Ridiculous people = Ridiculous calls

Wee-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
What is the most ridiculous call you have ever gotten?

36 yo Female was bitten by a hamster. No puncture, no bruise, little swelling. Tetanus up to date and still thought it was vital to go to the hospital. WTF is wrong with people!:wacko:

JPINFV

Gadfly
I had a patient at my water park job that was looking for a law suite. The problem was that his 'incident' was so contrived that it was pretty obvious what his and his "friends" end goal was.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I had a BLS inter-facility transfer once, "dispatched" to a (now closed down) acute care hospital for a man that presented to their urgent care (their license to run a real ER was pulled several years prior) with "acute depression". My job was to take him to an impatient psychiatric hospital. We arrived at the hospital in sh*ty dowtown hollywood and start to unload the gurney. A man was sitting on the sidewalk across the street from the hospital walked up to us and said "are you guys here to pick up Bob?". My partner looked at the paperwork and said "yes". The man said "well that me, hey, I am just going to sit up front in the ambulance I aint going on that gurney".

He had no insurance, and I asked him if I could call a Taxi cab for him, to which he refused and stated he wanted an ambulance ride. I told him I would have to go inside an figure this out. I encountered the nurse and after a long discussion she demanded he go by ambulance because he could not be left alone, so I asked her why she let him outside to wander around the street. I smiled and refused to take him and left. The one good thing about private ambulance IFT is that I could refuse transport for insurance reasons or other reasons without legal repercussions.

vquintessence

Forum Captain
I had a BLS inter-facility transfer once, "dispatched" to a (now closed down) acute care hospital for a man that presented to their urgent care (their license to run a real ER was pulled several years prior) with "acute depression". My job was to take him to an impatient psychiatric hospital. We arrived at the hospital in sh*ty dowtown hollywood and start to unload the gurney. A man was sitting on the sidewalk across the street from the hospital walked up to us and said "are you guys here to pick up Bob?". My partner looked at the paperwork and said "yes". The man said "well that me, hey, I am just going to sit up front in the ambulance I aint going on that gurney".

He had no insurance, and I asked him if I could call a Taxi cab for him, to which he refused and stated he wanted an ambulance ride. I told him I would have to go inside an figure this out. I encountered the nurse and after a long discussion she demanded he go by ambulance because he could not be left alone, so I asked her why she let him outside to wander around the street. I smiled and refused to take him and left. The one good thing about private ambulance IFT is that I could refuse transport for insurance reasons or other reasons without legal repercussions.

Damn, wicked balsy. Good for you!

JPINFV

Gadfly
Daed: I'm going to guess no 5150 on that one?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Ignore this post.

Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Back on topic, please.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Inmate said he fell down stairs

Securityn camera, porminently installed in his housing area, showed him lying down at base of stairs, other inmates walking over him until he gets up on one elbow and apparently asks someone to call for help. Brough him per pedis to exam room, he is all indignant, I look him in the eye and say "We have it on tape". He just stared at me. A second guy tried a variant two weeks later, same outcome. Amazingly, our stairs safety hae increased to a perfect "zero falls" in six months.

Hockey

Quackers
First call of my 24 (still on it) today/yesterday.

Elderly M, low pulse (40). BP was fine 110/70 per staff. Early in the AM. Pt +CHF, +COPD.

We arrived, patient was laying completley on his back.

Turns out this "RN" too his pulse when he was SLEEPING. We woke the patient up, magically it ended up at 65ish. Patient is saying Whiskey Tango Foxtrot times a million. O2 stats 91%, put him on nc @ 4l and sit him up and magically everything goes normal.

RN told us we didn't know how to do our job obviously and said we should have rolled in hot and got here faster...and needed to go hospital hot...

Lovely nursing home staff

Bosco578

Forum Captain
First call of my 24 (still on it) today/yesterday.

Elderly M, low pulse (40). BP was fine 110/70 per staff. Early in the AM. Pt +CHF, +COPD.

We arrived, patient was laying completley on his back.

Turns out this "RN" too his pulse when he was SLEEPING. We woke the patient up, magically it ended up at 65ish. Patient is saying Whiskey Tango Foxtrot times a million. O2 stats 91%, put him on nc @ 4l and sit him up and magically everything goes normal.

RN told us we didn't know how to do our job obviously and said we should have rolled in hot and got here faster...and needed to go hospital hot...

Lovely nursing home staff

Nice. Good to know those kind of facilities know no boundries. Serious, is it a global epidemic with these so called nursing homes?<_<

Buzz

Forum Captain
Nice. Good to know those kind of facilities know no boundries. Serious, is it a global epidemic with these so called nursing homes?<_<

Just had a patient with moderate hypotension and c/o headache from a nursing home. I'm doing an assessment on the pt: states she's been a little nauseous as well and had been a little dizzy earlier in the day. Further assessment revealed she was wearing a Lidoderm patch... my partner's quick check over the med list it was never removed when it was supposed to have been. Talked the nurse who just about defecated a brick when I pointed that out, and the patch was removed. By the time we got to the hospital, the pt's BP was a 120/84 and headache was much less severe.

My partner was in back and radioed the requested hospital 20 minutes away (while we were on scene just across the street from another). They upgraded us to a Priority 1 being that we are a basic truck. Why they didn't think we should go to the closest facility if it was a priority 1 is beyond me.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Hehe, this call had made me think of mycroft when it happened.

We took a 18 year old male out of the jail, IFT. His story was "Fallen off his bunk" he had a tiny lac on his forehead. When we picked him up he was more concerned that his stuff got stolen. One of the CO's mentioned it was late enough, if he stayed there long enough they'd give him breakfast.

Suddenly he developed dizzyness, nausea, vomitting, chest pains, vertigo, s.o.b. Anything I asked him, he had. It was almost funny. I felt bad for him :[

tydek07

Forum Captain
I have been to a lot of "rediculous" calls...

Just the other day, sent non-emergent for a female that has rib pain from a MVC that happened over a week ago. Get on scene (partner says, great, her again), walk up to room to find pt sitting on couch. Appears to be in no distress and just says, "I need to go, I need to go", talk to her and find she was just in the ER the night before and they sent her home with nothing. Pt stands up by herself, gets shoes and jacket on with no problems, pretty much runs down the stairs in front of me and out to the ambulance. She sits there and smiles the entire way to the ER, ask her why shes smiling.. "just snickers and says she likes ambulances".

So... we have been to her place multiple times, she calls 911 prob more then once a week for B.S. things. We have to transport her, of course, just gets a little old. After we got to the ER, threw her in triage :p via nurse of course, and cleared... my partner said she was there about a month ago: They we sent emergent for severe bleeding. They get on scene to find a male (her bf) sitting there holding his index finger. Once they look at it, they find the tiniest of tiny lac. that he got days ago and theres one drop of blood on the napkin!! They put a bandaid on it and clear.

That just one of our "frequent flyers" in town.

lizhiniatsos

Forum Crew Member
3 a.m., or thereabouts, dispatched to the report of a female with 'toe pain'. Arrive at scene to find a middle aged female stating that she could not walk due to toe pain....history of event...she stubbed her big toe on a portable heater(which was NOT on) in the middle of the night on her way to the bathroom~ I was amused....my much older, wiser and more tired partner was NOT!!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
My best nursing home call ever was a guy I saved twice from cardiac arrest in one day. So advanced are my healing skills no sooner did I walk in his room while responding to “full arrest” he sat up looked at me and said “I’m fine I don’t want to go to the hospital.”

Later that same day we get another call at the facility for a “patient in cardiac arrest” we hastily walk in the door to find the same nurse pointing us to a familiar room. Upon our entering the patient wakes up with a colorful “what do you want now!”

I ask the nurse if she knows what cardiac or full arrest means. She replies: when the patient is not talking to you because he can’t wake up.

Both times med control consulted, patient not transported.

apparently the patient didn't want to interact with her.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Daed: I'm going to guess no 5150 on that one?

Negative. He was a "voluntary".

A chronic abuser wanting room and board and a free meal.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
One of my favorites just happened last month, on New Years Eve.

It was about 0200 on Jan. 1, and we got called to a halfway house for abdominal pain and discomfort. We show up and ask what the problem is, and he says that he started feeling sick, sweaty, and having diarrhea around midnight, and by 2am he started vomiting and having pretty bad pain.

So, of course we ask all the usual questions, and he had no history of ANYTHING, much less stomach pain or sickness. So eventually we needed to ask "What time did you last eat?" He tells us about 8 or 9, he had some chicken wings that tasted funny. So we ask him where he got them, and he replied "From a gas station, the 7-11 I think."

Well, now we're getting somewhere! Looking like a case of food poisoning, and that should teach him to never undercooked chicken from 7-11 again. Then, he drops this one on us. I'll try to censor myself, but get the point across.

"Hey, guys, I was having sex with my girl last night, and we did a lot of oral sex. I mean I ate a lot of p***y."

I look at my partner, who is behind the patient, and he is laughing silently but uncontrollably. I'm trying to keep a straight face, but a kind of stupid grin spread over my face.

"Look, I know it sounds stupid, but I'm tellin' ya I ate her **** and **** her **** for hours, man! Is it possible I got sick from that? Like, did I swallow too much? Or something..."

At this point, I had to stop him for fear I would crack and just start laughing. "Well, sir," I said, "while anything is possible, I think we'll stick with the food poisoning from gas station chicken theory for now. But make sure to tell the ER nurses about that in detail, as I am sure they can make better sense of that. Make sure they know all of it, any little thing could be important."

Next patient we brought in, the ER nurse came up and asked who the smartass was that told the guy to tell them his theory. I raised my hand, took my well deserved punch in the arm, and laughed all the way back to rig.

Personally, I would have thought the guy was just trying to brag if it wasn't for the very serious look on his face. That, or maybe his girlfriend was just that... Let's say "unhygienic."

Last edited by a moderator:

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I guess I can add to the excitement. Picked up a patient about a month ago from a local nursing home. Diabetic was unresponsive, nurse checked blood sugar prior to calling us and it was at 19. She then administered a full amp of D50, now here's the kicker... IM. That's right, she couldn't get it all into one shoulder so she split it up, one injection in each shoulder and one into each thigh. That was her first and last day on the job and I'm assuming she no longer has a license. The medic I was riding with went nuts and asked if she was (several 4 letter words) stupid. Last I heard patient had several surgeries to remove some of the dead areas, didn't hear if they ended up having to amputate any limbs or not.