Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Don't let one persons attack turn you off to the forum...

I hope that just by reading the posts so far you can see that we are all trying to be helpful and honest...even though some may be a little more abrasive than others...We all have bad days.

I am excited to go, and I am counting down the days until I deploy! I will most definitely keep everyone informed as I hit the ground over there...both good and bad.

As far as carrying a gun, I think the consulate website would be the best place to get an answer to that question, although I would be willing to bet it is not an option for expats (I don't think it is even an option for citizens...) I could be wrong...it has happened many times before.

Now, with all that being said...can't we all just get along? Many of us will be seeing each other in the very near future, and I can personally say I am excited to meet each and every one of you in person and look forward to working well and saving lives with you guys...

ameriki

Forum Probie
Hi guys!! I am new to this forum but I see lots of questions about life here in Saudi and more specifically working for the SRCA. I will do my best to give you honest, unbiased answers.

The stuff about handguns.....trust me I understand your concerns but that is really not necessary. Yes there have been attacks on westerners in the past and yes there is always the possibility that it could happen again but we need to get real. Take the appropriate precautions (same as you would in the US) and you are as safe here as you are on any street in America. Bad people are everywhere and bad things can happen anywhere. It is possible to legally purchase and carry guns here if you meet the requirements. I can put you in contact with someone who can advise you on this once you get here.

From my personal viewpoint living here is great. All of my frustrations have stemmed from work. You will have to weigh the pro's and con's for yourself and make your own decisions.

If anyone has any questions....please feel free to ask. I will do my best to answer them honestly.:p

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Ameriki, welcome! Glad to see you here buddy...If this is who I think it is, you experience and expertise will be welcome here!

If it isn't who I think it is...your experience and expertise are still welcome...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Outstanding! Then your experience and expertise are even more welcome!

You two have been so helpful. It is great people like you that make international contracting the extended "family" that it should be!

I look forward to meeting you guys in a few weeks...hope you and the family had an awesome Christmas!

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Yeah I think the handgun thing was a fine question. There are no stupid questions everyone always says, right? In addition many of us in some states own and carry guns. I have had a concealed handgun licence for years. It is really not a big deal in many areas of the U.S.

Different strokes for different folks :)

Update on my progress: I am still tracking down some transcripts I was missing and 1 more employee letter.

Also does anyone know if I can use a notarized copy of my DD214 from active duty in place of an employer letter?

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
I would refer that question to the SRCA Recruiting department...

I was really fortunate that I did not have that many employers (5 total)...I feel very bad for you guys who have to track down 10 years or more of previous employers...what a pain!

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I would refer that question to the SRCA Recruiting department...

I was really fortunate that I did not have that many employers (5 total)...I feel very bad for you guys who have to track down 10 years or more of previous employers...what a pain!

I was just going to give them the last 3 employers. Those are my only EMS ones I think are relevant. I think that should be fine?

WTE and my buddy Armor are really sailing through this process!

Lucky! I will do my best to catch up
I am buying a grey hound ticket to Canada dated in 2 weeks just so I can drive to the passport office in Seattle and show them I have travel in less than 14 days so I can get my passport the same day!

Sweety

Forum Crew Member
The stuff about handguns.....trust me I understand your concerns but that is really not necessary. Yes there have been attacks on westerners in the past and yes there is always the possibility that it could happen again but we need to get real. Take the appropriate precautions (same as you would in the US) and you are as safe here as you are on any street in America. Bad people are everywhere and bad things can happen anywhere.

Well said and welcome to the forum Ameriki. I think I got some of the boys hot under the collar;) this morning. I take it you are the female Flight Paramedic with the Red crescent? It would be great to meet up one day. I was told as a female I couldn't do real Paramedic work in Saudi so went back to nursing. I met an Australian or British gal that was with Red crescent on a HASH club walk that was here last year. Same frustrations I guess! Have a good new year. The Marines should have a good night, you should come!

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
If anyone has any questions....please feel free to ask. I will do my best to answer them honestly.:p

Hey, I am sorry If I missed another post, but who are you? It looks like you are a U.S. flight medic for SRCA?

Regards,
- Mike

ameriki

Forum Probie
Shultz.....do not bother with your DD214 unless your primary job in the service was as a medic. They won't know what it is. Even if it was as a medic, your military time will not be recognized and it might even hurt you in the long run. Concentrate on civilian jobs in the pre-hospital field. These will be required as proof of your having worked the years in the field.

Sweety......yep.....that's me. I have been fortunate that I have been allowed to make a few VIP runs to treat female royalty and such. I have even taken part in transporting the medevac patients from Gaza last year and doing a simulated roadside response in the helicopter last month for the news. Although I do get frustrated that I can't perform as a paramedic would in other parts of the world, I have done things here that no other female has done. Small steps...that is what it will take.....one day we will be out there side by side with our male partners. Inshalla!!

Sweety

Forum Crew Member
Yes inshalla....the word that has so many meanings!!! Good on you sister for flying the flag. Do you see anything happening in the near future in regards to females? Is it on the cards so to speak?

Was that you at the National Guard. We watched the aircraft come in wondering what was happening.

Is there Saudi medics on the aircraft? There was a guy, looked Saudi in a blue flightsuit with the team a bit on the cute side ;). Was he a medic or is there doctors onboard?

ameriki

Forum Probie
OMG Sweety!!!!! If you saw a female in SRCA uniform getting off the helicopter...yes it was me......the Saudi in a blue flight suit acting as my partner is actually a pilot. I can hook you up if you are interested. As of right now.....we are not looking for any more females with the SRCA. If this changes I will let you know.

Sweety

Forum Crew Member
Wow that was you. We were a fair way off but couldn't miss the hunk!!! Is he single, married etc etc. Maybe PM ;)Is he flying for the Red crescent?

webmedics

Forum Ride Along
SRCA vs Action Aviation

I'm puzzled ....

Some of you still seem to be in the SRCA pipeline, others are being recruited by Action Aviation.

What's the difference? I'd been given the impression that Action had taken over that responsibility, and most of us had our resume's placed in a new pile and handed off.

Those of you doing SRCA (WTEngel, Armor and others) Are you going as SRCA employee's on a work Visa? I thought those were taking up to 6 months to get, that it was an individual contract, and even the pay varies from person to person. I was told I'd be supervisor and make all kinds of money (offer went up 3 times) each time I asked a question. Never an answer, just a "do not worry" "trust me" and then the thought that more money would make me forget the question or concern.

Jay (Action Aviation) has been nothing but forthcoming and realistic. Plenty of open communication, and reasonable requests and expectations.

Why would the rest of you continue on the SRCA path? Am I missing some thing here? Please enlighten me.

skysix

Forum Ride Along
CCW etc

As an expat working in the CONUS - which all I am sure would agree has areas that are not safe to go in, I cannot legally buy ANY firearm, let alone a handgun or get a CCW permit.

Same goes in Canada and other countries. Even Canadians can't get CCW permits in Canada - and there are areas in the GTO that area as bad as Jersey / East LA etc!

So if the KSA allows the same I would be surprised, pleasantly, and hope nobody messes it up for others!

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I emailed Jay regarding the matter. I would like to know also.

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
I am sorry you didn't have a positive experience dealing with the SRCA. My recruitment process was fairly uneventful and very straighforward. I did not negotiate the salary, as I was offered an acceptable rate and benefits. The choice to continue down the SRCA pipeline vs. Action Aviation really isn't a choice for me, as I have already finished my recruitment process, been issued tickets for travel, and am set to go. I started my recruitment on September 1st, and had a job offer in about 10 weeks. A good majority of that time was spent by me acquiring the specific documents they required. As soon as I turned everything they required in, I got a response fairly quickly, and then moved to the next step. Was there a little redundancy? Yes, but it wasn't ridiculous in my opinion...typical red tape and HR stuff it seemed to me. I have heard other people on the forum alluding to the fact that Action might not require as many documents as the SRCA, thus making the recruitment process faster, but I don't personally know what the actual situation is.

I have been issued a 90 day visa. I applied for an employment visa, however I am not sure if that is what I actually received, since the duration is only 90 days, which if I am correct is the typical durartion of a business visa. This may also be the duration that an initial work visa is issued for, but I am not sure. Either way, I am sure once I hit the ground over there I will get instructions on what I need to do in order to stick around legally.

Back to the gun issue...I understand the concerns and all, however think about this... If you were to actually draw your weapon and shoot someone while in Saudi Arabia, I am not sure what your chances of getting a favorable disposition in court would be. If obtaining a weapon over there is legal, which I highly doubt it is, I just feel like it puts you at risk in a whole different way, which may be equally as bad. I wouldn't want to be locked up in a foreign country for murder, especially considering the embassy most likely will not come to your aid. Just my 2 cents...

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
WTE I agree with your statement. I think it was a fair question to ask though. I am not sure what "scene safety" is over there. Contractors over there presently have stated we have no security during work hours and go to some very undesirable areas of town with only our driver. The only contractors who have been attacked in the recent years over there have been Americans.
It sounds like we will be some of the first Americans in any large numbers working for the SRCA. I have no idea until I get over there what it is really like, but being kidnapped and winding up on some youtube video or on algerzera is something to think about.

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Absolutely a fair question. There are no unfair questions here. Also, don't get me wrong that just because I personally would not take a gun even if it was legal, I would probably be the first person to scream like a girl and run behind one of you guys who did decide to bring a gun (if it is legal) if the poo hits the fan.

Just to clear the air, there was someone on here who had a pretty negative reaction to the gun question. It wasn't me, and I have no problem with the respectful discussion of that question by the people on this forum, just like I don't have a problem with the respectful discussion of ANY question on this forum.

I just don't want anyone to mistakenly think that I was the person who reacted very negatively to the gun question and responded disrespectfully...

Status
Not open for further replies.