Should someone with a juvenile record be able to become an EMT?

Should someone with a juvenile criminal background be able to become an EMT?

• Yes

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 36 70.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters

KCS911

Forum Crew Member
Are you from here? No. Were you there when it happened? Do you know the whole situation? No. I suggest you be a lil bit nicer and quit acting like you know all. I had a parent with me.I was asked if I wanted an attorney.I said no. Obviously you have never been to court.This is the darn internet.I have no reason to lie.I'm asking for real advice because I care.I would love to have a misdemeanor but No,I was handed a felony.Call it what you want,the paperwork says felony.I'm not going to argue.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
If you were Canadian and convicted of a criminal offence as an adult then I would advise getting a pardon from the national parole board. Since you are from the USA I don't know if they have something similar. If they do then apply for it when you become eligible. I hope you find a solution to your problem.

KCS911

Forum Crew Member
Thanks.I kinda wish I was canadian. I did get good hope come in today. The instructor that I'm friends with talked to the state and I should possibly be certified by next year.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you from here? No. Were you there when it happened? Do you know the whole situation? No. I suggest you be a lil bit nicer and quit acting like you know all. I had a parent with me.I was asked if I wanted an attorney.I said no. Obviously you have never been to court.This is the darn internet.I have no reason to lie.I'm asking for real advice because I care.I would love to have a misdemeanor but No,I was handed a felony.Call it what you want,the paperwork says felony.I'm not going to argue.

No I am not from there.
No I wasnt there which is why we are asking questions because your story is full of holes.
No I do not know whole situation as you only divulge what you want us to know.

Not acting like a know it all...I asked legitimate questions because your story is lacking...it always is. Do you think you are the first person to come here over the years with this?

Sad situation that you and your parent rejected a lawyer....never ever go to court without one, that is common sense.

Yes, I have been to court. Yes, I have been in trouble legally. No, it is not the end of the world.

But your whole story still reeks, because POSSESSION of a stolen iPod getting a felony is crazy. Cause you did not even commit the theft, you are charged with possession. That is just amazing.

KCS911

Forum Crew Member
Believe what you would like.I'm not looking for pity.I was not charged with possession.I plead guilty to stealing the damn thing and breaking into a locker to get it.I never once told them that my friend stole it.I took the full heat.Tell me where I am lacking in this story and I'll fill it in. I thought I made the story pretty clear.I do not have to to give you the whole story detail by detail.Nobody cares enough to read it and I don't care enough to write that long of a paper. Going to court without a lawyer is common sense to some people.I obviously lack that sense when I was younger.Figured it was a small thing...no need to pay a lawyer for what I could handle.Almost all the other kids that I sat next to in the hall waiting for the judge that day didn't have a lawyer.1 or 2 out of the 10 kids did.I knew that most of the kids were in for matters that were worse than mine but I did not see a lawyer with them so I took it as another hint that i didn't need a lawyer.Yeah it was dumb. To make matters worse... I never got a simple thanks from her and she moved away a couple months later. Kind of a slap in the face.Pissed me off but Karma will get her.Not upset over that anymore.I'm the only person to blame.

Last edited by a moderator:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Believe what you would like.I'm not looking for pity.I was not charged with possession.I plead guilty to stealing the damn thing and breaking into a locker to get it.I never once told them that my friend stole it.I took the full heat.Tell me where I am lacking in this story and I'll fill it in. I thought I made the story pretty clear.I do not have to to give you the whole story detail by detail.Nobody cares enough to read it and I don't care enough to write that long of a paper. Going to court without a lawyer is common sense to some people.I obviously lack that sense when I was younger.Figured it was a small thing...no need to pay a lawyer for what I could handle.Almost all the other kids that I sat next to in the hall waiting for the judge that day didn't have a lawyer.1 or 2 out of the 10 kids did.I knew that most of the kids were in for matters that were worse than mine but I did not see a lawyer with them so I took it as another hint that i didn't need a lawyer.Yeah it was dumb. To make matters worse... I never got a simple thanks from her and she moved away a couple months later. Kind of a slap in the face.Pissed me off but Karma will get her.Not upset over that anymore.I'm the only person to blame.

Ahhh, more details emerge. When you started, this was possession of a stolen item. Now it is full admission that a locker was broken into and the theft was committed by you.

See, the truth eventually shines, it is after all the internet and for everyone one person "who has no reason to lie" there are a dozen more who have every reason to lie.

No need to pay a lawyer for what you could handle?? Evidently, you did not handle it very well...might of been worth the expense, plus they are free when you can not afford them.

A Pre trial diversion program would have been perfect in your isolated case, but you missed that boat as well for not consulting the expert. And you waited until the day of your trial to see what the other cool kids did or didn't have?? I think I would of made plans prior to court day....

Anyways...as I said, it is not the end of the world. Life will go on and you will have a job in EMS. There are far more worse felons than you working in EMS....

Last edited by a moderator:

KCS911

Forum Crew Member
I did not commit the theft but did admit to doing it.It was in my possession at the time security had heard that I had it from other kids that have seen me with it. Didn't hide the fact that I had it because I didn't know it was stolen.Thanks "friend" for telling me I could borrow it for a week and for not telling me it was stolen.It was an ipod touch. The judge did say that a lawyer could be appointed to me for free if I could not afford one but I ignorantly still said no. There was 2 other pretrails or whatever they are called before I was told my punishment,fines,met my PO, and whatever.At every pretrail I was asked if I wanted a lawyer.I wish i could go back but I have to make due with what happened.

"There are far more worse felons than you working in EMS...." Don't know if thats suppose to make me feel bad or good.lol I'm glad we worked this misunderstanding out.I was honestly starting to get mad. :)

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Do you think a judge would allow a MINOR to appear in court with no lawyer?? There are probably laws against that as well.

Err... In Michigan, the answer to your question is a qualified yes. Minors have the right to counsel if charged with delinquency - that is, conduct which, if committed by an adult, would constitute a crime. It's a pretty famous SCOTUS case called In re Gault. However, Gault left open the question of whether juveniles can waive that right like adult defendants can. States have split on the answer. Michigan apparently allows it, but only after a review determining that under the totality of the circumstances, the juvenile understands what he or she is doing.

However, all this may be moot. Michigan defines "juvenile" as "under the age of 17". Juvenile delinquency cases are handled in family court. If you were 17 when you committed the offense, then what you have is an adult criminal conviction, which is a more serious matter.

So, you need to be clear on your terms. Were you adjudicated a delinquent in family court, and/or diverted under a juvenile program where adjudication was withheld? Or were you diverted under an adult program? Or were you convicted of an adult offense?

This forum isn't really the appropriate place for at-length legal discussion. My sage advice is the same as it usually is - consult an attorney licensed in Michigan (which seems to be your home state, or the state where this occurred. If I'm reading things wrong, then consult an attorney in the state where the offense/conviction/adjudication/diversion/whatever happened.).

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Sorry for the double tap here, but this might be an easy way to get the answer... were you fingerprinted when you were arrested?

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Let's get this thread back on subject please. This is not about one member's particular case.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I have a juvenile record, and one misdemeanor on my adult record, and I am a NREMT-B and scheduled to take the NREMT-I/85 exam in December....It all depends on the charge, sure some companies might not hire me, but others will...I hope :lol:

KCS911

Forum Crew Member
I was fingerprinted by the county police.I was told by the judge that I could have been arrested for a short period of time or sent to a foster home.Neither happened.I was 17 when it happened. Haha True Chimpie. Off my topic.Its not all about me.

Does anyone know a Good Paramedic or EMT that has gone through hell and back due a criminal record? If so post about it. :)

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
I think people with *adult* records should be able to become EMTs and that it would be silly to prevent someone for being a healthcare provider for mistakes they made when a youngster. Of course, there are exceptions so this should be looked at a case-by-case basis - which is what happens now, no?

No need to pay a lawyer for what you could handle?? Evidently, you did not handle it very well...might of been worth the expense, plus they are free when you can not afford them.

A Pre trial diversion program would have been perfect in your isolated case, but you missed that boat as well for not consulting the expert. And you waited until the day of your trial to see what the other cool kids did or didn't have?? I think I would of made plans prior to court day....

God, you are so smart! It's really cool how you are pointing out the mistakes this guy made as a minor. I'm sure he's never thought about how he was mistaken to not get a lawyer; good thing you are here to show him how dumb he was!

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I think people with *adult* records should be able to become EMTs and that it would be silly to prevent someone for being a healthcare provider for mistakes they made when a youngster. Of course, there are exceptions so this should be looked at a case-by-case basis - which is what happens now, no?

God, you are so smart! It's really cool how you are pointing out the mistakes this guy made as a minor. I'm sure he's never thought about how he was mistaken to not get a lawyer; good thing you are here to show him how dumb he was!

I just checked the OP's EMTLife profile and there are pics of the OP and the OP does not look like any guy I've seen cuz she's a lady.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Let's get this thread back on subject please. This is not about one member's particular case.

Okay. I'll take a crack at it.

If it's a juvenile conviction, no, it shouldn't have any bearing on someone's ability to become an EMT. Juvenile adjudications don't count as a criminal record for a reason - because as a child, you are believed to be less culpable for your mistakes. So, if you happen to do something wrong before you're 16-18 (depending on the state), then you get a do-over when you turn 18.

Now, people have mentioned severe crimes, such as murder or rape. In most (I'd venture to say all) states, a system exists to send such offenses to the criminal courts and for the juveniles to be tried as adults. In that case, the same rules that apply to adult convictions apply. But if it's a juvenile offense, then I think you get a pass. That's the purpose of the juvenile justice system.