Security Guards

You can't be serious. Somthing tells me that some random community in the middle of rural Texas wouldn't be the top locations for terrorist organizations to plan their attack. Besides, I'm sure taking an extra 60 seconds to enter the community from the outskirts via foot would be much more economically feasible as opposed to buying an ambulance.
It would be the perfect place to make plans for attacks especially if the community is full of people like you who wouldn't think of such a thing. Who ever thought the WTC Twin Towers would have been taken down? And that wasn't the WTC's first attack by terrorists. How many of the terrorists blended with the locals? What about our home grown terrorists? Do you even know anything about the bombings in Oklahoma City or Atanta?

Where these events even mentioned in your high school classes?

I'm sorry, but if you think your "gated community" is going to keep anyone out with the exception of the couple from the community next door that came by and gossip about the lack of trees and sub-par trim work you're sadly mistaken.

For someone who lists their location as Florida, you don't have a clue about "gated communities" or secure condo complexes. While they might not prevent all from entering, they can prevent a bogus Public Service worker from entering if they do not have the proper ID or my permission to enter my house or condo especially if the Security Officers are doing their job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you understand the reasoning for shutting off an ambulance that is near a building entrance. Disrespecting the health and safety of others because of whatever power trip you are on at the time to prove a security guard wrong does not make the situation right.
No power trip. Just the occasional guard who didn't like the noise decided that he would flex his muscle, and I wasn't having it. Everytime I turn an ambulance off on my shift was one more time that it might not start, thus it stayed on. And this was before people started writing articles about CO collecting at ER docks.

If I am paying association fees at a gated community for security, they darn well better check the crredentials of all who try to enter.
They had also darn well better allow the public utility companies do their job to keep my water, electricity, phone, and cable TV working. And the gated communities have no legal right to keep them out (at least in the state I was working at the time). Utility workers have plenty of maintenance and inspection work to do on their right-of-way even when nobody has called in a work order. The law allows them access to that right-of-way, and any clueless security guard who doesn't know that is not qualified to be doing the job. Sorry, but your HOA dues can't buy more protection when the law allows. When they put their hands on the guy -- who was in full uniform, with a company ID on his shirt, and in a company vehicle -- they sealed their own fate, not me.

I'm with a paid on call service my regular job is as a security and safety officer at a local dept store. Before I joined EMS I only had one experience with the service. That was when an elderly lady collapsed outside the store. I called the ambulance and when it got there I stayed out of the way of the crew. I also kept some other people back and out of the way of the crew.

When it comes to utility companies (electric,gas,phone and cable) They all have right of way easement rights. These are put down before the property is even developed. They have the right to access these easements any time day or night. This goes for housing developments or private property. I have watch many people forcibly removed from their own property by LEO, who were denying access to a utility worker. As AJ pointed out, any guard with half a brain should know this. It is part of their job.

I have never had a problem with a security guard, while on the ambulance. Some times it just takes a little talking to straighten things out. Now if they tried to detain me by force, then I would just call a second unit in, to transport them to the hospital!

No power trip. Just the occasional guard who didn't like the noise decided that he would flex his muscle, and I wasn't having it. Everytime I turn an ambulance off on my shift was one more time that it might not start, thus it stayed on. And this was before people started writing articles about CO collecting at ER docks.

You did realize you were at a hospital? Even without take CO measurements we knew about fumes and CO over 30 years ago. When I was a kid, parents would talk about not running the car engine in the garage or just idling for any length of time.

They had also darn well better allow the public utility companies do their job to keep my water, electricity, phone, and cable TV working. And the gated communities have no legal right to keep them out (at least in the state I was working at the time). Utility workers have plenty of maintenance and inspection work to do on their right-of-way even when nobody has called in a work order. The law allows them access to that right-of-way, and any clueless security guard who doesn't know that is not qualified to be doing the job. Sorry, but your HOA dues can't buy more protection when the law allows. When they put their hands on the guy -- who was in full uniform, with a company ID on his shirt, and in a company vehicle -- they sealed their own fate, not me.

As I stated before, the public service companies know the procedure. Not all are as ill informed as this one cable guy. You said nothing about water and electric. Did the cable guy not know enough to call his supervisor or some member of his company before he resorted to destroying property? I hope his company paid for the damage he caused. It really isn't as difficult as you make it out to be. Do you know how many different cable and dish companies we have in some areas? If they can not provide valid ID or a valid reason to enter, no entry. We all know you can purchase uniforms just about anywhere and toss a few tools in a utility truck to gain entrance if one wants to.

If I did not make arrangements with the cable company, they can not enter my house unless it is an emergency. Not having cable does not constitute an emergency for them to have access to my house.

When it comes to utility companies (electric,gas,phone and cable) They all have right of way easement rights. These are put down before the property is even developed. They have the right to access these easements any time day or night. This goes for housing developments or private property. I have watch many people forcibly removed from their own property by LEO, who were denying access to a utility worker. As AJ pointed out, any guard with half a brain should know this. It is part of their job.

Yes they have the right of way on easements but not to enter a house unless there is a true emergency. But, they still should be properly identified.

What TV cable emergency warrants destroying property to gain entrance when a phone call would have been easier? It sounds like this was just some guy looking for a fight. It is too bad the security officers had to take the fall for it.

The way I read it was the guy wanted on the property for maintanace of the lines, not in the house. The guard would not let him in, unless he was going to a specific resident.

The way I read it was the guy wanted on the property for maintanace of the lines, not in the house. The guard would not let him in, unless he was going to a specific resident.

And even at that the service companies know how to gain entrance without a big hassle. It really isn't that big of a deal since security officers deal with this all the time for the property maintenance and indivduals who have service repaired or installed. It just sounds like this guy wanted to be a bully and destroy property to show how important his cable service was. Hopefully the residents dumped that cable company if the repairs had to come out of the HOA funds.

As I stated before, the public service companies know the procedure. Not all are as ill informed as this one cable guy.
The cable guy was quite well informed. That's why he chose to ignore the security guard.

You said nothing about water and electric.
That's because the story was not about them.

Did the cable guy not know enough to call his supervisor or some member of his company before he resorted to destroying property? I hope his company paid for the damage he caused.
Whoa, wait... what destroyed property? :unsure:

Do you know how many different cable and dish companies we have in some areas?
No, but I know that around there, cable is a monopoly just like EMS, and there is only one provider, so it is not an issue.

If they can not provide valid ID or a valid reason to enter, no entry. We all know you can purchase uniforms just about anywhere and toss a few tools in a utility truck to gain entrance if one wants to.
Heck, anyone can purchase security guard uniforms too, so maybe we should ignore them all because they might not be genuine? It's the same concept.

If I did not make arrangements with the cable company, they can not enter my house unless it is an emergency. Not having cable does not constitute an emergency for them to have access to my house.
Like Reaper said, they weren't going into anyone's house. They were going to check on their lines, which run throughout the community. An emergency is not needed in order to entitle them to access to their lines and equipment. And denying them such access is a crime. Denying them access by force is another crime. And detaining them in the process is yet another crime. Any commissioned security officer should know this. And if they do not know this, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Sorry, I worked in the cable business as a line tech. This is not how it is done. They will give advanced warning of repairs, if they can. When you are tracking a problem, you may need to access the equipment on the property. I see no where that says he was there to destroy property. The problem may have been 5 blocks away, but it may be coming from the equipment on that property.

I would have explained that to the guard, not ran the gate. That was out of line. But, if a guard had refused access, then I would call LEO. I would be working on my problem, while the guard was being booked!

The only problems I've ever had with security guards in EMS is the occasional hospital guard who thinks I need to turn my ambulance off while it is parked at the ER dock. That ain't happening, and he's not going to be able to get into my locked ambulance to do it himself, so they are sometimes unhappy about that. Oh well.

While a police officer, I once responded to a security guard situation. A cable TV technician went to a gated community to check lines. A gate guard refused to let him in without a resident to specifically authorize him to their home. The tech blew the gate and went in anyhow. Two guards chased him down and held him for police. When I got there, I arrested both guards for assault and unlawful detention. I'm betting the cable company had no further problems there.

Please tell me the guards were in full uniform with badges and all and that's how they sat in the jail cell. I love stories like this.

While a police officer, I once responded to a security guard situation. A cable TV technician went to a gated community to check lines. A gate guard refused to let him in without a resident to specifically authorize him to their home. The tech blew the gate and went in anyhow. Two guards chased him down and held him for police. When I got there, I arrested both guards for assault and unlawful detention. I'm betting the cable company had no further problems there.

If that were to happen here the odds are very good that the crown prosecutor would call no evidence in this matter. That means that the charges would be dropped. Here in the NWT cable TV is not an essential utility. Telephone, water, and electrical corp are essential utilities. The tech in this case would be facing prosecution in this matter. The charge would be mischief to property. It would probably be tried summarily. Here in Canada our criminal code only has two type of offences those tried summarily (summary conviction) and indictable offences. Mischief is a dual procedure offence which means it can be tried as a ummary conviction or as an indictable offence.

Sorry, I worked in the cable business as a line tech. This is not how it is done. They will give advanced warning of repairs, if they can. When you are tracking a problem, you may need to access the equipment on the property. I see no where that says he was there to destroy property. The problem may have been 5 blocks away, but it may be coming from the equipment on that property.

If the gate is in the down position when you blow through it, you can damage or destroy it.

If someone can not identify why they are entering property with a decent explanation, he needs to make the necessary phone calls to allow someone who can.

Depending on the size of this community, the Security officers many see 50 different service people come and go during their shift. Yet, one cable guy decides to act like a jerk. If he couldn't provide a valid reason to satisfy them, he could also have been entering for personal reasons. People wearing all types of uniforms do occasionally abuse it for their own agenda.

Yes, this is true.

I doubt the gate was down. That would cause damage to the truck and that is to much paperwork!

It would be the perfect place to make plans for attacks especially if the community is full of people like you who wouldn't think of such a thing. Who ever thought the WTC Twin Towers would have been taken down? And that wasn't the WTC's first attack by terrorists. How many of the terrorists blended with the locals? What about our home grown terrorists? Do you even know anything about the bombings in Oklahoma City or Atanta?

Where these events even mentioned in your high school classes?
The 9/11 and Oklahoma City attacks we're for the most part done to make a statement against the government, and the Atlanta bombing was just some nutjob that got his jollys off from detonating a bomb in the middle of a croud. Somehow I don't think any those are interchangeable with detonading a pipe bomb in the Fun in the Sun gated community in Twin Falls, Idaho.

VentMedic said:
While they might not prevent all from entering
No, only those that don't feel up for the 200' detour to bypass the gate.

deleted my comments

The 9/11 and Oklahoma City attacks we're for the most part done to make a statement against the government, and the Atlanta bombing was just some nutjob that got his jollys off from detonating a bomb in the middle of a croud. Somehow I don't think any those are interchangeable with detonading a pipe bomb in the Fun in the Sun gated community in Twin Falls, Idaho.

That is a very naive paragraph. I guess I was right they aren't teaching must in high school any more.

BTW, spell check is a great feature available on this forum.

Please tell me the guards were in full uniform with badges and all and that's how they sat in the jail cell.
Yep! Although, sans badges by the time they got to a cell.

There was no property damage. With a manned guard shack, the gate remained open. I seriously doubt the tech would have physically crashed a gate, and my response would have been different if he had.

The tech had more than ample identification, being both in uniform and in a company vehicle full of company equipment and paperwork. There was zero reason to doubt his identity, and state law gives security guards NO right whatsoever to decide whether the tech's business is legitimate or not. Security guards in that state are given training on all of the laws that they violated in detaining the tech. They know better. They blew it.

Yep! Although, sans badges by the time they got to a cell.

There was no property damage. With a manned guard shack, the gate remained open. I seriously doubt the tech would have physically crashed a gate, and my response would have been different if he had.
Oh man, it is satisfying when someone gets what is coming to them. How embarrassing.

That is a very naive paragraph. I guess I was right they aren't teaching must in high school any more.
Naive? How?

BTW, spell check is a great feature available on this forum.
So I should of ended "jollies" with an ies and had an obvious typo(detonating), but unless "must" is now a high school subject it doesn't look like I'm the only one not proofreading their posts.

Back