Resources for mapping?

griffithsgriffin

Forum Crew Member
Hi all, I am trying to learn how to better navigate Portland, OR so that I am not having to rely on GPS in our vans (work for an ambulance in Clackamas County. They start you off doing IFT's until you have the skills and confidence to work on a 911 rig). I have checked my local libraries and 1 bookstore for a Thomas Guide map book. The stores are either out of stock, or have the books checked out. Anyone know any good links or materials to help with this navigation problem? Been using google maps, but that is not the most handy. Thanks!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The Thomas Guide is what you want. Here's a good way to learn. Learn major avenues and streets. All the major thoroughfares. Learn the quick wsys to get from one side of the city to tge other. Get a list if random addresses and then map to the nearest hospital. Then, drive that route. Actually driving it helps to "put the map in you head". That's how I did it with Seattle.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The Thomas Guide is what you want. Here's a good way to learn. Learn major avenues and streets. All the major thoroughfares. Learn the quick wsys to get from one side of the city to tge other. Get a list if random addresses and then map to the nearest hospital. Then, drive that route. Actually driving it helps to "put the map in you head". That's how I did it with Seattle.

Same exact way I got to know my area.

If you need to order the Thomas Guide online.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Go park at Highschool Drugs and walk back over to the FD and ask what they use.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I had a Thomas Guide, now discontinued, and a regular paper map that I highlighted and studied. I found the map useful for learning the roads and the Thomas Guide useful for finding addresses and specific locations.

Get a paper map, highlight and mark major features like hospitals, and start driving. Unfortunately they stopped printing most Thomas a guides years ago, but you may have luck finding a copy on Amazon or eBay.

Good luck!

OG EMT

Forum Probie
What ?!!!!

Did somone say Thomas Brothers maps are no longer being printed? Thats how I learned my way around when I first got into EMS almost 30 years ago! I have trained hundreds of new EMTs to use them. They dont break when you drop them, they don't have batteries that die, and they don't stop working if you don't pay the bill. WHY GOD, WHY?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Thomas Guides not being printed? I just bought a brand new 2013 edition, laminated w/ heavy duty spiral binding. Granted that was back in Feb and I ordered it online, but still

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
They stopped making the seattle area Thomas book. Never heard why. But they stopped...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I sound like a broken record, but buy a Thomas guide for yourself. I used one to get used to working in Denver

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Rand McNally bought them and they went down in quality, in some ways. And now people don't want printed maps, they can't read them anymore.

Seriously, if the Molalla vollies can't help you enough, get a map (try AAA) which covers the area properly. I have a Clakamus map which includes every game path and century old wagon trace which is more confusing than useful.

Anyway, buy TWO maps, and mark one up for practice:

1. Trace the major blockers like railroads, freeways, rivers, wilderness areas/mountains, cliffs, etc. Next, trace the major throughfares then spot their bottlenecks versus the major blockers.

2. Quarter the map up and go out and drive it. When in the area vary your paths through it.

3. Use the map when you respond so you will know what the land looks like where you tend to respond (like trailer parks), versus their location on the map. Some areas will have greater need for your knowledge, and some like trailer parks will have infrastructure that might stand your getting a map from the manager if possible.

Riding and experiencing it will pay off the best for your time invested though.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I looked it up, Rand McNally bought out Thomas Guides in the 2000s, and while they still sell "Thomas Guide" map books, they laid pretty much everyone off and outsourced everything to India -_-

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I sound like a broken record, but buy a Thomas guide for yourself. I used one to get used to working in Denver

Did ACA give you one of those fold out street guides? I don't work in the city but my girlfriend lives here and I have found I don't need the GPS with that little guy, it's awesome!

NomadicMedic

They stopped making the seattle area Thomas book. Never heard why. But they stopped...

That is a shame. I have a very nice, fully laminated, spiral-bound Seattle Thomas guide if anyone's interested… I'd be happy to sell it.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I might take you up on that since mine is not laminated...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Hmmmm I didn't know that about the Thomas guides. We still heavily use them (every ambulance has one and it is incorporated into our dispatch system).

NomadicMedic

Drop me a PM. I'll make you a great deal on it. (It's not exactly helpful with DE roads...)

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmmmm I didn't know that about the Thomas guides. We still heavily use them (every ambulance has one and it is incorporated into our dispatch system).

Yup, that's why we haven't gotten any new or updated ones.