Seattle medic one

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Nothing you read on this forum is statistically valid. This is a group of EMS outliers who feel as though their opinions are more important than everyone else. Take that with a grain of salt. Don’t ever come to this forum looking for anything even remotely nonbiased.
of course this is biased. EVERY opinion is biased, every experience is personal, and no ones opinion is any where more valid than anyone elses.

If you want to present evidence that you claim as a fact, you should be citing a verifiable source.

chriscemt

Forum Lieutenant
Damn dude, show me on the doll where the firefighter touched you.

Since your world completely removes fire from EMS, are you down for letting them sit in quarters 2 blocks away while the EMS crews come from across town to take care of grandma who’s having a COPD exacerbation?
I guess if we're talking about my experience with ALS fire crews sitting two blocks away in their pumper while the EMS crew comes from across town to take care of the COPD exacerbation, would we technically be getting off-topic?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Like this post... 😁 And since when did EMS folks feeling as though their opinions are more important any everyone else's constitute the 'outlier' category?

the vast majority of EMS providers could give a tin poop about forums like this. Anyone who takes the time to spend time in a place like this is outside the norm.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
I guess if we're talking about my experience with ALS fire crews sitting two blocks away in their pumper while the EMS crew comes from across town to take care of the COPD exacerbation, would we technically be getting off-topic?
Were they dispatched and ignored it or something?

Did anything happen to them?

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Damn dude, show me on the doll where the firefighter touched you.

Since your world completely removes fire from EMS, are you down for letting them sit in quarters 2 blocks away while the EMS crews come from across town to take care of grandma who’s having a COPD exacerbation?
Ha!..... I started in a system where fire carried things, broke things to make a hole and did CPR...and they couldn't wait to leave once we got there...not ideal...finished up where they'd delay transport for irrelevant stuff that even if it was needed could be done en route....not ideal either.

There is absolutely a middle ground. It's the blurring of lines (i.e., putting a paramedic on fire engines) that leads to this kind of thing.

My earnestness is more on the obligations and responsibilities of the medical directors and their duty to act when field care can be improved than engine companies peeing in all the corners of a medical call. Hospital based systems are better able to facilitate that quality control, IMO. Maybe that's naïve, but there it is...

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Considering fires are maybe 10% of our call volume, while EMS is like 80%, I'd happily see EMS funded to the point where instead of 2 ambulances for 6 fire companies there's enough ambulances that you don't have to have one coming across town all the time while relying on a fire company 2 blocks away to "stop the clock".

FLMedic311

Forum Lieutenant
Exactly. All of my interaction with King County medic one have been personal and firsthand. Now that was also more than a decade ago, so I can’t tell you if the culture has changed for the better or worse.
I would still say the trend is upward! But of course that is, "in my experience"