoot it. The more you shoot the better you will get.
Guns should be stored unloaded and locked up at a minimum. Check your local laws.
Want a gun for self defense etc.? Join a club, get training etc.....

hogwiley

Forum Captain
If its strictly for target shooting, get a .22 LR, like a ruger mark III. The gun is cheap, ammo will be cheap, and the gun will be good for learning the fundamentals on. Women wont have any difficulty shooting it either.

If the gun is also going to double as a self defense tool, then get something in 9mm. Go to a gun store that has a good selection, and see what fits your hand well. How the gun feels, how the trigger pull feels(one of the most important things for shooting accurately), and how much you are looking to spend would dictate which exact gun is for you. Be wary of really cheap guns, like HI point, they arent going to be durable, accurate, or reliable.

A beretta 92fs is a reliable, accurate and safe gun. (although grip might be too large for women). They can be found for under 600 I think. Its also the handgun the US military uses, which is where I learned to shoot it.

Im not a big fan of concealed carry permits myself. Having a gun with you turns any confrontation into a potentially deadly one. Think of how many violent confrontations you faced as a paramedic, and how you survived them all, then consider how it would have went if the person assaulting or threatening you had grabbed a gun you were carrying, and how that would have ended. Or if you had drawn on them first, what if they dont back away, you gonna shoot em? That opens up a whole other can of legal worms.

Thats my take on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Im not a big fan of concealed carry permits myself. Having a gun with you turns any confrontation into a potentially deadly one. Think of how many violent confrontations you faced as a paramedic, and how you survived them all, then consider how it would have went if the person assaulting or threatening you had grabbed a gun you were carrying, and how that would have ended. Or if you had drawn on them first, what if they dont back away, you gonna shoot em? That opens up a whole other can of legal worms.

Thats my take on it.
For the most part, I agree with the first two paragraphs of your post. It's the last two that I want to comment on. My comments are in blue

Im not a big fan of concealed carry permits myself. No issues there. It is an individual choice.

Having a gun with you turns any confrontation into a potentially deadly one. Any confrontation is a potentially deadly one, regardless of whether or not a person is carrying a firearm.

Think of how many violent confrontations you faced as a paramedic, and how you survived them all, then consider how it would have went if the person assaulting or threatening you had grabbed a gun you were carrying, and how that would have ended. Most people that I know that carry concealed seem to make an extra effort to avoid any type of confrontation at all. But let's run another scenario here - what do you do if the person "assaulting or threatening you had grabbed a gun THEY were carrying"? Concealed carry means concealed. How is the person you are in a confrontation with going to even know to take your gun if they don't know you have one in the first place?

Or if you had drawn on them first, what if they dont back away, you gonna shoot em? That opens up a whole other can of legal worms. I know it's a cliche, but which you you prefer? Judged by 12 or carried by 6?

Thats my take on it.And that's mine.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
for the most part, i agree with the first two paragraphs of your post. It's the last two that i want to comment on. My comments are in blue

and that's mine.

plus one...

hogwiley

Forum Captain
ffemt8978
Most people that I know that carry concealed seem to make an extra effort to avoid any type of confrontation at all.

Thats a good thing, although this extra effort could also be made without a handgun.

Concealed carry means concealed. How is the person you are in a confrontation with going to even know to take your gun if they don't know you have one in the first place?

Because if you have a gun, any sort of physical contact can result in someone discovering your gun. A beligerent drunk bear hugs you. Without a gun thats an annoying situation, WITH a gun it becomes a life threatening situation.

But let's run another scenario here - what do you do if the person "assaulting or threatening you had grabbed a gun THEY were carrying"?

If they have a gun, chances are they would have already had it out before attempting to rob you or whatever. In that situation, trying to be quick draw mcgraw is probably MORE likely to get you killed than simply giving them your wallet or car keys.

Then there is the problem of law enforcement coming across you with a gun drawn, which could very well result in you getting shot by a nervous cop. Plus the legal issues I mentioned. I personally would probably rather risk death(or more likely a serious butt kicking) than spend life in prison, but thats me.

Finally, it just seems like a big hassle. BECAUSE you have to be extra careful and continually conscious of where you can and cant go and ensuring that the gun is concealed at all times. Not to mention having a gun jabbing into your side and pulling one side of your pants down seems like it would be pretty uncomfortable after a while.

Im not trying to judge people who carry a gun. I know a couple people I trust and admire who do it. I just disagree with them. (one of them uses his CCW mainly to protect against bears when hes out walking and doesnt want to open carry, which I can understand).

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm more concerned about the police deciding to stay at the doughnut store than the police shooting me because I have a firearm. See. Warren v District of Columbia.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I personally would probably rather risk death(or more likely a serious butt kicking) than spend life in prison, but thats me.

:unsure:

Hockey

Quackers
Then there is the problem of law enforcement coming across you with a gun drawn, which could very well result in you getting shot by a nervous cop. Plus the legal issues I mentioned. I personally would probably rather risk death(or more likely a serious butt kicking) than spend life in prison, but thats me.

Wat?

I have a family I go home to. Every day. On duty or off duty. Sorry you feel your life isn't important

Because if you have a gun, any sort of physical contact can result in someone discovering your gun. A beligerent drunk bear hugs you. Without a gun thats an annoying situation, WITH a gun it becomes a life threatening situation.

Excuses all the anti-gunners use. I've been hugged by drunks, and involved in small little scraps. Guess what, gun never came out or was discovered.

It's called situational awareness

Finally, it just seems like a big hassle. BECAUSE you have to be extra careful and continually conscious of where you can and cant go and ensuring that the gun is concealed at all times. Not to mention having a gun jabbing into your side and pulling one side of your pants down seems like it would be pretty uncomfortable after a while.

It's not a big hassle.

I don't always think "oh I can't carry here". I already know where I can and cannot carry. I do not look for signs saying a business doesn't want me to carry. Concealed means concealed. And here in Michigan, signs have no legal merit

Jabbing into my side, pulling one side of pants down? You know, I have that problem every now and then. But honestly, 98% of the time, I never even think of it there. Get a good belt, and even pants. Good holster and you'll never even feel it there.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I would accept the argument that death is preferable to life PMITA prison. However, even the San Francisco BART officer that basically executed a guy on video (he thought he pulled his taser when he pulled his service pistol and shot the guy at point blank range in the back) only got 2 years for involuntary man slaughter and only served about 1 year due to good behavior. So even killers eventually get out of jail.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I would accept the argument that death is preferable to life PMITA prison. However, even the San Francisco BART officer that basically executed a guy on video (he thought he pulled his taser when he pulled his service pistol and shot the guy at point blank range in the back) only got 2 years for involuntary man slaughter and only served about 1 year due to good behavior. So even killers eventually get out of jail.
Had a non-LE shot the same guy, in the same manner, and used the same defense (and actually did have a taser at the time) that person would have been prosecuted for Murder, and probably would have been convicted, and be serving 25-to-life.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'm more concerned about the police deciding to stay at the doughnut store than the police shooting me because I have a firearm. See. Warren v District of Columbia.
That and other decisions continue to prove the point that Law Enforcement is only required to protect society as a whole, not a specific person, unless police protection is specifically extended to that person. Thus, someone can lock all the doors to a school building with lots of students inside, start shooting, the police can surround the building to prevent the shooter's escape and everyone inside can be ultimately executed by the shooter, and Law Enforcement can't be held accountable because they're preventing escape, and therefore, danger to the rest of the community. Once LE has established a perimeter and they feel comfortable going in, they may do so... but they don't have to.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Had a non-LE shot the same guy, in the same manner, and used the same defense (and actually did have a taser at the time) that person would have been prosecuted for Murder, and probably would have been convicted, and be serving 25-to-life.

I disagree. There probably would have been the firearm enhancement, which would have added 5 years (2.5 after good behavior). At most it would have been voluntary manslaughter (11 years, so 16 after the firearm enhancement, which brings the total down to 8 years with good behavior) with the difference being determined by the legitimacy of the citizen's arrest. The difference between manslaughter and murder being the presence of malice. I'm normally not one to protect cops behaving badly, but the charge against Mehserle of second degree murder was absurd from the very beginning.

PS. I'm pretty sure that the firearms enhancement is 5 years, but it may be 7.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I disagree. There probably would have been the firearm enhancement, which would have added 5 years (2.5 after good behavior). At most it would have been voluntary manslaughter (11 years, so 16 after the firearm enhancement, which brings the total down to 8 years with good behavior) with the difference being determined by the legitimacy of the citizen's arrest. The difference between manslaughter and murder being the presence of malice. I'm normally not one to protect cops behaving badly, but the charge against Mehserle of second degree murder was absurd from the very beginning.

PS. I'm pretty sure that the firearms enhancement is 5 years, but it may be 7.
Here's where things go sideways: unless it's caught on camera w/ audio where it's clearly heard that the person intends to taze, it's going to look as if the shooter intended to shoot a proned-out person in the back, who doesn't have any further ability to cause GBI to the shooter because the shooter is holding the person in the prone position. I'm not claiming they'd have a successful go at 1st Degree Murder, but 2nd wouldn't be all that difficult... What got Mehserle out of the M2 conviction was the presence of witnesses and video that recorded his verbalization of intent to taze, not shoot. That further knocked down the conviction down to invol. manslaughter because he clearly didn't intend malice, but simply grabbed the wrong instrument instead, the application of which resulted in death.

Drewwoods

Forum Ride Along
I personally carry a Springfield GI-micro 1911. It's the best gun I have ever owned. Not the best for target shooting because it only has a 3" barrel, but is perfect for CC.

Other than 1911s, I highly recommend glocks, and Springfield XD.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Doc, your more then welcome to PM me, ive been a gun owner in NJ for some time and hold multiple permits.

handguns can range in cost based on model and features. A new Glock 17 runs about 500 before the Public Safety Discount. i like the glocks, and for a first time user the 9mm is not so much of a round to have prohibitive recoil or handling issues. My girl shoots it no problem, shes 5'5 115lbs. If you prefer something with a little more mustard you might consider the glock chambered in .40s&w, which is a standard police round. If your a history buff, or just like american, you cant go wrong with a Colt 1911A1 .45. Its got a little more kick but its a beautiful american firearm that will last.

I recommend Glock because it is so prolific it is easy to find parts, mods, accessories and repair techs.

I like the colt because it is a simple mechanism and you can do some work yourself if you feel comfortable.

Go to a pistol range that allows you to rent firearms and try them out. Shore Shot in Lakewood gives public safety a discount, they are very willing to guide you and provide advice.

IF your going to use it for home defense, i would recommend a shotgun, something small, i keep a Serbu super shorty under my bed, has 3+1 pump action, the foregrip folds down if you like the vertical. with a little work you can slamfire it. It is manufactured without a stock so it is considered a smoothbore handgun, so it only requires $5 tax stamp and registration as AOW(Any other Weapon) with the BATFE