So I want to get a gun

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I know there a a couple avid gun people on here, so I figured I would ask here and see where the thread goes.

here are the rules:
1) this gun WILL NOT be used on an ambulance.
2) the gun will have to be securable when not in use

primary use will be target shooting, in a range. the girl wants to shoot it too. more for pleasure than anything else.

both of us have shot before, but it's been years since I have fired any type of weapon (in the past have shot rifles, shotguns, semi-auto Uzi, etc)

questions I am looking for answers to:

how much would a handgun cost?
what type of handgun should I get?
what type of formal training (in firing, safe storage and maintenance)
what type of securing device should I get?

JPINFV

Gadfly

1/2. Depends on the handgun, however I'm more of a shotgun person myself.

3. If you don't feel trained in safe storage and handgun safety, take a course. In California, it's actually required for handguns. The reality is that safe firearm use is really "common sense" (treat all firearms as if they're loaded until verified they aren't (e.g. cleaning, etc), never point a firearm at anything you aren't willing to destroy, never load a firearm until ready to use it, finger off the trigger until ready to fire, and know your target and what's beyond it).

Similarly, for storage, get a locking case. A safe is ideal, but reality is unless you have a serious amount of firearms and/or are planning on living someplace for a long time, a locking travel case works.

For maintenance, either get someone to show you that is familiar with that firearm, or simply go through the manual. The manual will also cover what needs to be done (i.e. what needs to be oiled) before firing it for the first time.

4. Personally, I'm partial for cable locks as they are used in a manner that precludes the ability to load a firearm when used correctly. However, use it with either a locking case or safe. Security in layers.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief

My problem with that is that it is kinda hard to conceal a shotgun; unless you are into trench coats.

Springfield XD40 - Service Model; just my opinion.

JPINFV

Gadfly
My problem with that is that it is kinda hard to conceal a shotgun; unless you are into trench coats.

My problem is that I currently live in LA County with my permanent address being my parent's house in San Diego county. As such, I have almost zero chance of actually acquiring a CCW permit.

Also, open unloaded carry of long arms is still legal. ;)

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant
I have a model 60 .38 special with the Hogue Bantam grips. Its only 5 shots, but the JHPs make big holes in things. I keep it loaded and holstered in the night stand with a speed reloader and flashlight next to it, no need for a gun lock, as A) I have no kids and B) the trigger pull is heavy enough that only a teen/adult could even fire the gun.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I know there a a couple avid gun people on here, so I figured I would ask here and see where the thread goes.

here are the rules:
1) this gun WILL NOT be used on an ambulance.
2) the gun will have to be securable when not in use

primary use will be target shooting, in a range. the girl wants to shoot it too. more for pleasure than anything else.

both of us have shot before, but it's been years since I have fired any type of weapon (in the past have shot rifles, shotguns, semi-auto Uzi, etc)

Being that you're from New Jersey, that presents a bunch of different issues than some of the rest of us have to deal with.New Jersey has a permit system. If memory serves, or the purchase, acquisition and or keeping of pistols, and/or other firearms. It actually could be that no permit is required to have a weapon at the house. However, it could also be that you do need a permit for transport. You will need to check on that. You will probably be best served in terms of actual security of the weapon, by acquiring a small safe or some other lockbox type device that would make it more difficult for someone to gain access to the weapon without having to break something else open.

As to handguns, the cost varies dramatically. You can buy one that is perhaps a couple of hundred dollars or a couple of thousand dollars. This goes for both revolvers and pistols.

If you're looking for something purely for target practice, I would suggest something along the lines of a .22 LR, 38 special, 9 mm, or even a .357 revolver loaded with 38 special.

As to actual firearms training, I would suggest contacting a local range and finding out from them what the process is to acquire and practice with a firearm in your state. Something else struck me while I was writing this, it is possible that New Jersey may have a law that states you must have a purchase permit in order to even handle a firearm. I'm in California, our laws can be very different from what you have in New Jersey.

There should be some fairly active Internet forums on the subject that pertain to your state. Some of the New York forums may have some people that are very knowledgeable about New Jersey law due to the proximity of the two states.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

3. If you don't feel trained in safe storage and handgun safety, take a course. In California, it's actually required for handguns. The reality is that safe firearm use is really "common sense" (treat all firearms as if they're loaded until verified they aren't (e.g. cleaning, etc), never point a firearm at anything you aren't willing to destroy, never load a firearm until ready to use it, finger off the trigger until ready to fire, and know your target and what's beyond it).

Similarly, for storage, get a locking case. A safe is ideal, but reality is unless you have a serious amount of firearms and/or are planning on living someplace for a long time, a locking travel case works.

For maintenance, either get someone to show you that is familiar with that firearm, or simply go through the manual. The manual will also cover what needs to be done (i.e. what needs to be oiled) before firing it for the first time.

4. Personally, I'm partial for cable locks as they are used in a manner that precludes the ability to load a firearm when used correctly. However, use it with either a locking case or safe. Security in layers.
Believe it or not, you do not have to take a safety course in California for the purchase of a handgun. You have to have an HSC or an exemption to it in order to acquire a handgun, generally speaking. The HSC is simply a handgun safety certificate that you can get by paying a $25 fee and taking an exam (which most boneheads can pass), and a very easy functional test, which is basically how do you load and unload the weapon safely. There is no course that is required. There are a bunch of exemptions to the HSC, I have two of them. Those exemptions are listed in the Penal Code, relatively easy to find, and at least one or two of them are good for life.

Cable locks work well a cable lock does not satisfy California's requirement for safe storage of a firearm in residences where children might be reasonably expected to be able to access the firearm and use it in a dangerous manner. Should a child find a weapon out in the open, in a residence, a loaded and use it defensively, the safe storage law does not apply. If you do not normally expect to have children in your residence, you do not have to secure your arms at all. There would be no violation of the law in that instance.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
My problem is that I currently live in LA County with my permanent address being my parent's house in San Diego county. As such, I have almost zero chance of actually acquiring a CCW permit.

Also, open unloaded carry of long arms is still legal. ;)

Unfortunately for you JP, both of your addresses belong to some very restrictive counties. Give this issue some time, perhaps a year or two, and I think you'll find that the situation in either county will change for the better. Your chances of acquiring a CCW would improve slightly if you were to move to Orange County, however their Sheriff is a lot more restrictive than the previous Sheriff was. I have quite a few friends in Orange County that have had to deal with the transition from one Sheriff to another, most of them lost their licenses to carry simply because the new Sheriff revoked them.

Perhaps once you get your D.O., you can move your official residence to a county that issues if any of the lawsuits aren't decided yet. There are quite a few of them that have been filed in multiple counties across the state that deal with the CCW issue specifically.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

The Springfield XD series are pretty good, their only flaw is that they can be locked up relatively easily if you know how to do it. Unlocking it would require a trip to a gunsmith or more possibly having to be sent back to Springfield.
Yes I do know I'm talking about in this matter. A number of my friends have managed to do it. The best way to avoid the problem is to simply make sure that the grip safety is completely depressed when manipulating the slide. An aftermarket grip safety is available, but it does not completely fix the problem. It simply makes the problem a lot more difficult to create.

Probably the most interesting thing about the XD series is that the original HS-2000 handgun that it is directly descended from (same gun) is designed to use just about any magazine that you find commonly in Croatia. In particular the Beretta 92 FS magazines can be very easily modified to work with the XD.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
The Springfield XD series are pretty good, their only flaw is that they can be locked up relatively easily if you know how to do it. Unlocking it would require a trip to a gunsmith or more possibly having to be sent back to Springfield.
Yes I do know I'm talking about in this matter. A number of my friends have managed to do it. The best way to avoid the problem is to simply make sure that the grip safety is completely depressed when manipulating the slide. An aftermarket grip safety is available, but it does not completely fix the problem. It simply makes the problem a lot more difficult to create.

Probably the most interesting thing about the XD series is that the original HS-2000 handgun that it is directly descended from (same gun) is designed to use just about any magazine that you find commonly in Croatia. In particular the Beretta 92 FS magazines can be very easily modified to work with the XD.

I'll second the Springfield XDs. My wife has one and loves it.

Being in EMS gets you access to Glock's public safety discount which makes the prices cheap. If you don't mind a Glock.

Backwoods

Forum Crew Member

1. Depends on what model, where you get it from, and if its new or used
2. Id recommend any 1911-style pistol for home defense, and a Ruger Mark III for target shooting...JMO
3. Gun safety course
4. Id recommend something similar to this:http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...=SBC;MMcat104792580;cat104730480;cat104369580

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
Not everyone should own a gun. If you do decide to get one there is no way for any of us to tell you what is best for you. After getting extensive education about firearms you need to handle multiple different ones to find what this you properly. There is a good chance your better half will feel better with a different one so expect to buy 2. Firearms are not toys or status symbols, only buy if you are serious about using it properly and safely

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Believe it or not, you do not have to take a safety course in California for the purchase of a handgun. You have to have an HSC or an exemption to it in order to acquire a handgun, generally speaking. The HSC is simply a handgun safety certificate that you can get by paying a $25 fee and taking an exam (which most boneheads can pass), and a very easy functional test, which is basically how do you load and unload the weapon safely. There is no course that is required. There are a bunch of exemptions to the HSC, I have two of them. Those exemptions are listed in the Penal Code, relatively easy to find, and at least one or two of them are good for life.

Cable locks work well a cable lock does not satisfy California's requirement for safe storage of a firearm in residences where children might be reasonably expected to be able to access the firearm and use it in a dangerous manner. Should a child find a weapon out in the open, in a residence, a loaded and use it defensively, the safe storage law does not apply. If you do not normally expect to have children in your residence, you do not have to secure your arms at all. There would be no violation of the law in that instance.
Ah, I was under impression that the HSC actually required a course. Of course while California has a bunch of requirements to own a handgun (HSC, registration, etc), long guns are relatively unregulated in comparison outside of the 'evil black rifle' (assault weapon) ban.

As far as cable locks, when I went in and picked up the supplies I needed to bring my shotgun up from my parent's house (lock, case, cleaning supplies, etc) I was told at Turners Outdoor that it was the trigger locks that were having issues being certified in CA.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Firearms are not toys or status symbols, only buy if you are serious about using it properly and safely

My shotgun is primarily a toy. My main, and pretty much only use, is taking it down to the range and shooting orange clay discs out of the air for my enjoyment. Hence, it is a toy. A dangerous toy that needs to be used carefully? Definitely. A dangerous toy that needs to be secured when not in use? Yes. However a toy none the less.

Just because a firearm is used as a toy for enjoyment does not relive the operator from safe use, just like it doesn't relieve an operator of a motor vehicle from driving his or her car in a safe manner or someone playing baseball make sure they aren't going to smack someone else up alongside the head with a baseball bat.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
You've already gotten several answers on the type of handgun you should get (didn't read replies but a member of enough gun forums to know how this went).

The most simple and straight forward answer I can give you is get what fits your hand. This is even more challenging since there will be two of you using it. Get out and fondle as many guns as you can.

Only when you find one or more that fits will you have a price range. Your looking at anywhere from a couple hundred (hi point) to a few thousand (nighthawk custom (my dream gun)).

Also I did see the Glock discount mentioned. As of mid last year EMS was no longer on the discount list. I have spoken to a couple Glock reps that said it is still honored. However don't be surprised if a gun shop gives you grief. Better to order direct from a rep IMO.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
The most simple and straight forward answer I can give you is get what fits your hand. This is even more challenging since there will be two of you using it. Get out and fondle as many guns as you can.

Only when you find one or more that fits will you have a price range

Agreed. Everyone tells me "glock!" But they have never felt right. Althought being similar in many respects, there is enough difference in the feel of the XD to be right for me. Besides, the act of getting out and fondleing guns can't be beat... I am always up for a good fondle... :D

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Just target shooting?
Why not emulate Olympic shooting and use what they do? They start with thirty meter air rifles, and up. Of course, the real deal for that is very expensive, but you have a standard to meet and compete against then.

Me, if I was starting back up, I'd get a good .22 bolt or semi-auto rifle. Cheap(er), light, ammo not as expensive nor as big to store or lug, and if you change your mind or it is lost/stolen, not a big a deal to quit or restart. If you want to expand into plinking varmints, fine. The exercise is on control, not caliber.

If you want to put bigger holes in stuff with a handgun, I'm prejudiced towards the M-9 Beretta 9mm. Not much recoil, easy to clean and fairly forgiving. Again, if just for marksmanship, then the lighter the caliber the easier and less expensive it is all around, just do't buy junk.

Can't restrain myself: The Blunderbuss!
M-79 with "beehive" flechette rounds.
573804.1.jpg

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
One word "crossbow".