Report Instructor?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
From a legal standpoint, what he did is not harassment. Nothing becomes harassment until the victim has instructed the suspect to cease and desist his actions. Only until after that event, does he continue, it becomes harassment.
Right now, he's just looking at being inappropriate towards a student. That's only a violation of an institutional guideline, which most likely in his situation now, depending on factors, he will be but on a suspension with or with out pay.

You might be correct from the legal standpoint (I am not a lawyer, so I cannot know for certain), but it may be that his HR department has policies that assume it to be harassment based on the zero tolerance policy.

Symbolic

Forum Crew Member
I can't believe we are still arguing over this. Just go to the school board, cry your little heart out, make a scene and destroy your instructors reputation for a silly comment. It's the American thing to do anyway.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I can't believe we are still arguing over this. Just go to the school board, cry your little heart out, make a scene and destroy your instructors reputation for a silly comment. It's the American thing to do anyway.

Is it about the instructor? No he made his bed if she chooses she make him lie in it. Comments like this have no place in the educational system. That being said we don't live and work in black and white world, more grey actually.

B stone you seem to be on a crusade here, do you not realize the jeopardy this could put this student in? Sure in the perfect world, this guy is punished and her life goes on without interruption. That doesn't happen often, ems is a tight knit group and if this guys and instructor I'm sure he has plenty of connections that could unfortunately make her life in ems difficult. Is it right, no but its reality. Yes I know what zero tolerance is but we don't live and work in a law book.

She should know the facts first before she makes a decision. That's what we are doing here, ultimately the decision is hers.

And yes a conversation like I'm not going to put up with that treatment can go a long way in making this situation a lot easier for her. I don't think she trying to set precedent here just to get through her education without being a target of sexual comments.

If it was my sister our wife I would have a little sit down with this guy, and make it real simple for him, the comments stop here understood, or it gets real ugly for you and I don't think either one of us want that.

lampnyter

Forum Captain
If she says something to him then it will obviously stop. The only reprecussion i see is if she says something and he gets so mad that he makes class hell for her which i doubt he will do.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I am on no crusade. The rules have been made- zero tolerance. If he admits to saying it to his supervisors then he's out. If he denies it but the other students back her up in that he said it, then he's out. Pretty simple, really.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
If she says something to him then it will obviously stop. The only reprecussion i see is if she says something and he gets so mad that he makes class hell for her which i doubt he will do.

Are you sure it will stop? You know how many women have asked men to stop and they don't? Many. Not all, but many.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Then if it doesnt stop then you take it to a supervisor. If it does stop then no harm done.

No. Harm *is* done. It's only stopped.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
all she needs is for it to stop. If it keeps going on then by all means take legal action.

I just wonder how many other women he has done this to.

lampnyter

Forum Captain
Im sure hes done it before, and trust me, its disgusting for guys to do that to women but whats said is said and all she can do is move on.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Im sure hes done it before, and trust me, its disgusting for guys to do that to women but whats said is said and all she can do is move on.

And he gets away with it scottfree?

lampnyter

Forum Captain
Well, we cant assume somebody hasnt said anything before. Maybe somebody else said something and he got a warning/suspension. But obviously, we cant be sure.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, we cant assume somebody hasnt said anything before. Maybe somebody else said something and he got a warning/suspension. But obviously, we cant be sure.

So because somebody may have said something in the past and he may have gotten in trouble- but we don't know- he gets away scottfree this time? Really?

lampnyter

Forum Captain
Okay then, lets call the cops and have an FBI investigation. He may be a sex offender or a terrorist. Maybe he was behind the 9/11 attacks, we cant be to careful with these people who make one bad remark.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Okay then, lets call the cops and have an FBI investigation. He may be a sex offender or a terrorist. Maybe he was behind the 9/11 attacks, we cant be to careful with these people who make one bad remark.

Surely you use hyperbole. I suggest nothing of the sort.

He ought to lose his job. And a letter put in his EMS file indicating what he was fired for.

lampnyter

Forum Captain
Yes, i wasnt being serious. I think that if he has done this before or has a history of harrasment then he should be let go. But this could of been a slip-up and getting him fired can ruin his career.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, i wasnt being serious. I think that if he has done this before or has a history of harrasment then he should be let go. But this could of been a slip-up and getting him fired can ruin his career.

His teaching career ought to be over based on his incredibly unprofessional attitude. His EMS career is fine as long as he doesn't do the same to a patient and he's competent.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Maybe theres a way she could report the incident anonymously.

Yeah, a letter to the powers that be but leaving her name off of it.