Shock questions

Other emergency professions such as police officer and firefighters are perfectly fine being vocational because the tasks they perform can not truly be taught in a classroom. It needs to be learned by experience. Medicine is a science and needs to be learned in a classroom and furthered with experience. We do it the complete opposite.

Beleive me, while it is easy to simply answer the question as it was posed here, the reason I didn't is because I already see that as this person has more unrelated facts heaped onto his shoulders to memorize, they will all get confused and there will be some very bad testing experiences in the future.

While the "quick way now" seems like a reasonable solution to this chapter, wrote memorization at any level of medicine will not overcome base knowledge deficit.

Taking extra time to learn things right will not only help pass tests in the future, it will make for better patient care.

Anyone who has been to school for any length of time can tell you sometimes you have to take responsibility for yourself to overcome a poor instructor. (Not just in EMS schools)

I offered the best long term solution.

I picked that specific book for this thread because of the way it is written. It assumes you know nothing about chemistry or biology, and explains it to you step by step in an easy to understand, easy to read way. (with pictures)

This will not be helpful for the OP but here are a few diagrams out of my textbook that I found helpful understanding the processes behind the various types of shock.

2D4C494C-1C52-466E-97FE-4EB79B259F23-138-00000005287664C0.jpg

D6555720-685C-47A6-A4EB-DEE3AA966EDB-138-0000000528C7BAF4.jpg

EC491B58-8382-4F4F-8E3E-2524761E5B2F-138-0000000529593A73.jpg

0A13C786-8D67-402E-8CD5-C4913C60E64A-138-0000000526B2BEA4.jpg

30FFC0CA-CCC2-4CCC-B5A1-3AA83A91B515-138-0000000528013408.jpg

Courtesy of Pathophysology: The Biologic Basis for Disease in Adults and Children by McCance

Somebody has to pay me to write a textbook or chapter on shock...

Beleive me, while it is easy to simply answer the question as it was posed here, the reason I didn't is because I already see that as this person has more unrelated facts heaped onto his shoulders to memorize, they will all get confused and there will be some very bad testing experiences in the future.

While the "quick way now" seems like a reasonable solution to this chapter, wrote memorization at any level of medicine will not overcome base knowledge deficit.

Taking extra time to learn things right will not only help pass tests in the future, it will make for better patient care.

Anyone who has been to school for any length of time can tell you sometimes you have to take responsibility for yourself to overcome a poor instructor. (Not just in EMS schools)

I offered the best long term solution.

I picked that specific book for this thread because of the way it is written. It assumes you know nothing about chemistry or biology, and explains it to you step by step in an easy to understand, easy to read way. (with pictures)

That book was one of the "required" readings for my classes. I looked at it just now. I agree its pretty good in explaining this. I realize I gave out a lot of information, but the complexity of it all is just very great. Thats why I agree, a book would be very beneficial to anyone. Especially if they plan to go further.

This will not be helpful for the OP but here are a few diagrams out of my textbook that I found helpful understanding the processes behind the various types of shock.

You... found that helpful?

Im surprised this is something covered in EMT school. Its not like youre going to be giving IV fluids. Of course it probably doesnt hurt to know this stuff as it might help you decide when ALS should get involved.

My EMT class didnt cover any of this stuff. It wasnt until I took an A&P class at a community college that I was forced to think about things I learned years ago in high school chemistry.

What I am studying for is EMT IV. In TN, we have a First Responder, EMT Basic, EMT IV tech., and an EMT Paramedic. I will(hopefully!) be one step under a medic, so therefore my protocols will allow me to give ten drugs(11 including oxygen) without calling for orders. Those include: Aspirin, Nitro, benadryl, D50, Activated Charcoal, Albuterol, Xopenex, Epi 1:1000, Oral Glucose and NS(oxygen too). So therefore thats why I am needing to understand fluid balances. I know I am killing you all but man this is tough for me.

Let me say this. I could tell you how all this works because I "memorized" the explanation. What is getting me is I am not completely understanding the concept. I don't know about you all but I want to fully understand everything one step above what I need to know. I like to be comfortable giving fluids, or D50 or whatever. I guess you could say I am trying to overachieve when I shouldn't be. I just want to get the whole picture and make sure I am giving my patient the best possible care I can give. I don't know your alls protocols on what you can administer but it sounds like you all are either medics or the emt 99 or whatever they are.

I have looked at that book and have decided to try and get it. I hopefully understand what i need to at this point in time. Im not where I really want to be but Im hoping I can build on it as time goes by. I know you all are about ready to hunt me down and choke me but I am learning(slowly but surely). I definetly understanmd it more than I did. But please be patient with me. Thanks for everybody who has explained all this. Keep writing. I like reading about the different ways of how everybody explains things. Ill get to be as smart as you all maybe one day.

Another thing, what kinds of medications are you all able to give and what techniques are you able to perform according to your protocols? I assuming you all are medics so you can intubate, start IVs, decompressions..... but on my level of care, I want to compare the differences.

Why is it "10 (11 including oxygen)?" Oxygen is just as much of a medication as all the others listed.

Why is it "10 (11 including oxygen)?" Oxygen is just as much of a medication as all the others listed.

I knew oxygen was a medication but I was talking about actual "pills or solutions" you give.

Another thing, what kinds of medications are you all able to give and what techniques are you able to perform according to your protocols? I assuming you all are medics so you can intubate, start IVs, decompressions..... but on my level of care, I want to compare the differences.

so there are varying levels of care providers here. From people with barely any protocols (like me and I may even let my EMT lapse), to people who could make the protocols. It just goes to show the value of knowledge through proper education methods.

I'm a Basic in Massachusetts. Including the optional protocols available at my company, we give aspirin, nebulized albuterol, epi autoinjectors, nasal naloxone, and oral glucose on standing orders; we assist with nitro and rescue inhalers; and we give activated charcoal with med control.

I'm a Basic in Massachusetts. Including the optional protocols available at my company, we give aspirin, nebulized albuterol, epi autoinjectors, nasal naloxone, and oral glucose on standing orders; we assist with nitro and rescue inhalers; and we give activated charcoal with med control.

I would like nebs where I work, sadly I don't think this will happen anytime soon. We are getting nasal naloxone though.

Well, todays the test. Hopefully I have studied this forum enough to pass it with flying colors. Im pretty sure fluid maintenance will not b e a problem. I will let you all know how I do.

Well, todays the test. Hopefully I have studied this forum enough to pass it with flying colors. Im pretty sure fluid maintenance will not b e a problem. I will let you all know how I do.

You should be studying your book, not what a bunch of strangers on a forum say. Your test will be based on your book.

You should be studying your book, not what a bunch of strangers on a forum say. Your test will be based on your book.

True story. I always get tricked by dumb questions that were taken word for word out of the text. The right anwser is not always the right anwser when it comes to tests.

Try taking a nursing exam, you wouldn't believe some of the BS they consider "The most correct awnser"

True story. I always get tricked by dumb questions that were taken word for word out of the text. The right anwser is not always the right anwser when it comes to tests.

Try taking a nursing exam, you wouldn't believe some of the BS they consider "The most correct answer"
The questions are written so differently than anything I've ever seen before, but once you figure out what they're asking for, then you simply have to figure out which one is the most right... which can be a pain. The ones I really dislike are the "choose all that apply" and of course, those are the ones that are all "most correct." The others are almost correct... :cool:

Back