• Yes

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • No

Votes: 95 64.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
PS, where can I get one of those jump bags? I got a cozy spot on the back of my bike for it :p It's a Trek... 21 speed... B)

medic417

The Truth Provider
Ah geez Linuss and JPINFV!

Now someone is going to ask where to get those bags to add to their personal jump bag collection.

Hey vent will you buy me one? :p

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
In general, I'd say no. Treating a patient requires getting very close and using both hands, which means that a patient could easily grab the gun. Besides, a lot of firearms training programs are best case scenarios, and I wouldn't trust them to turn out people who can actually hit their target in a high-pressure situation. However, I'm a fan of letting different areas set policies as they see fit. Meanwhile, letting wilderness and tactical medics carry makes sense to me.

I also think that everyone should at least know how to unload a gun, but that's not especially relevant to EMS. (And yeah, I know, there's no such thing as an unloaded gun... but I can think of some stories that could've been prevented if people had a clue.)

medic417

The Truth Provider
So back to topic should EMS be armed? Yes, and legged also. Hard to do the job w/o either.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
So back to topic should EMS be armed?

What part of zombie attacks did you not think was relevant to this thread?

It also provided useful information for securing a new personal jump bag.
Don't worry. I've got you on my Christmas list.

JPINFV

Gadfly
That tank won't last an hour when using a NRB and I doubt it'll last a day at any decent flow rate with anything except maybe the oximyzer.

Afflixion

Forum Captain

I own that bag as well as a Blackhawk! Special OPs aidbag... what's wrong with that? I carry it daily (well for the last 12 months at least)... It's a great aidbag but problem is when fully stocked it weighs about 30-40pounds. :/

Back to the subject matter... I am kind of half and half between this. I can see both sides of the point. On one side I see the whole "unass yourself" and get to cover, but you must keep in mind that is not always an option... On the other hand I agree with AJs thinking that if you have the training to carry/operate a firearm you should be able too. As for the matter of it being concealed how I carry my XD40 is on a belt holster in the small of my back I could draw that relatively fast, at least fast enough to disable the target. People keep thinking that when one has a weapon aimed at them the other will fire immediately if any sudden movements are made which the exact opposite is true for 95% of the general population, most people will hesitate.

Just keep in mind most LEOs never fire their weapons at people their entire careers.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
People keep thinking that when one has a weapon aimed at them the other will fire immediately if any sudden movements are made which the exact opposite is true for 95% of the general population, most people will hesitate.

You haven't worked many city areas where little 14 y/os will shoot at a second's notice. We see at least two shootings a shift with many of the victims being under 19. They don't know they are supposed to hesitate. I would rather not shoot a crazed kid if I can avoid it.

I also suppose you have not be in a riot situation where people are just crazed by the masses.

I carry my XD40 is on a belt holster in the small of my back I could draw that relatively fast, at least fast enough to disable the target.
SCENE SAFETY. You are not in Iraq if you are working in the streets of the U.S. Don't try to out shoot someone where others could get caught in the cross fire.

Just keep in mind most LEOs never fire their weapons at people their entire careers.

They train and retrain for situations involving their guns and how to diffuse various situations.

When they do fire their weapons they face serious scrutiny. They also don't become LEOs just to shoot people. Their gun just happens to be part of the job. Why should those in EMS become so willing to do what most LEOs hope they don't have to do? Maybe those in EMS don't have the same education about guns that LEOs do? Maybe some in EMS are just caught up with all that shoot 'em up stuff on TV and the uniform? Maybe they feel they can not get any respect just as an EMT? Maybe a gun will make up for their other deficiencies?

You might want to follow the news about what the 27 y/o BART LEO (Bay Area, SF) is now going through when he "accidentally" fired his weapon and killed a trouble maker. Regardless of how the court determines the innocence or guilt of this young man, his life is over. As well, his family (wife and child) will also continue to live in fear and have this scandal following them for a very long time. As well, much of that will also be in hiding. This one death has cost innocent people thousands of dollars from the rioting and millions for the local cities.

Think very carefully about carrying that weapon and shooting someone. Is it really worth the lives of your family? Could you not learn to cover yourself by being trained better with scene safety? Do you really feel the need to get confrontational with someone to see who can outdraw the other?

Some in EMS can barely cover the training required of them to get a job as an EMT. Then, some can not keep up with the few skills they are given to do. Now you expect them to keep their shooting abilities current also?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Don't worry. I've got you on my Christmas list.

But on which list? The naughty or nice list?

I own that bag as well as a Blackhawk! Special OPs aidbag... what's wrong with that? I carry it daily (well for the last 12 months at least)... It's a great aidbag but problem is when fully stocked it weighs about 30-40pounds. :/

Are you a medical professional that works remote duty? If so, you carry that bag proudly. If not... Why are you carrying it?

Afflixion

Forum Captain
As such I did not even vote in the poll. I believe that the first priority of an EMT/P should be their own safety followed by their partners. Now I'm not saying a firearm is the answer to said problem's as me personally in reference to where I worked on an ambulance (El Paso, TX and Tucson, AZ) I would not have considered carrying a firearm as those are rather peaceful towns if you will, but not every place is created equal. I have worked in suburban, urban and rural areas and all have different necessities. I do not believe shooting everyone is the answer but in some VERY limited situations it is called for. I agree giving EMT Johnny a firearm will deteriorate from his need for initial scene safety BUT those who are qualified to use firearms maybe could be allowed. By qualified I mean personnel who are prior LEO, military, EMT-T certified, etc not your average schmuck who comes in off the street with nothing but a C2C license. As numerous people have stated this question is not quite so clean cut as some people are trying to make it out to be.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Folks, Brother Afflixion is in Iraq.

I am enjoying the people making fun of arming stateside EMT's. What are you going to do, have your partner"keep him covered" while you take care of the pt.?

I do not mean to point at individuals, but people who feel more secure with a firearm outside a war zone (not a pretend war zone, a real one) make me very uneasy. Sorry, that's how I've come to feel through experience and training. I still think that the word most often uttered after a ginshot stateside is "...damn!!" :)o)

Afflixion

Forum Captain
Are you a medical professional that works remote duty? If so, you carry that bag proudly. If not... Why are you carrying it?

ah shucks you found me out! lol I actually read through what that guy has in there half it seemed like he broke into our class IX supply (medical supply) and stole it the other half is ridiculously unneeded. I'm still wondering how he got a mutli-dose morphine... Someone lost their job over that.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I still think that the word most often uttered after a gunshot stateside is "...damn!!" :)o)

It seems that word is also said a few times in Iraq when some civilians (and U.S. soldiers) become the victims of U.S. fire.

I don't know of many soldiers we are now seeing in the hospitals that want to have much to do with weapons again. Those that are employed in health care want to carry a stethoscope and not a gun. They have fought for peace and would rather not bring the violence home with them. Some do go into law enforcement but with the hopes of never using their weapon unless absolutely necessary. For that they are very thoroughly trained.

Afflixion

Forum Captain
I am enjoying the people making fun of arming stateside EMT's. What are you going to do, have your partner"keep him covered" while you take care of the pt.?

I do not mean to point at individuals, but people who feel more secure with a firearm outside a war zone (not a pretend war zone, a real one) make me very uneasy. Sorry, that's how I've come to feel through experience and training. I still think that the word most often uttered after a ginshot stateside is "...damn!!" :)o)

It's not that I feel more secure as I do not carry my XD40 with me every time I go out. Though on a funny side note when I was on midtour leave I had to stop and look for my M4 whenever I left somewhere for about 3 days not physically but I'd look around the room for a second before I called myself a retard and carried on. Back to the main point of the matter... I carry my firearm on me when I'm traveling by car a considerable distance, in a place that's known to be not so friendly and etc.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Aff, you're a trained professional.

I've only "carried" for a couple weeks at a time in exercises but, yeah, check your gigline and make sure you have your sidearm and chem gear, all reflex.

Coroner's deputies and CSI pesonnel often carry and have CWP's so they can get out of scenes where the bystanders and possibly the perps can get assaultive, not to arrest people as on TV. Work stops, go bye bye NOW.:sad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Afflixion

Forum Captain
It seems that word is also said a few times in Iraq when some civilians (and U.S. soldiers) become the victims of U.S. fire.

I don't know of many soldiers we are now seeing in the hospitals that want to have much to do with weapons again. Those that are employed in health care want to carry a stethoscope and not a gun. They have fought for peace and would rather not bring the violence home with them. Some do go into law enforcement but with the hopes of never using their weapon unless absolutely necessary. For that they are very thoroughly trained.

Eh, gunshots don't bug me I acknowledge they're there but that's about it... but loud noises such as people slamming doors and stuff... oh and fireworks...I hit the deck.