• Yes

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • No

Votes: 95 64.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Although there is another thread about ems carry firearms the thread has no poll. So I will be creating one with a poll.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
God I hope we are armed... kinda hard to do CPR without em!

Joking aside, yes.

OP
OP
fortsmithman

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Maybe the reason I feell as I do is because I'm from Canada where our firearms laws are totally different from that of the USA.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I voted no, because primarily PD is close enough so you can get out safely. BUT, I do think that rural EMS should be armed and have to go through special training for firearms handeling first off, then have to log a few hours on the range each month to keep up.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Unless you are on a Tactical Medical Team, NOT IN A MILLION YEARS!

We already have enough idiots and yahoos who are in it for the low educational requirements, flashy lights, sirens, and cool uniforms. Now we can attract more cause we can carry?

Not to mention our job is PATIENT CARE! Or have people forgotten that LEOs are for protection.

We will never advance our profession.......:glare:

OP
OP
fortsmithman

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I voted no, because primarily PD is close enough so you can get out safely. BUT, I do think that rural EMS should be armed and have to go through special training for firearms handeling first off, then have to log a few hours on the range each month to keep up.

I'm rural and a few times I wished we had a rifle because we in bear country as well we have had sightings of cougars (the one on 4 legs). But for the most part I don't feel the need for a firearm and we pretty just have in town calls.

Last edited by a moderator:

aandjmayne

Forum Crew Member
I dont think that we should necessarily be armed, but I do think that in some areas bullet proof vests should at least be offered. Ive heard stories of emts getting hurt because they were trying to help someone that the shooter wanted dead

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Sometimes.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
As Veneficus alludes, this is a very poor poll. What is it asking? Is it asking if we should be armed as a matter of policy? Or is it asking if we should be allowed that option individually? Too many variables to give a black-and-white answer without specifics. And what exactly does "armed" mean anyhow?

OP
OP
fortsmithman

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
What I want to know is peoples initial attitudes towards armed EMS. Not policy but peoples gut reaction to the question. With my service if someone asked to carry a concealed firearm they woud be told no. Heck we are not allowed to use handcuffs to restrain a pt our protocols prohibit handcuffs. Besides that it's darn near impossible to get a permit to carry a pistol concealed here in Canada. The only non LEO job that can get a carry permit (not concealed) are armoured car guards.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Thinking men don't have gut reactions to broad, nebulous semantic theories. They have gut reactions to specific ideas. Despite the poll, I don't really see any difference between this thread and the previous one. It's a biased poll. It's like asking if people are pro-life or pro-death. It doesn't give enough information to offer any discussional validity.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Voted no. I am definitely in favor of gun rights and the right to carry, but I definitely wouldn't want to shoot someone protecting myself then have to go tend to their gsw's. :wacko:

Around here if there is a call that seems dangerous PSP gets dispatched and goes in first to secure the scene while the ambulances stage away from the scene until given the order to move in.

Maybe pepperspray and bullet proof vests would be a good compromise in "dangerous calls."

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I'd wear body armour if issued.

See, you said "if issued".

If a gun was issued, you'd be carrying that as well.

Do you wear a vest now? I guarantee no EMS agency will bar you from wearing it on the inside of your shirt.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Poll is kind of narrow. I don't think that we should be "armed". Rather, I think EMS should not be prohibited from conceled carry.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Maybe the reason I feell as I do is because I'm from Canada where our firearms laws are totally different from that of the USA.

I even heard rumors Canada was a totally different country. :sad:

Where is that rimshot thing?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I'd wear body armour if issued.

I always need protection for other bodies.

Rimshot.

At least you didn't say bullet proof. Than someone would correct you and say bullet resistant.

OP
OP
fortsmithman

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I always need protection for other bodies.

Rimshot.

At least you didn't say bullet proof. Than someone would correct you and say bullet resistant.
No suck thing as a bullet proof vest if I were to wear a vest it would have to be lvl 3 or 4. Not lvl 2 which is worn by a majority of peace officers. I would wear that lvl because in my neck of the woods while we don't have many pistols we have more rifle and shotguns here. The calibres we are dealing with here are anywhere from a .270 to .300 win magnum.

firecoins

IFT Puppet