Saudi Red Crescent Authority

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Has anybody here worked with the SRCA?

I have seen their job postings, and it is my understanding that they are starting the first state run Helicopter EMS system in the next month (December 2009.)

I have heard they are flying MD 209s, but that is about all the information I know. I was hoping someone who works on the ground over there could provide me with some more details.

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
I meant to say that they were flying MD 902s, not 209's... Sorry for the confusion.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I meant to say that they were flying MD 902s, not 209's... Sorry for the confusion.
I'll send out an e-mail to a Saudi trauma surgeon I know fairly well. I'll report back if he knows anything about it. Anything in particular you want to know?

falcon-18

Forum Crew Member
Has anybody here worked with the SRCA?

I have seen their job postings, and it is my understanding that they are starting the first state run Helicopter EMS system in the next month (December 2009.)

I have heard they are flying MD 209s, but that is about all the information I know. I was hoping someone who works on the ground over there could provide me with some more details.

Thanks in advance!

First: Welcome to Saudi Arabia and we welcome you to our beloved country and all who want to visit or work in Saudi Arabia
I am sorry for my tardiness. I have read your topic for some time but want to respond to you with answers are correct.

I want to tell you that nothing in the Saudi Red Crescent ambulance helicopter jets now. And that at the beginning of operation nearly two years ago fell one and all of its crew died and after this case, stop by ambulance helicopters. Now, a new ambulatory Bdonzam and I want to show you that in the event of a new news that I will make sure I tell you

I'll tell you what he said, chief operating officer, Dr. Self / Bayouk (It will be used by 28 helicopters, as well as four to six medium-range aircraft to cover the various regions of the Kingdom and coverage of the new service over the next four years, and that the service will start with six aircraft as a first stage this year in both from the Central Region (Riyadh) and the Western Region (Mecca).

He added that the number of crew per aircraft would range from 8 to 10 people, as well as air ambulance, as it is scheduled to be work in the morning followed by the evening after months of starting the service, pointing out that the crew got disadvantages courses are eligible for this work established by the Commission According to regulations in force internationally and the Civil Aviation Authority in the Kingdom)
http://www.aleqt.com/2009/10/24/article_292248.html

that is only what I know.

Sorry for the delay

thanks

falcon-18
omar

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
The Saudi Red Cresent looks like a cool job, but I don't know how I feel about giving up beer.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
The Saudi Red Cresent looks like a cool job, but I don't know how I feel about giving up beer.
Or freedom of worship, or many of the other things we take for granted here in the USA.

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Thanks for the reply Falcon, I am definitely excited to be coming to KSA and partnering with the nationals to get the helicopter EMS system up and running. I received my contract today, and they are offering me a position as a flight medic. Once I get my medical and visa clearance, I should be on a plane. I am thinking around the 1st of the year...

Now, as far as females working in EMS...

I have heard different rumors about different hospital based ambulance services considering female staff for Ob-Gyn calls and other types of calls where a female patient being treated by a male practitioner would not be possible with respect to Islamic religious and moral beliefs.

Now as far as going over there as a "queer", like you so eloquently put it, that would not be possible given their moral stance on homosexuality.

The Saudi Red Crescent seems to be trying to put together a really top notch helicopter EMS system, with up to 28 helicopters nation wide and 6 fixed wing ambulances. The pay is competitive and from what my contract says, they seem to be treating their expats well. I am definitely enthusiastic to get over there and learn as much as I can about the culture while helping those in need. Definitely a once in a lifetime experience...

Anybody else in the application process?

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
have heard different rumors about different hospital based ambulance services considering female staff for Ob-Gyn calls and other types of calls where a female patient being treated by a male practitioner would not be possible with respect to Islamic religious and moral beliefs.

Would they have dedicated ambulance drivers for them?

Now as far as going over there as a "queer", like you so eloquently put it, that would not be possible given their moral stance on homosexuality.

Is there something ineloquent about the way I identify? It would be possible, just unpleasant, just as going there as a woman would be.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Do they even allow women in their ambulance services?

I don't actually know, but I think it would depend on whether you were serving actual Saudis or the expatriate communities hosted by oil companies. The latter tend to import their own services, and are supposed to be quite Western, so I wouldn't be too surprised if those had their own EMS which hired and used female EMTs.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I know the UAE uses female Paramedics for 911, in fact they have there own UAE female paramedic program.
in terms of SRCA, not sure.
In terms of being queer in the middle east... I think that would be an even greater challenge than me going out with out beer for a year. ;-)

Sweety

Forum Crew Member
No problem having sisters here ;-) . :p You will find there are many people in Saudi who drink and play... just have to know where to look

Yes I am in Saudi.

Look carefuly @ contracts by Red cescent they are known to change things are you have landed!!!

Bye Y'all

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
What changes do they make on arrival? Compensation? Living?

What company are you with in Saudi right now?

alelkins

Forum Crew Member
Srca

I am awaiting the offer letter, after having spoken with Dr. Nakity and discussing preliminary issues. I have heard that the "Flight Paramedic" position involves very little flight and lots of ground pounding. I also wonder what the average shift looks like in regards to operations and equipment.

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
What gave you the impression that it was mostly ground pounding. Based on what I have seen, they are purchasing 28 helicopters and 6 PC 12 fixed wing ambulances over the next 5 years. I don't know why they would be doing all of that if they intended to put most of the flight medics on the ground.

I received my offer letter and other documents last week and am currently waiting for my visa. Based on what I have heard, they may hire you and extend a conditional job offer as a flight medic, but you still have to go through a skills test and interview with the flight supervisor once you are in country. If they don't like you for flight, they will put you on a regular ground unit. Also, from what I know, there are currently only 3 other western expats on the ground over there.

It is nice to hear from someone else going over. What nationality are you? I see you are in Afghanistan now, are you an American contractor?

alelkins

Forum Crew Member
Impression from hearsay in the international medic community...nothing more. I too read about the proposed fleet purchase and am excited to have the opportunnity to work in an MD 900 series platform. It will be a BIG change from the Bell 206 I am accustomed to.

Yes, I am an American contractor currently on assignment. The money is great but I miss aeromedical, and my family. Looking forward to sleeping in a real bed with my wife every night again. Not real wild about not wearing shorts in the middle east, but it's a small sacrifice, I suppose. Anything else you can share about the working environment?

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
I wouldn't listen to the hearsay, I think they are really doing the program right. They attempted to start with 2 helicopters a few years back and had a crash, which set them back a little, but this time they are going to try to be FAR 135 compliant, hiring American pilots with pretty extensive experience, using more experienced crews, etc.

The MD 902 airframe is awesome for EMS. Certainly larger than the 206, and the NOTAR is safe and quiet. I also like the idea of having no tail rotor when working with inexperienced ground crews and locals. I am currently working off of a Sikorsky S76 B airframe here stateside, so I really have nowhere to go but smaller. The cabin configuration on the 902 is similar to the EC 145, which I like. All in all I am really excited to see what they have going, and also knowing I will be one of the first on the ground over there and may have a hand in shaping the program is exciting also.

So when are you hoping to deploy by? I am shooting for early to mid January, if I don't see any bumps in the road to getting my visa.

alelkins

Forum Crew Member
ASAP...there are issues with my current gig, but thats another story. I'm told I have to come back stateside and go to Saudi from there because of the visa, so I'm looking a while regardless.

Have you seen a contract? Have any intel on the job itself?

OP
OP
WTEngel

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Check your PM.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
do you know if they will take entry level medics for ground ops? There is no DOD clearance for this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.