Raise of Minimum Wage

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGill01

Forum Crew Member
So just curious if you think EMS will get a raise when minimum wage is raised?

Epi-do

I see dead people
I can say with a fair amount of certainty that my employer won't be giving out raises.

A raise in minimum wage will just make me that much closer to qualifying for all those government programs I pay for but am not allowed to use. The way I see it, a raise in minimum wage essentially makes my wage that much less. In essence, it would be like getting a pay cut, but that is just how I feel about it. I am far from a financial expert though, so I could be looking at things completely wrong.

OP
OP
A

AGill01

Forum Crew Member
I completely agree with you and I have other thoughts on it too but will have to get on a soap box to discuss those thoughts

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I'm for it. Wont make a difference though unless greedy corporate America decides to make less of a profit as opposed to just raising the prices on everything.

TB 3541

Forum Lieutenant
I'm for it. Wont make a difference though unless greedy corporate America decides to make less of a profit as opposed to just raising the prices on everything.

Which is exactly how the market works. Employers do not risk their capital to get anything less than the maximum profit return, and the government imposing new minimum wage or other regulations will never change that.

I forgot who said it but, "capital is a coward. It goes where it feels safest." Business owners will not think twice about taking their capital to other countries if they feel it is threatened here in the U.S. and I don't blame them.

You guys have hit it on the head: raising the minimum wage will only bring the bottom up, but it is still the bottom. Anyone making more than minimum wage now will take an indirect pay cut when prices have to go up to compensate for increased wage.

I'll step off my soap-box now.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
It was fun a few years ago when my employer raised their base pay for new people; but didn't raise anyone else. There were a few people that were making less than the new people.

I see the same thing happening (almost) if base pay is $9.25 and minimum wages go to $9.00 no one will go up; but if base is $8.00hr the base has to go up a dollar.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I forgot who said it but, "capital is a coward. It goes where it feels safest." Business owners will not think twice about taking their capital to other countries if they feel it is threatened here in the U.S. and I don't blame them.

:rofl:

I am not going to enter the minimum wage dispute, but there is a reason jobs are outsourced and wealthy people are not flocking to move to other countries.

Take a look at the tax rates for top earners in some of the wealthiest countries in the world.

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
What greed has done to this country is a shame.

If you don't think corporate America takes a large chunk of responsibility in the destruction of the middle class...then it's safe to say you could be considered a fool.

In the 1950s dad had to be the only one that needed a job. He could afford a house, family, car, and some vacation time. Now mom and dad both have to work overtime while the CEO makes 300x(on average) their salary.

So go ahead and get on the soap box and talk about how the poor need to be paid 7.50 an hour without benefits so they can compete with Chinese children overseas being paid .50 cents a day. Capitalism doesn't benefit everyone and money is the root of all evil. :)

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Save 10% more of your salary starting when you're 18 years old, and put it into a Defined Contribution account or IRA. Invest 100% in equities, diversify, and practice percentage based portfolio rebalancing. Those equities (stocks) are ownership in these "evil companies." Use these companies to provide you with a secure retirement.

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
First of all, really good advice in the previous post. Hard to get someone age 18 or in their early 20s to listen to it though.

What should the Indonesians, Indian, or Chinese people do? Or are they less important people than us?

Fact of the matter is, wages for the average person have not kept up with the increasing cost of living for decades now. For no good reason other than some people don't have enough G4 private jets and beachfront property.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
What greed has done to this country is a shame.

If you don't think corporate America takes a large chunk of responsibility in the destruction of the middle class...then it's safe to say you could be considered a fool.

Or a part of Corporate America.

OP
OP
A

AGill01

Forum Crew Member
Those people who are satisfied with flipping burgers all day, dropped out of school and have no interest in doing anything better with their lives will be making the same amount of money or more then I am and I had to go to school to do what I do. I knew the pay wasn't great in EMS but when we are putting our lives at stake to save others I think we deserve to get paid more then the above mentioned burger flipper. Another subject that gets me is the people who abuse the privilege of the pell grant they receive from the government. But that is another subject.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I think we deserve to get paid more then the above mentioned burger flipper. Another subject that gets me is the people who abuse the privilege of the pell grant they receive from the government. But that is another subject.

What about the immigrant family that never had the opportunity to go to school, gave up everything they had to go to the US and are starting life over?

What about the teenage parents who dropped out of school in order to take care of their kid?

Flipping burgers is an honest job. That burger flipper does more for me more often than any EMT on the planet.

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Those people who are satisfied with flipping burgers all day, dropped out of school and have no interest in doing anything better with their lives will be making the same amount of money or more then I am and I had to go to school to do what I do. I knew the pay wasn't great in EMS but when we are putting our lives at stake to save others I think we deserve to get paid more then the above mentioned burger flipper. Another subject that gets me is the people who abuse the privilege of the pell grant they receive from the government. But that is another subject.

Everyone should be getting paid more. Period.

Not just the people at the top.

Even front line folks have the right to a livable wage above the poverty line. Especially when their corporation has been raking in record profits.

TB 3541

Forum Lieutenant
What about the immigrant family that never had the opportunity to go to school, gave up everything they had to go to the US and are starting life over?

What about the teenage parents who dropped out of school in order to take care of their kid?

Flipping burgers is an honest job. That burger flipper does more for me more often than any EMT on the planet.

The immigrant can go to school.

The "teenage parent" made their decision, but can also continue their schooling.

I think that your comment about EMS just now was very offensive. Perhaps you would rethink your comment if someone close to you is alive today because of EMTs and paramedics.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief

There's a difference between someone who can't work another job and someone who won't and has no motivation. I am that immigrant family, my parents started working for $2/hr in the back of a bakery, but they now are almost done paying off a house, have a family, and are legal citizens. There's not excuse even for these people to stay where they are. Please don't mistake it for a lack of compassion because I completely understand what they go through.

Should've kept their legs closed and their **** wrapped, sure accidents happen but even teen mothers have opportunities, no it's not easy and yes it's near impossible, but there's ways you just have to be responsible.

No one can argue against this, but even with the average emt only going to school for 3-6 months, they deserve better pay, the job is harder, it's also more responsibility. No one says the burger flippers don't deserve to get paid, EMS should just be paid better... but that gets into education requirements ect... and we've seen plenty of those threads.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Pay raise? Whats that! :D

The minimum wage is likely to go up here to $14 (its $13.50 at the moment) which is bare pittance and certainly not enough to even pretend to try and survive on giving the insane cost of living.

There was a huge week long thing in the Herald about it last week, it was really interesting.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
There's a difference between someone who can't work another job and someone who won't and has no motivation. I am that immigrant family, my parents started working for $2/hr in the back of a bakery, but they now are almost done paying off a house, have a family, and are legal citizens. There's not excuse even for these people to stay where they are. Please don't mistake it for a lack of compassion because I completely understand what they go through.

Should've kept their legs closed and their **** wrapped, sure accidents happen but even teen mothers have opportunities, no it's not easy and yes it's near impossible, but there's ways you just have to be responsible..

But those are processes, so they need to earn something meanwhile.

and while I don't have much sympathy for people with no motivation to better themselves, I'd rather they not be so poor they cannot meet cost of living increases which will cause them to wind up on assistance.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief

and while I don't have much sympathy for people with no motivation to better themselves, I'd rather they not be so poor they cannot meet cost of living increases which will cause them to wind up on assistance.

I agree but i think that the original point is that while they need to make enough to live on, EMS should be compensated at a higher level than they are. Again i could start up the whole education in EMS deal but :deadhorse:

TB 3541

Forum Lieutenant

So what is your solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.