Saudi Red Crescent Authority

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJmedic3250

Forum Crew Member
Unsure. I asked if it was left up to the employee on which type of compensation is utilized (OT vs days off) and was told it was left up to administration.

medic#7201

Forum Ride Along
Recent Job Offer

I am new to this forum, I just found it while searching for info on the SRCA. I was offered a job recently and was trying to gather as much info as I can. I have spoken to DR. Nakity and he answered a few questions.

1) Single people are housed in an apt. complex that is fully furnished w/ a pool and a gym.

2) Medics work in fly cars with a Saudi National EMT, 48 hrs a week(8, 12 or 24 hr shifts). Anything over 48 is OT

3) You get 30 days vacation which can be used at the end.

4) My wife & son will be staying stateside so their insurance is not covered.

Anything else anyone can share would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

KSchnacki

Forum Ride Along
You are working normaly 48 hours. The Overtime and per diem is normaly in your salary included. So you are not getting any more days off or more money. More money is sometimes possible in Ramadan, when you have to work more then 24 hours. But that depends. You have to ask at the HQ.

Vacation should be taken at the end of the year. But you have the chance to take some Emergency leave if something happend at home or else. 10 days I think was it.

Make clear you have a health insurance and ask how much the insurance covers! If you have none you have to go to a basic hospital like Prince Salman. And you dont like it! Trust me. King Faisal is great or King Fahd Medical City also. But you have to check if you can go there. It is also good to make a travel insurance at SABB or the other banks. It costs about 500SR a year and covers you when you are traveling. Also at home. Check for details.

If they put you to the compound, which is now ready as I heard, last year not when they hired us, you are not getting any housing allowance. And you have to pay taxi to work by yourselfe. For that you are getting 400SR extra. That was in our case so.

Go on the second day to your embassy and register yourself their and ask them for more advice. Follow these advice to stay safe and relaxed.

Dont wonder, everywhere the police guys are wearing big guns.

Dont talk to women in public which are not member of your family!!! The religion keeper dont like that. Espacially in Rihayd!!! Becareful!

Always use the Single-Section at Restaurants. The Family-Section is only for Females and Families!

Till prayer time take at the Kingdom-Tower a seat at the Single-Section. If you are standing around a guard will come and tell you to leave. Check it out. It is interesting.

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
Hey guy's, I got my packet today via FEDEX, my contract was both in English and Arabic. Just need to get my Physical and my prints done then I'll ship it off. Everyone have a Merry Christmas

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Hey guys, good news... I think one of the ground supervisors in KSA may be getting on here to give anyone who is interested some advice and all, so stay tuned. He has been very helpful to me...

helimedic39

Forum Crew Member
Hey WTE, are you gonna be on flight or ground? I understand you are going there soon. If you are flight, i'd really like to know how it's going. I am just waiting on my paperwork and plan on being out there early feb. If you could give me some info, that would be great. Also, did you go through SRCA or action aviation? Thanks

Sweety

Forum Crew Member
Can Expats carry handguns?

Why would you want a handgun? Do some research on Saudi Arabia and you may be surprised to see it is safe!!!!

It is dumbass Americans that ask these stupid questions that gives us all a bad reputation.

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
I am going as a flight paramedic. All of my dealings have been through SRCA. I am definitely going to keep everyone posted once I arrive over there...

And in regards to carrying handguns... I know Saudi Arabia may not be the safest country in the world (car crashes, camel maulings, etc.) but I am fairly certain it is safer than New Jersey, NJFLGHTMDC...

NJFLGHTMDC

Forum Crew Member
Why would you want a handgun? Do some research on Saudi Arabia and you may be surprised to see it is safe!!!!

It is dumbass Americans that ask these stupid questions that gives us all a bad reputation.

I HAVE BEEN DOING MY RESEARCH ABOUT SAUDI ARABIA. THat is how I saw THAT THEY PASSED A LAW IN 2004, AND HOW IT DEALT WITH THE KIDNAPPINGS AND BEHEADINGS OF AMERICAN CONTRACTORS. here is just one link
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52166-2004Jun18.html
Sounds safe to me, and my own personal safety means i come home alive! How does that make me a DUMBASS AMERICAN!?

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
NJ, I made my comments with my tongue firmly in my cheek, I meant no offense, sorry. Others (you know who you are) on the forum should refrain from using personal attacks, it just plain isn't nice.

If you don't feel safe then you shouldn't go...

Sweety

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys

I recently caught up to share some Xmas cheer with one of the expats working for the Red crescent. Tell you he was interested in some of the comments on this thread. His advice was as follows

12 hour shifts 4 on 4 off rotation
overtime is an issue which the Manager (expat) works out with individual employee
look at contracts carefully
some of the facts & figures given by the German are outa date or inaccurate

Have a good new year guys

Sweety

Forum Crew Member
There are many Americans over here that think they are entitled to do what they like (like carry handguns) because they are American.

I am American and proud of the fact I was born and raised in the States however a large percentage of Americans I have met in Saudi Arabia have a chip on their shoulder or somewhat of a superiority complex that make me want to look the other way.

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
And I will have to say...being a Texan, the idea of leaving my personal armory at home does concern me a little bit... I mean I literally feel naked without my 6 shooters and bandolier....

McLenin

Forum Probie
I totally agree about having a hand gun. With all due respect WTE, in New Jersey you will not find yourself sitting in front of the camera with muslims around :ph34r:, holding a sign that says " i will die today cause i am American", crying , begging for forgiveness. And next thing you know, your separated head is being pissed on.
Sweety listen you smart and proud American with all the clever answers, do you know what is going to happen to you , God forbid, if you will get kidnapped? I can say this, you would wish for a quick death. But dont you worry, stupid American man like myself will do everything to defend our people.;)

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Ok, let's keep it civil. Everyone has their opinion, and this is a great place to share those opinions, respectfully of course...

Keeping safety in mind is paramount. The risks are obviously greater than if you are in your home country. It is also fair to say that there are MANY expats working in that country who have done so for many years and haven't had any run ins with hostility, and they seem to actually enjoy life there.

To each their own, there is no reason to fight about it here online.

helimedic39

Forum Crew Member
Just a suggestion, keeps comments like dumbass americans to yourself. We are all here for the same reason. Questions get asked and I don't think that's out of line to ask. If you do some more research, you'll see there has been an increase in attacks against helicopters and western compounds in the last attack in 2004. For some of us that have never done expat work, safety is a huge concern, so please respect that. Thanks

NJFLGHTMDC

Forum Crew Member
It was a bit of a W.T.F. moment reading Sweetys comments I was referred here by a recruiter from action aviation. He said it was a place to ask any questions. As one of "the 11" He recently referred too I may be there very soon. I have never left the country beside going to Canada and Mexico. So asking a question about something that is "entitled" to me as an American, as a right. I didn't know if it was even an option, what the penalties are, and of course I would go about it legaly. I was only asking casue I am trying to make an informed descision.
Ah oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.