Slip-On Boots

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Anyone wear slip-on boots?

My new fulltime gig is out of a fire station and I need new boots. I wear my hiking boots at my rural place right now, but that's not going to fly in the city.

I saw these Thorogood boots at the uniform store. They look pretty sweet, does anyone wear them or anything similar? Do they stay on your feet ok? Comfortable and not too hot?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I use side zipper magnums. Love them.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I've never seen these particular boots IRL, but I hate Thorogoods in general. They don't wear well on the leather (it chips and scuffs really poorly). Also, I think that they are ugly, and look like ski boots. But that's the ones with laces. These might be way better.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IIXF6K
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069VAAO0
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CFX0L0

Those are all boots that I'd give a shot to. I use these right now. They aren't slip on, but they are so comfortable I've never felt the need to remove them. Longest I've had them on at one time was for a 19 hour shift of non-stop work, plus the time I was in them going to and coming from work that day. Just did 17.5 hours in them the other day and my feet felt great at the end of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Tigger

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm using the Thorogood boots as an example of the style. I too am not a big fan, I have a pair now and they look like crap.

I'm looking at slip-ons mostly because of being in a bedroom at night, once less thing to deal with on the midnight call. Zippers might be fine too, but I'm curious if anyone uses the slip-ons. Lots of FFs use them as station boots out here.

Last edited by a moderator:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I'm using the Thorogood boots as an example of the style. I too am not a big fan, I have a pair now and they look like crap.

I'm looking at slip-ons mostly because of being in a bedroom at night, once less thing to deal with on the midnight call. Zippers might be fine too, but I'm curious if anyone uses the slip-ons. Lots of FFs use them as station boots out here.

People love them. I vote yes as a matter of slip on boots. Personally, I prefer red wings with zippers.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I have Redback slip ons. I like em.

I had never heard of Redbacks until I started doing some reading of different boot reviews and everything I've read looks pretty good. I decided to give them a try. I am rather impatiently waiting for a pair of Blue Tongue by Redback side zips to show up at my door.

As for the OP, I have always used side zips and have worked 24/48's for the last 7 years. I prefer them because I can always use the laces to adjust how snug they fit and they are quick and easy to get on and off. My last pair was from Magnum, and they were ok, but not anything that I just loved.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
I have Redback slip ons. I like em.

I've had my redbacks for over a yr and a half at a high speed 100,000 911 call volume service. They are amazing! I had my all American front zipper boots for the same time and the leather scuffed and the boots were horrible. These red backs don't even look worn down one bit. Fyi, they are Australian and you need to get one size smaller for them

OP
OP
Tigger

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Sweet, I think I am gonna try and hunt down a pair of Redbacks for a semi-reasonable price.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Mine are over 3 years old and still look decent.

evu4ehy8.jpg

The only caveat is the distinct lack of true ankle support that you get from lace up/zip ups. These were daily wear at the fire station, but now I wear mine only on night shifts.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
The ankle support is why I don't have them. I tend to twist my ankles easily. I need my boots on and zipped every time.

Metro EMS News

Forum Crew Member
I love my leather slip-on boots (similar to RedBacks), as they go on quick, breathe better than lace up boots and are very comfortable.
I would caution that there is little-to-no ankle support, It is easy to roll your ankle. Better to avoid that if a majority of your calls are 911. For slower paced IFT's with less risk to injuring your feet, they are hard to beat.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
The ankle support is why I don't have them. I tend to twist my ankles easily. I need my boots on and zipped every time.

Agreed.

I've had to hike in to patients before or down embankments for MVAs. Slip-ons are comfy but I need te ankle support as well. Shoulda listened to mom when she told me football was a bad idea! All I have to show for it is a bad neck and ankles!

HeadRusch

Forum Ride Along
Boot advice coming from someone in the military after countless patrols and humps back in the rear:

Sidezip boots are nice and preferred by medical staff in patrols because they come off easier than cutting off a boot. Although when the zippers start to get wet, they will stick and become very difficult to get on and off. May take getting wet a few dozen times, but after that they can become very very difficult.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Boot advice coming from someone in the military after countless patrols and humps back in the rear:

Sidezip boots are nice and preferred by medical staff in patrols because they come off easier than cutting off a boot. Although when the zippers start to get wet, they will stick and become very difficult to get on and off. May take getting wet a few dozen times, but after that they can become very very difficult.

What nationality/branch? In the US Army zippered boots are expressly forbidden. Now that I'm an EMT I have a pair of Worx from Red Wings with side zippers and I absolutely love them, wear 'em all the time now lol

HeadRusch

Forum Ride Along
Marines. We normally weren't allowed to wear them either, but as I was way out in the boonies in my deployments, I could get away with personal boots instead of issued boots. I had 5.11 zippered boots and Converse tactical boots. Both had the same issue.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok yeah I know a few guys who had those zippers you lace into the boot, you just have to remember to take those out before returning to the larger FOBs!

palmer1121

Forum Crew Member
I have the Rocky slip ons. Been wearing them every day at work for almost a year and I work 20-25 shifts a month. They have held up very well, comfortable and still look good with a monthly or every other month polish job.