sexual predator on staff

JPINFV

Gadfly
Just because NREMT doesn't require a background check doesn't mean that the state can't require it for local certification. For example, most (maybe all now due to issues a few years ago) require a background check before issueing local certification, which is required to practice in the state.

ki4mus

Forum Crew Member
How can states get away with letting convected Fellons, much less sex offenders become providers? I had to have a background check prior to taking my EMT-B test, prior to joining my agencies (I'm on 3) and then another prior to starting Medic school.

In VA no convicted fellon (regaurdless what it was) is allowed to be associated with a rescue Squad (Per Mike Berg [I think thats his last name] Office of EMS in a meeting) even if they are not medical providers, Drivers, non-medical FireFighters (in combined stations), members of the board of directors, jonior and associte members, even the guy that empyies the trash and cleans the windows.If they are associated they have to have a background check done and can not have been a convected fellon of any type.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
this is the reason that Utah doesn't want to start honoring National Registry: there is no criminal screens on the National side.
Utah does full state and national criminal screen by name, DOB and SS# and fingerprints
I look at the National Registry card as really nothing more than a course completion certificate. If a particular State wants to honor it and use it as their "license", that state should do a background check and issue a card that indicates that a background has been completed. That card is then to be carried with the NR card to "activate" it as a "license" for that state. This way the card is portable, you just have to do a new background when you go to a new state and meet their requirements for what they consider a good background.

The NR is not set up to take care of background investigations. Each state has their own requirements (or lack thereof) for what's considered a DQ event. That would mean that the NR would then have to do a background that encompasses everything and keep track of each applicant/registrant's status for 50+ States, Territories, Possessions, and Districts in the United States...

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
this is the reason that Utah doesn't want to start honoring National Registry: there is no criminal screens on the National side.
Utah does full state and national criminal screen by name, DOB and SS# and fingerprints

Utah doesn't honor National Registry because they insist on making everyone jump through their hoops and test on 20 year old protocols. It is good that they do the Background checks.

In the states that do not do any background checks, then it is up to the individual EMS agency / Employer to do their own.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Imagine doing international background checks?

That would probably make immigrants ineligible as a group.

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
I got my EMT-B cert in California in 2000. I was required to do a criminal background check for both my EMT-B cert and my class B license. At least I THINK it was a Class B. That was quite a while ago. In Alberta, I have had to undergo numerous background checks for various jobs I have had. I even had to get one done to include sex offender and child safety checks before I could apply to Paramedic school.

ex-criminal

Forum Ride Along
up front I am going to say that I am sure that I have already broken a rule by making this profile.

however based on the responses in this thread concerning people with criminal histories, i am hoping that the mods will only delete this profile without deleting this post... and not out me in this forum.

Hopefully all of you who have never made a "bad decision" in your life can read on with an open mind and hear me out.

No i'm not a sexual predator. What have i done? I have two felony arrests. which resulted in deferred adjudication probation and 9 months in a lock down drug rehab facility.

I am not justifying anything that I did, but i am posting because those of you who have never gotten in trouble do not understand what a horrible stigma it brings to your life and how hard it is to live on the "straightened narrow" path when no one will give you a chance.

If you haven't lived through a similar circumstance you have probably never started working at a job (AFTER FULLY DISCLOSING ALL OF MY HISTORY on my application AND in my interview) only to be fired 3 days later because HR deemed you "unhireable..." without disclosing a reason for this label.

You haven't been promised jobs based on your merits only to have the manager change their decision after you handed them a packet containing your fingerprints and state department of public safety personal criminal history report.

What were my crimes. about 2 weeks before my 18th birthday, i was home from college and took some acid... ran into some kids i barely knew and burglarized a home with them.

I stole a computer and a printer from the house and the next morning, after coming down from my acid trip, realized what I had done and took the computer back to the home where it was taken and returned it. 3 months later when the police called my grandparents house, i went to the station and spoke with the detective. The day after that I turned myself in at the sheriff's office.

I was charged with burglary of a habitation and plead guilty to a reduced charge of state jail theft >$1,500 and <$20,000 (a "fourth" degree felony).
I received a 3 year deferred adjudication probation and was ordered to pay $500 dollars restitution to the victim of my crime and 300 hours of community service.

6 months later, I was still doing drugs (acid and pot) and was arrested for possession of LSD. I was high at the time of the arrest and I don't really even know why the police pulled up and searched me. Nevertheless
I was charged with possession of a controlled substance <1 gram and sentenced to a concurrent 4 years deferred adjudication and court ordered inpatient drug treatment center.

During my time in drug rehab i learned about addiction and saw many examples of the results lifetimes of drug use. I also got a great deal of counseling and found out a great many things about myself.

During probation I completed my community service hours with habitat for humanity and an agency called "the adult literacy council," where I taught people with no english language experience how to speak and read English. I also worked with troubled youth tutoring them with reading, writing and math (these were kids who were kicked out of public schools, kicked out of alternative schools and home on house arrest / probation house arrest).

During the last year of my probation, I re-enrolled in college. After my probation ended, I started volunteering with the Sheriff's Office (the one where I turned myself in) on their volunteer crisis intervention team. I volunteered over 1000 hours as a lead volunteer (I would lead teams of 2-3 volunteers to respond to law enforcement requests for crime victims services at the scene of a crime). I had to get special permission to even start volunteering with this team because of my history.

They gave me a chance to prove that I had something to give back to our community.

I finished my undergrad. Then I went on to work at a non-profit agency serving victims of domestic violence.

I changed my career aspirations and have since had to deal with 2 state licensing agencies (one of them being the state EMS board).

To get licensed as an EMT I had to submit a "declaratory order" of my criminal history along with all court documentation, fingerprints and a narrative essay about my life and circumstances.

I am a dedicated patient advocate and provider. Nothing will ever be able to change my past.

Every agency I have ever worked or volunteered for has accepted me after I sat down in the interview and candidly exposed my criminal history to the chief / director. These agencies I am talking about are EMS third service, Fire departments and hospitals.

I've been turned away countless times.

Please remember that people can change their lives, but they cannot ever outlive their pasts. I have had to function, basically as a second class citizen, since I was 18. I had never gotten into trouble before that and have never gotten into trouble since. Yet, my history has followed me for the better part of 13 years.

Sincerely, I could get away without disclosing my criminal past because most background checks only look back at the last 10 years of records. If I were to disclose my name, I think you would be hard pressed to find a criminal history on me, unless you are a law enforcement agency, or court.

Please don't be so judgmental of people who have a criminal history. Is it fair to punish me for debts that I have paid off so long ago? Is it fair to say that I am unworthy as a critically thinking provider of medical care / patient advocate because of something that happened when I was too shortsighted to understand.

Do you really want to condemn me to a life of "flipping burgers" or "waiting tables" because I was a complete and total moron / loser quite a few years ago?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Yes people can change. However those that commit crimes that violate trust of some type be it sexual or with monetary items, they may have to realize that they won't get the career of their choice. They will have to adapt and that doesn't mean they can't be successful in another career.

The favorite EKG author for those in EMS can be used as an example. He is no longer practicing, at least not in the state of Florida, in the profession he spent probably 15 years training for. But, he is still considered a God amongst Paramedic students.

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I got my EMT-B cert in California in 2000. I was required to do a criminal background check for both my EMT-B cert and my class B license.

Which county in California?

Not all had the same requirements for licensure as my examples have pointed out. Some had walk-in certifications.

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
I don't think there's necessarily something wrong with a felon being an EMT, but would it even be possible for a convicted sex offender? Don't they have to stay away from children? They would have to join a company that only ever did nursing home transports just to stay within the terms of their release.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
They would have to join a company that only ever did nursing home transports just to stay within the terms of their release.

That may not even be possible since there are children warehoused in some adult nursing homes. Unfortunately, handicapped and sick children become easy prey for predators.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I don't think there's necessarily something wrong with a felon being an EMT, but would it even be possible for a convicted sex offender? Don't they have to stay away from children? They would have to join a company that only ever did nursing home transports just to stay within the terms of their release.

That depends largely upon state law. In New Jersey, for example, sex offenders, in addition to registration under Megan's Law, are placed on parole supervision for life, and their parole officer would determine whether they could have the job or not.

To reply to another, earlier post, I don't think that a felony record should disqualify you forever from becoming an EMT. Some states, including New York, IIRC, have laws protecting former offenders under these circumstances. This situation actually came up with barbers - you need a state license to be a barber, and the professional boards would deny the license automatically to former felons. Guess what useful skill prisons trained many inmates in? You got it - barbering and cosmetology.

Also, those with only a minor record - say, a single conviction, long ago - may be able to get the conviction expunged or sealed. That is also a matter of state law. Your mileage will vary.

I really has to be a case-by-case analysis by the licensing or certifying authority. Got arrested for lewdness for making a "pressed ham" on a car window? Caught with a joint? Probably shouldn't be disqualifying, regardless of the 'label' (lewdness in some places being a sex offense). Sexually assaulted children? Probably shouldn't be around people, like the sick and injured, unable to defend themselves. Someone with a history of drug crimes applying to be a paramedic, with access to controlled substances? Well, that's going to require a close look and perhaps some monitoring.

But even in those cases, it's possible that there would be variations one way or the other. It really is not a situation where you can draw a bright line rule.

But if you want EMS to be respected as a profession, there should be some sort of backround check involved. Doctors, nurses, school bus drivers, police, firemen, lawyers, accountants, and countless others go through it.

ex-criminal

Forum Ride Along
That depends largely upon state law. may be able to get the conviction expunged or sealed. That is also a matter of state law. Your mileage will vary.

I really has to be a case-by-case analysis by the licensing or certifying authority. Got arrested for lewdness for making a "pressed ham" on a car window? Caught with a joint? Probably shouldn't be disqualifying, regardless of the 'label' (lewdness in some places being a sex offense). Sexually assaulted children? Probably shouldn't be around people, like the sick and injured, unable to defend themselves. Someone with a history of drug crimes applying to be a paramedic, with access to controlled substances? Well, that's going to require a close look and perhaps some monitoring.

But even in those cases, it's possible that there would be variations one way or the other. It really is not a situation where you can draw a bright line rule.

But if you want EMS to be respected as a profession, there should be some sort of backround check involved. Doctors, nurses, school bus drivers, police, firemen, lawyers, accountants, and countless others go through it.

agreed. I have already been through several rings of fire.

granted it is my own fault that the hoops I had to jump through were flaming.

My drug charge has been sealed. My burglary cannot be because I was arrested again, while on that probation. (the drug charge)

I already hold a higher license than a paramedic, so I don't forsee my state EMS board having any problems granting me that license when I earn it.
Based on some of the earlier posts, I may not be able to practice in some states... (bummer because I planned on traveling for a while)

Vent, I understand your perspective, but i'm not going to let anyone's opinion hold me back. My state has seen fit to license me as well as seal part of my records, that is enough for me to forgive myself. Hopefully the rest of the world will come around too.

With all due respect. Thanks for letting me voice this opinion. I won't be making any other posts than replies to this thread, on this profile, as intimated by my original post.

I haven't read the particulars, but the mods may see fit to delete this handle.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Utah doesn't honor National Registry because they insist on making everyone jump through their hoops and test on 20 year old protocols. It is good that they do the Background checks.

In the states that do not do any background checks, then it is up to the individual EMS agency / Employer to do their own.

NREMT does not or has ever tested on protocols except in cardiac care. Ignorance is not always blessed, the only protocol driven portion of the NREMT written test is the current ACLS guidelines as per ECC/AHA.

Please, unless you have the facts don't post erroneous statements.

To the original post, if your school or state does not have a criminal check background then I would hope that an employer would. Our state requires such before clinicals can be performed and employment of instructors. Each case is examined by its merit and case; cases involving sexual crimes does not have a grace or allowable pardon.

R/r 911

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm so glad the education institutes that provide EMR/EMT-A/EMT-P courses/programs require an enhanced security clearance from the local/federal PDs. Can't even take the class unless your check comes back clean.

ki4mus

Forum Crew Member
I don't think there's necessarily something wrong with a felon being an EMT.

I know that people can change, but the secound that I have to guess about the the integrety of my partner or team is the secound I get off the truck. My life has been in the hands of my partner too many times for me to have anyone that I don't trust on the truck with me...

Achromatic

Forum Lieutenant
The families of the deceased should be able to rely on the remains of their loved ones being treated professionally and with courtesy and respect. Snohomish County learned this the hard way. Medics left a deceased in the driveway to go answer a cardiac call. They were sucessfully sued.

Funny, in Thurston County last night, we were talking about this case (although our instructor described it as being East Pierce, and said that they had actually /moved/ the deceased from a location near the house, down the driveway to near the recycling bin(!) by the mailbox at the end of the driveway)... just... wow.

Achromatic

Forum Lieutenant
That would probably make immigrants ineligible as a group.

Not really. I immigrated to the US two years ago (from Australia). Provided you are a legal immigrant, when you applied for your migrant visa, you were required to supply the results of a "national complete criminal background check based on ID and fingerprints" from the country you were living in, and any country you had lived in for more than 12 months.

Any crime of "moral turpitude" (essentially, any felony against a person, as well as gross damage/destruction of property) as well as the usual suspects (terrorism, laundering, war criminal), were grounds for not granting the visa.

I explained this to my FD. For brownie points, I also gave them a copy of my Australian Federal Police (FBI equivalent) background check that I used for immigration. This worked fine.