SD EMS wage protest.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
It's unfortunately the sad reality of working in a highly desirable area that is oversaturated with EMT's/Medics.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
http://www.ems1.com/california/articles/2179882-Calif-medics-EMTs-picket-for-pay-increase/

Good for these guys. It's about time they started fighting for a living wage. If McDonald's employees could cause such a ruckus in the national eye hopefully these good folks can bring some heat on low paying EMS employers. We're talking about a city with one of the highest costs of living in the country.
Not long ago in a city not far away (Los Angeles) a rural metro owned company Pacific/Bowers tried to unionize. RM brought in a union buster and that ended that dream. People there make $9 an hour as emts. 20 cent a year raises. No over time past 8 hours. Were our own worst enemys.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I love how no one cares about this, but they'll write all day about trivial garbage such as what trauma shears to carry or whats the best way to administer oral glucose :rolleyes:.
I think you're correct @gonefishing
We are our own worst enemies.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I love how no one cares about this, but they'll write all day about trivial garbage such as what trauma sheers to carry or whats the best way to administer oral glucose :rolleyes:.
Well the excuse given in the past has always been emt is a stepping stone not a career. A burger flipper is a stepping stone in my book lol being a private paramedic is not a long career either just something to get you by until you get that fire job. Guys like me could care less. Im hoping to stay a medic well into when I can retire. I enjoy what I do.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
To argue the higher education requirement people. Why more education? Your with your patient for for at a minimum 10 minutes. A nurse is with there patient for more than a week depending on what type of nurseing shift. We've adequately proven ourselves. Fireman got a wage increase. Fires don't happen everyday yet we praise them like there is. In the LA area an emt fireman working a bls truck like a private emt does makes $75k and over. Elgible to retire at 50. Privates make $9.00 an hour. Just because they are rolling with a FD they are better?

Reactions: DPM

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I love how no one cares about this, but they'll write all day about trivial garbage such as what trauma shears to carry or whats the best way to administer oral glucose :rolleyes:.
What is there to say? It's a known fact that Socal is the most oversaturated job market for EMS in the country. Of course wages are going to be on the low side. Not to mention that as far as I can tell fire departments in the region actively oppose private EMS from becoming part of the prehospital care system.

A problem, yes. But what is the solution? Less providers in the region? Somehow pushing fire out of EMS despite them being a municipal juggernaut?

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
What is there to say? It's a known fact that Socal is the most oversaturated job market for EMS in the country. Of course wages are going to be on the low side. Not to mention that as far as I can tell fire departments in the region actively oppose private EMS from becoming part of the prehospital care system.

A problem, yes. But what is the solution? Less providers in the region? Somehow pushing fire out of EMS despite them being a municipal juggernaut?
Actually there has been a shortage. I use to tell kids straight up, your not gonna get rich and don't plan on having a family. This is a job for while you live with mom and dad.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Actually there has been a shortage. I use to tell kids straight up, your not gonna get rich and don't plan on having a family. This is a job for while you live with mom and dad.

I just bought a house. It doesn't suck in a lot of places.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
What is there to say? SoCal...as far as I can tell fire departments in the region actively oppose private EMS from becoming part of the prehospital care system.

I'll tell you what there is to say. You're profile says CO.... Not CA... So to keep this as amicable as possible... You're not a subject matter expert on what the fire departments in California need or desire. So the more you speak to that the less credibility you have. In other words: ____ ___ ____ __!

Let fire do what fire wants. It has zero bearing on what private EMS pays it's lowest earners in a given system.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I just bought a house. It doesn't suck in a lot of places.
True. Not all places suck as much as others. However, we should stand with our brethren no matter where they are.

In my case. I make a decent living, but I understand their struggle. I side with them.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
I'll tell you what there is to say. You're profile says CO.... Not CA... So to keep this as amicable as possible... You're not a subject matter expert on what the fire departments in California need or desire. So the more you speak to that the less credibility you have. In other words: ____ ___ ____ __!

Let fire do what fire wants. It has zero bearing on what private EMS pays it's lowest earners in a given system.
Well, by that arguement, since YOU work in NEVADA you have the same issue and should also do the same.

If you actually think what area fire departments do has no bearing on what EMS agencies in the same areas will do/be able to do and what they will pay you don't understand the problem.

Influence over transport contracts, the ability to provide services in a given area, influence over how much care can be rendered, oversight committees, PR campaigns, competing services, syphoning talent...all ways that fire departments can affect the ability of a private service to do buisness in a given area, which can impact what said service will pay.

Of course the flip side is that a well-established EMS agency can also play the same game.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

That's the best you can do?

This is a discussion board. Sometimes people will say things that you don't like. Instead of telling them to shut up in so many words, defend your argument.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I worked in southern CA for a year as an EMT. I've been there, and done that. - And now I work in Nevada.

I did defend my argument by stating that you haven't had such experiences in the past.

I resign myself from this debate. I don't care if you disagree with me; believe what you want. I'm not measuring ****s on this forum. Your views, while I have read them, impact me exactly 0%.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Indeed. By stating that I have no idea what I am talking about, you have therefore proven that your opinions are more valid.

No one is measuring anything. Again, we are just trying to have a discussion, which is apparently a goal that is not inline with your expectations.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I'm sorry, but huh? How many private EMS workers are waiting to get the job offer from the FD?
FD
How many career fire department's suppression units run more EMS calls than fire calls? most of them? in Ca, all of them? do you really think the FD doesn't have a stake in what EMS does?

Think of it this way: if a given area has 3 fire engines and a ladder truck, and only one ambulances, but the FD goes on more EMS calls than fire calls, do you see a disconnect? if people are using EMS as stepping stones for other careers, particularly on the FD, is that a problem?

What people fail to realize is that there are schools that pump out EMTs by the hundreds. There is schools that pump out paramedics by the scores. Then when these new graduates try to find jobs, they are unsuccessful, because they don't exist. There are more providers than positions, which leads to lower wages. Why should I pay 30k for a paramedic when I can get a new guy to do it for 25k?

If you look at NC, you will see poorly paid career firefighters. compare that to NJ, where you find better paid career firefighter. big difference? unions. EMS is the same way. I fully support unions in public safety. Fire, police and especially in EMS. It has helped in many areas; and very often, you will find those who get paid poorly either don't have unions, or have new unions with horribly negotiated contracts.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
One of the companies in the county over from me went on strike for hire pay.... the company fired all of the employees who were striking, hired new employees, and then ended up losing the contract because during the strike the company was not able to meet their contracted response times

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
One of the companies in the county over from me went on strike for hire pay.... the company fired all of the employees who were striking, hired new employees, and then ended up losing the contract because during the strike the company was not able to meet their contracted response times
Strike Action
In the U.S., as established in the National Labor Relations Act there is a legally protected right for private sector employees tostrike to gain better wages, benefits, or working conditions and they cannot be fired.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Strike Action
In the U.S., as established in the National Labor Relations Act there is a legally protected right for private sector employees tostrike to gain better wages, benefits, or working conditions and they cannot be fired.
From what I understand the company found a loophole. They moved the employees from full time to part time. When they hired the new employees there were no shifts for the part timers to pick up so they were fired for failing to meet their contracted part time shift requirements.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
From what I understand the company found a loophole. They moved the employees from full time to part time. When they hired the new employees there were no shifts for the part timers to pick up so they were fired for failing to meet their contracted part time shift requirements.
You still can't be fired. If they did fire everybody it's a really costly mistake. It violates federal labor law as well as a legal contract between the union and the company. If they strike with out the union thats known as a wildcat strike. Usually it takes 80% of the employees to vote for a strike and is always a last resort when all efforts between the union and company have failed. They probably swept the issue under the carpet depending how big the company. BUT it is also unlawful to demote one and hire another for the same job with out offering to subject A. Same goes for layoffs. Within a 6 month period if your hiring after you laid off, you have to offer those laid off workers their former jobs back.