Security Guards

SauceyEMT

Forum Crew Member
But, on the terrorist note, if they really want to you can pick up a plastic card printer for like 3-400 and make very convincing ID's so no problem with that. Any number of real looking IDs. Hell, for 1000 you can get one that imprints holograms etc.

So, in fact a national ID card will only make it easier if they have a template to work off.

www.easyidcard.com

Make any ID you want, Holograms, bar codes, etc. Someone doesnt even to buy a card printer to make a convincing ID.

firecoins

IFT Puppet

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
Not for $12 a pop plus shipping

Not to mention, if you think sites like that aren't flagged by the government, you'd be fooling yourself. Granted, I doubt they are going to go after some 19 year old trying to get into a bar, but if there is some Arab guy trying to get an ID with the name "Bob Smith," I think there would be some flares going up.

Then, I may be overestimating the competency of the government.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Not to mention, if you think sites like that aren't flagged by the government, you'd be fooling yourself. Granted, I doubt they are going to go after some 19 year old trying to get into a bar, but if there is some Arab guy trying to get an ID with the name "Bob Smith," I think there would be some flares going up.

Then, I may be overestimating the competency of the government.

undoubtably an overestimation, look at TSA.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm so glad that I work where I do. My ID is my face! Seriously, we do have IDs and entrance to the ER is only by barcode on the ID. I have only had one security issue with a pt. It was a pt who had assaulted ER staff in the past, and was held up outside until LEO could verify to the ER staff that she had been searched for weapons prior to being put in our ambulance. But again, both the pt and staff were recognizable to ER staff.

We have had no gang related violence. We did catch a terrorist trying to sneak across the border with explosives a few years back.. that was fun. Apparently the guy had malaria and the sweating gave him away to the border patrol guys. He bailed out of his car and booked off on foot. Eventually was caught, imprisoned.. never did figure out for sure where he was headed with the explosives.. theories included the Seattle Space Needle and LAX.

SauceyEMT

Forum Crew Member
can't make a NYS DL with that.

No...but I did design a pretty authentic looking Paramedic ID for Osama Bin Laden who works for Al queda ambulance service. I tried to copy it so I could post it here for laughs, but it wouldn't let me.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Security is never perfect. There is no doubt that anyone can buy ID equipment and fake IDs. NYS driver's licenses are made well above the normal ID making equipment are are very difficult to fake. They are far better than other DLs I have seen including NJ licenses. You can never be perfect but well made IDs are a step in the right direction.

www.easyidcard.com

Make any ID you want, Holograms, bar codes, etc. Someone doesnt even to buy a card printer to make a convincing ID.

Everyone should have an ID. It should issued by the state or Federal government in a fashion similiar to NYS(or other states with similar DLs). You can not make the ID I think is required with the machine you linked to.

kymtgpro

Forum Probie
Do the security check points with metal detectors require emts to check any pocket knife, utility blade, etc.. at the door. sorry if silly question, still in training.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Do the security check points with metal detectors require emts to check any pocket knife, utility blade, etc.. at the door. sorry if silly question, still in training.

Why are you carrying a knife? Shears should be adequate. A utility blade/pocket knife just gives someone another weapon to use against you.

VentMedic

Forum Chief

Yes if you did not have a proper ID or a valid reason to be carrying it. You may also be asked to remove it before entering the secured areas of a hospital which has prisoner and psych wards or before entering the secure areas of a jail or prison.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
Why are you carrying a knife? Shears should be adequate. A utility blade/pocket knife just gives someone another weapon to use against you.

A lot of EMT's I've seen seem to like to have it to cut seat belts and such. I just carry my Swiss Army knife. But I carry that EVERYWHERE, on or off duty, and have since I was in the first grade. It's not exactly a fighting knife, as the blade is apt to fold back and cut your own damn fingers off. I use it for the tools, mostly. Never know how badly you need a screw driver until you don't have one.

kymtgpro

Forum Probie

I normally carry a leatherman, of which the blade is probably used the least. If I were to forget to leave it in the cab, I wouldn't have any problem with checking it with security as long as I could retrieve it on the way out.
Just curious, many basics and medics carry some similar in this area.

Hockey

Quackers
I had a hanging. Patient was still alive. Very alive

Partner had shears. Guess what, the rope was thick enough that it wouldn't cut.

I had a knife and went to town on the rope. Did it save the patients life? I don't know if it was that, or we just got there in time. But the shears wouldn't do much for that.

Oh well

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I am also surprised at the number of ambulance personnel that get offended when asked by security to show ID.

Why get offended. When asked I will show my service ID. I'll show it to anyone who asks. I'll show it because of how easy it is to get online a complete EMS uniform. I'll show it to prove to the person that I am who I say I am and not someone who would do them harm.

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
Perhaps these security guards had heard that terrorists were attempting to use ambulances to commit their horrific crimes. Heck that fact has even been on the news. Maybe they thought they were preventing such acts. Why get onto them for trying to do their job?
You can't be serious. Somthing tells me that some random community in the middle of rural Texas wouldn't be the top locations for terrorist organizations to plan their attack. Besides, I'm sure taking an extra 60 seconds to enter the community from the outskirts via foot would be much more economically feasible as opposed to buying an ambulance.

If I am paying association fees at a gated community for security, they darn well better check the crredentials of all who try to enter. Hence, the reason for a gated community. Again, the easiest way to gain access to one of these communities is to pose as a public service worker or health care professional. Even home health nurses go through the same screenin process. As a member of that gated community, I would have sued the PD for interfering with the safety of the members of that community by preventing the security company from doing their job by denying access to my place of residence. I want no one in my home without authorization from me.

If the community as a whole authorized or requested repairs, there should be a number of a board member or another person that can authorize entrance. Public Service companies are usually aware of the rules or how these communities function and there is rarely a problem.
I'm sorry, but if you think your "gated community" is going to keep anyone out with the exception of the couple from the community next door that came by and gossip about the lack of trees and sub-par trim work you're sadly mistaken.