Scope of Practice for Each State - Discussion

savemachine

Forum Crew Member
Virginia has a scope of practice for the EMS. The scope of practice is in the board of nursing. If you would like to learn about the scope of practice in Virginia, please do a google search for (EMS scope of practice in Virginia).

EMS Pursuit

Forum Probie
LA County has a very low scope due to quick transport times, I know of many Paramedics who are envious of larger scopes in different areas that let you use all of your skills!

Pediatric Intubation is the #1

Last edited by a moderator:

SpecialK

Forum Captain
The list is almost getting too long to publish!

Emergency Medical Technician
Adrenaline (IM, IN, neb, top), glucagon, GTN spray, ibuprofen, LMA, laryngoscopy (obstruction), loratadine, methoxyflurane, midazolam (clinical desk), ondansetron, paracetamol, prednisone, PEEP, salbutamol neb, tramadol, urinary catheter troubleshooting

Paramedic
All of the above plus adrenaline IV (cardiac arrest), amiodarone IV (cardiac arrest), cardioversion, clopidogrel, coamoxiclav, enoxaparin, fentanyl, gentamicin, glucose, heparin, ketamine (agitated delerium), manual defibrillation, metoprolol, midazolam (seizures/agitated delerium), morphine, naloxone, olanzapine, ondansetron, 0.9% NaCl, ring blocks, tenecteplase, valproate.

Intensive Care Paramedic
All of the above plus adenosine, adrenaline (all route), amiodarone, CaCl, cricothyroidotomy, intubation, IO needle, ketamine (all routes), magnesium, midazolam (all routes), pacing, roc, 8.4% soda bic, suxamethonium IV (RSI Officers), thoracostomy

This list doesn't include ordinary things like OPAs, blood glucose measurement, ECG interpretation etc which all personnel can do

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
The list is almost getting too long to publish!

Emergency Medical Technician
Adrenaline (IM, IN, neb, top), glucagon, GTN spray, ibuprofen, LMA, laryngoscopy (obstruction), loratadine, methoxyflurane, midazolam (clinical desk), ondansetron, paracetamol, prednisone, PEEP, salbutamol neb, tramadol, urinary catheter troubleshooting

Paramedic
All of the above plus adrenaline IV (cardiac arrest), amiodarone IV (cardiac arrest), cardioversion, clopidogrel, coamoxiclav, enoxaparin, fentanyl, gentamicin, glucose, heparin, ketamine (agitated delerium), manual defibrillation, metoprolol, midazolam (seizures/agitated delerium), morphine, naloxone, olanzapine, ondansetron, 0.9% NaCl, ring blocks, tenecteplase, valproate.

Intensive Care Paramedic
All of the above plus adenosine, adrenaline (all route), amiodarone, CaCl, cricothyroidotomy, intubation, IO needle, ketamine (all routes), magnesium, midazolam (all routes), pacing, roc, 8.4% soda bic, suxamethonium IV (RSI Officers), thoracostomy

This list doesn't include ordinary things like OPAs, blood glucose measurement, ECG interpretation etc which all personnel can do

To be clear, this is New Zealand? Also, quick q: what level of education are these? Undergraduate, graduate?

SpecialK

Forum Captain
To be clear, this is New Zealand? Also, quick q: what level of education are these? Undergraduate, graduate?

This is yes, but it's pretty much standard across all services in Australasia with a few minor differences. Australia just have Paramedics and ICPs though.

EMT is a Diploma, Paramedic is a Degree and ICP is a PGDip ontop of the Degree.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Updated the link for Ohio.

Would anyone like to work with me on a project this weekend? I'm thinking of creating a new thread with a clean list of all the states, and link to the proper pages/documentation for the scope of the practice for each of them. Then at the bottom, link to this thread for a discussion.

Thoughts?

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT

Would anyone like to work with me on a project this weekend? I'm thinking of creating a new thread with a clean list of all the states, and link to the proper pages/documentation for the scope of the practice for each of them. Then at the bottom, link to this thread for a discussion.

Thoughts?
I can help with NYS if you want :)

Jdog

Forum Crew Member

Thoughts?

California might be hard. County scope of practice overrides state here. So, what I can do in Orange County vs. Los Angeles County vs. Kern County are different (and there's like 50 counties in all of CA).

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
California might be hard. County scope of practice overrides state here. So, what I can do in Orange County vs. Los Angeles County vs. Kern County are different (and there's like 50 counties in all of CA).
Okay... maybe it would be easier to add that as a separate post to keep it clean. Agree?

MyNameIsRobert

Forum Ride Along
I just checked the process for the L.A. County scope of practice and it looks like they have updated it so you do not need any extra scope of practice to work in L.A. County. Not sure about the other counties. I can't post a link because I haven't posted 5 times yet.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Does anyone have a link to an updated CA SOP? The one in the OP keeps giving me a 404 Error.
Are you looking for the CA state policies (title 22) or a more specific county protocol?