sexual predator on staff

EMTguy69

Forum Probie
I got this article from JEMS.com. What is wrong with this guy? It's hard to believe that there's people out there that brake the law, and make us look bad. This is an article about a Paramedic that fondled female patients while being transported to the E.R. I also read an article about an EMT who decided to steal an elderly female patient's credit card and go on a shopping spree....How stupid is that?

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
EMS is no different from any other job/industry. There is always going to be a bad apple in every bunch.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I always hope people like that get high on their own supply and defib themselves to death.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
It could be a career move to get a certification in California despite the supposedly tougher law for screening.

I just love California stories.

http://www.emsresponder.com/web/onl...cted-Felon-Certified-as-California-EMT/6$9571

Dr. Haynes is the Medical Director of Emergency Medical Services. It is his job to certify EMTs in the county.
He is fully qualified to be an EMT in San Diego, Haynes said.

The doctor will continue to consider felons for EMT certification.

http://www.firefightingnews.com/article.cfm?articleID=29937

A woman fresh out of the Kern County jail walked in to apply for an EMT card, lied about her convictions and almost got away with it until a county clerk noticed her jail wristband and made a call to the jail. The woman had been released 20 minutes earlier.

"Had our staff not noticed the bracelet, she would have been given the EMT certification," Elliott said. "It just blew us away."

--A tipster informed the county that it had granted an EMT card to a man who hid criminal convictions in Los Angeles County. Kern County officials then confirmed the EMT had lied about a 10-year prison sentence and 11 felony convictions, many of them for identity theft.
"This individual used four aliases, 11 Social Security numbers and four driver's license numbers," Elliot's report stated.

--Another Kern County EMT failed to disclose he was a registered sex offender. Kern officials discovered the man's background only after he was arrested in Los Angeles for impersonating a firefighter -- with his Kern County EMT card in his wallet.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Does not surprise me at all. EMS's scant and easy entry requirements combined with our almost unrestricted accesses to people's homes, businesses, and other private/restricted areas creates a haven for petty criminals and thieves looking to take advantage of hospitals and employers for medical supplies, and patients for other expensive things.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
EMS is no different from any other job/industry. There is always going to be a bad apple in every bunch.

But, the other professions are a little faster to rid themselves of those that bring down their profession. Other healthcare professions usually have a strict screening process complete with finger prints and a thorough background check. As well, any convictions are reported to the state to where immediate action is taken against that person's license/certification. This is not always the case for EMS and if you look at my previous post about California you will see some examples. In that state it has been possible to just change one's certifying county and keep on working. Of course it is just as easy to apply at a county where the medical director likes to hire convicted felons.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Once again, I must graciously thank San Diego County for taking the problem known as Dr. Haynes from Orange County. He's all yours, have fun.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
There's a few d-bags in my class that make my skin crawl. But they are only doing it because its "required" by FS. Still, I secretly hope they fail. They aren't the kind of people I'd want to respond to anyone that isn't already dead and gone.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
There's a few d-bags in my class that make my skin crawl. But they are only doing it because its "required" by FS. Still, I secretly hope they fail. They aren't the kind of people I'd want to respond to anyone that isn't already dead and gone.

The families of the deceased should be able to rely on the remains of their loved ones being treated professionally and with courtesy and respect. Snohomish County learned this the hard way. Medics left a deceased in the driveway to go answer a cardiac call. They were sucessfully sued.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
The families of the deceased should be able to rely on the remains of their loved ones being treated professionally and with courtesy and respect. Snohomish County learned this the hard way. Medics left a deceased in the driveway to go answer a cardiac call. They were sucessfully sued.

I mean they are of the leering, creepy, predatory type. I get the impression from them they'd be more "distracted" with a living female pt.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Around here, you have to get fingerprinted and have a criminal history done before working on an ambulance. I'm surprised other states don't require the same, especially CA.

OP
OP
EMTguy69

EMTguy69

Forum Probie

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The article about the Paramedic did not happen in California, it was in Florida.

None of the articles you quoted from my post were about Florida. Los Angeles and Kern Counties are both in California.

There were no other articles posted. You just mentioned reading something in a magazine.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
EMTguy69

EMTguy69

Forum Probie
Around here, you have to get fingerprinted and have a criminal history done before working on an ambulance. I'm surprised other states don't require the same, especially CA.

Your comment is not a fact....I live in California. The EMS Agency requires that you successfully pass a criminal background. You have to do a live-scan in order to apply for you EMS card.

I had to do live-scan for NREMT, L.A. County EMS, DMV for my ambulance cert., and one for L.A. DOT. So, all together you have 4 live-scans done, before you actually start working as an EMT.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Your comment is not a fact....I live in California. The EMS Agency requires that you successfully pass a criminal background. You have to do a live-scan in order to apply for you EMS card.

I had to do live-scan for NREMT, L.A. County EMS, DMV for my ambulance cert., and one for L.A. DOT. So, all together you have 4 live-scans done, before you actually start working as an EMT.

When did you get your Basic?

Yes the finger printing has just started but right now that is not to say the Medical Director can't still certify an EMT with felonies in his/her county until a couple of loopholes are closed.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle

Yes the finger printing has just started but right now that is not to say the Medical Director can't still certify an EMT with felonies in his/her county until a couple of loopholes are closed.

I certainly wouldn't want a convicted sex offender riding alone in the back of an ambulance with a potentially unconscious patient.

Seems like a very dangerous loophole.

OP
OP
EMTguy69

EMTguy69

Forum Probie

In October 2008

Sasha

Forum Chief
I certainly wouldn't want a convicted sex offender riding alone in the back of an ambulance with a potentially unconscious patient.

Seems like a very dangerous loophole.

Certainly the subject of this article should not be in EMS, however, I would like the sexual offenders to be taken on a case by case basis. You can land yourself on the sex offenders list for stupid things, doesn't necessarily mean they are a danger.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Not to belittle the subject but we're chasing a headline here again, right?

While some folks are "convicted" sex offenders, others are "registered". You can become a "convicted" one if you are the age of majority (eighteen here for these matters) and your date turns out to be even six months under if a prosecutor and a judge are willing to go for it. Not usual, but possible. You could also get that label if you mooned someone in public, flashed your "rack" at minors on the way home from a concert, or any of a list of stupid drunken tricks, as long as the prosecutor and the judge want to press it home.

"Registered" offenders are another lot, judged to be a potentially but not certainly continuing hazard to the community. Sorry, no quarter given, no contact with patients.

As for "fresh out of jail", that can be for a lot of things with no bearing upon medical practice such as contempt of court (including failure to appear for jury duty), parking tickets, failure to appear as a defendant, littering, driving on a suspended license...many wth very short sentences or "arrest and release" offenses, but still gets you a rudimentary record and makes you "fresh out of jail". (If everyone who was "fresh out of jail" during the Vietnam era was denied employment, many current administrators, elected officials and instructors would be on unemplyment):blush:.

Headlines and news reports are unreliable.

PS: What was a jail doing releasing that female inmate still wearing their wristband?! Basic move is you ask inmate their name and DOB, and snip it off on the spot, before or as you hand them their belongings. Smells "legendy" to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
this is the reason that Utah doesn't want to start honoring National Registry: there is no criminal screens on the National side.
Utah does full state and national criminal screen by name, DOB and SS# and fingerprints