Quality EMS agencies

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I'd like to start a thread where people can post any insight and general knowledge about EMS agencies in their respective localities. This is to include third service, FD based, hosp. based, and private. Good place to work, or a stepping stone agency? Salary, bennies, defined benefit vs defined contribution? Working conditions and schedules? Tuition reimbursement? Step increases or merit based increases? Call volume and acuity of pts? Perhaps this info can help those who are either new to EMS, or want to leave their current employer for a better opportunity. Job postings on paid sites often don't tell the whole story. Hopefully this thread can point some in the right direction, and help some avoid moving somewhere for a job they end up hating.

Afflixion

Forum Captain
Alot of people won't speak of their companies in which they work as it can bring about certain issues for people. Just thought I'd give you a heads up if you don't get many replies. I'll pm someone information such as that but not publicly post it. :unsure:

OP
OP

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
True. I haven't thought about that. Maybe some can post positives about agencies they know about, at the least.

terrible one

Always wandering
If you want to work in SoCal I know of some places/people in LA, Ventura, Santa Barbara, Orange, Kern, and San Luis Obispo Counties. I can give you some insight just P/M me

lafmedic1

Forum Crew Member
Acadian Ambulance in Louisiana and Texas. Largest Private Ambulance service in US owned by its employyes. You can tie your 401K with Employee owned stock options. THe company stays ahead on equipment and is pretty fair along Hours and rules. Over 200 units, 7 helicopters, and offshore safety paramedics. Ive been there 7 years with no issues and my father 30. It was started with 2 units and 3 guys and hasnt forgotten that its medics are its rootsafter 30 years

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
Well, let me start with my experience in New Hampshire.
NH is primarily FD based EMS and the more back woods you go the more volly it becomes. The 2 biggest cities (Manchester & Nashua) are run by Rockingham Ambulance (A private but Hospital owned agency) At Rockingham you get your normal city mix of 911 calls. But Rockingham also does a lot of IFT and they do not utilize their resources properly on IFT's. but they look at dollar signs. But many people start here then go to one of the paid fire services and get paid better, with a pension, no IFT's, lower call volume, etc.
There is also CarePlus in NH. They are a private agency that handles almost only IFT's. I believe they do a small amount of 911, but I never worked there, so I dunno.

The Buffalo, NY/Niagara Falls Area: There are 2 private agencies that run the entire area. Rural/Metro & Twin City Ambulance. Twin City is quite small in comparison and cover 2 towns only (Tonawanda & Amherst). Twin City paid less and a lot of Twin City employees came to Metro.

Metro is the only other option and they have their issues. The pay in the Buffalo area sucks. Metro is currently having contract issues. And I can go on and on.

If anyone wants more info on these 2 areas please PM me.

OP
OP

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I worked in NY for Hunter Ambulance-Ambulette, North Shore-LIJ CEMS, and the Flushing/Jamaica/Brookdale hosp system. My cousin's husband is a FDNY EMS Capt. I worked for Charleston County EMS in SC. I currently work for Fairfax County FRD. If anyone needs any info, let me know.

medic417

The Truth Provider

medic417

The Truth Provider

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
EMS is a small community, everyone talks so I hear all about most companies in the eastern half of WI. If anyone has any questions I can answer them but I don't have the time, patience, or desire to write a review of all of them.

Also remember that it's all in the eye of the beholder. You could have a bad experience with one company but that may be exactly what I'm looking for, or they may hire a new supervisor (or any other position) shortly after you leave completely changing how you see the company. I would rather ask the questions directly to the company and have a look around rather than taking somebodies word for it.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
there is a reason that AMR trucks have the map of the US on the truck...

it is so when the crews find themselves in a place they don't know, they can find their way back... :p

trust me, there isn't a town in MA that i haven't been to or driven through... all I can say is thank god for GPS.

Last edited by a moderator:

atropine

Forum Captain
LAFD, great place to work the BEST FD in the worl, great benifits, and retirement, and with OT you can make over 100k a year , and beach = bikini's

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually that depends on which region. Some areas AMR is considered a horrible place to work.
In Indiana, the saying goes that AMR stands for the three kinds of people they hire:
-A&&holes
-Murders
-Renegades (also stated as "rogues", "rapists", "retards" and "rejects")

The other acronym definition is "Another Marauding Retard".

I would not work for AMR here.

with OT you can make over 100k a year

Which in LA, will just about get you a studio apartment in a nice part of town.... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Maya

Forum Lieutenant
I'm not speaking from experience, so keep that in mind, but I have been researching and asking around a lot lately, because I'm applying for jobs.

For the Bay Area:

Best companies to work for, since they're they're the only private 911-service providers in the Bay Area (don't know about management issues):
AMR
King's-American

Best companies that aren't 911:
Royal
NorCal

Having management issues or only provide basic patient transport:
WestMed
Silicon Valley Ambulance
Priority-1
Golden State Ambulance -- Really bad. They call it 'Golden Showers.' I had a horrible interview here. The guy was a total jackass.

Again, I'm mostly just going by what I've been told.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
LAFD, great place to work the BEST FD in the worl, great benifits, and retirement, and with OT you can make over 100k a year , and beach = bikini's

Not worth having to be a firefighter.

R.P.D.L.T.B.

There are plenty of quality services in my region... AREA, Evan, Greater Columbia, Hanover Township, Berwick Area Ambulance, Tyler, Shenandoah... the list goes on and on.