Quality EMS agencies

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
I tried to get on with Lee County EMS as a first choice before either Charleston or Fairfax. They probably have an absurd amount of apps on file, and for good reason. I heard that real estate in Ft. Myers dropped and is quite affordable at the present.

we get anywhere from 400-1000 applications with each hiring round... depending on how long they leave it open for. Its very competitive to get hired here... but its worth it.

We have quite a few medics here from NYC that decided to leave post 9/11...we get people from all over the country applying here.. which is neat.. very diversified group of employees.

I'll make sure to let ya'll know when we do hire again... it might be a while.. we are facing up to a 15% budget cut.. and we have close to a 50 million dollar budget...so its a big cut... we're all hanging on for one hell of a ride with this going on.

k20

Forum Ride Along
All those new EMTS in South Florida, stand clear of Medics Ambulance Services.
I work with them for a year (this wasn't my first job as a emt - I worked with another ambulance service prior and a night club as a emt ) and they are NOT the place you want to go to.

I won't get into details but you should ask around BEFORE you apply. Ask ANYONE who has worked with them.

If you want to give it a try keep your current job and work min hours to build a record and protect your license. By all means protect your license.

I also understood that AMR in that area was no good also. That was a shock to me because AMR in Northern California (Sacramento) I heard was a really good place to work.

I think its just a South Florida thing. The right to work state.

reaper

Working Bum
Looks like they haven't changed in 20 years!

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I work for a Central Texas EMS agency, and know alot about Central Texas EMS services. Anything within 2 hours of Austin.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Charleston County EMS, SC, looked good on paper. Start as a medic crew member at a rate of 38000/yr, then upgrade to crew chief after six months for a base of 45,000/yr, top out of 68,000/yr. Shifts are 24/48, no kelly's, or 12 hrs - XXXOOXXOOO. Beautiful place to live, but the surfing sucked.

It takes 10 years to top out. No union. Promotions are of the good ole' boy methodology. All units have at least one medic. Paramilitary structure - EMT=private, medic crew member=corporal, crew chief=sergeant, station medic crew chief officer=Lt. Supervisors are Lt II, Capt I, CaptII(I think) major, and the director.

All ALS 911 only County based third service, ran out of stations. Work environment varies from ghetto urban to suburban, to McMansions, to straight up rural. RSI capable.

28 year state retirement at 50%, OT not factored in. Medical coverage leaves much to be desired with large deductables.

To get off for a holiday, you MUST get someone to cover, or you're SOL. It saves them the headache of filling vacancies, speaking of which...... 12 hour personnel can be held for up to 36 hours total. 24 hour personnel for 48 hours, as often as necessary. Twice monthly, you're on call for 12 hours. You're only paid if you're called in, no compensation for having to be readily available. You'll be recalled as often as necessary, irrespective of how much OT you sign up for.

When you take sick or personal time, your OT hours will convert to straight time. Example: 56 hours scheduled = 40 straight time, 16 time and a half. If you take 12 hours off, you're paid 40 straight time, 4 time and a half, and 12 additional hours straight time.

The EPCR is used for reports. Reports are able to be sent electronically to the hosp. Oftentimes, you'll roll up at the hosp, and the next job is already on the screen. You need to offload the pt as quickly as possible, get the RN to sign the blank tablet, and go to the next call, pronto. Multiply this by about 6-10 jobs, then fast forward to 0230 hours, where you're trying to play catch-up. Is it 0700 already? No problem! Just sync your unfinished reports to the station computer and keep going. Stuck for an additional 24 hours? Deal with it.

When you check your rig, it had better have EXACTLY the correct number of everything. 24 4x4's, not 23 or 25. 20 band aids. No kidding, no exaggeration. I was written up for stuff like that, as were others.

At any time, you can be rotated to another station or a street corner for coverage. This typically happens 1-3 times nightly, breaking up any chance at sleep. The rule for converting a 24 hour rig to a 12 hour one is if the unit is out of the station for call more than 60% of the time. Those sleep depriving relocations don't count, however.

Local FDs give BLS back, except for Mt. Pleasant, who have engine medics.

Ther are a number of good ole' boys who are still fighting the war. I've been told that the war isn't over, it's only halftime. Ther are so many from Ohio, that natives started this website: www.gobacktoohio.com

Frequently I witnessed medics just loading the pt and taking off, maybe getting some thing done. I don't like to stay on scene for long, but I do like to get some things squared away so I can better manage the pt when I'm alone in the back, should they have the CTD potential. "Just take 'em to the hospital, boy, what are we gonna do for 'em?" is what I've heard on more than one occasion.

Turnover is huge there. You do the math on that.

Other choices include hospital based IFT with either MUSC or Roper hosp, both excellent choices. Other neighboring EMS agencies are either low paying TSEMS or FBEMS dual role.

CME's are mandatory and are given monthly in 6 hour blocks, for straight time, on your off day. Held over after your shift is over? Find a way to attend the other session(mutual or paid time off) or be written up. Even if you were held over repeatedly.

there RSI QA/QI was such a fiasco, the dept made up a reference chart with dosages given based on pt weight in #'s in 25 lb increments:eek:

When I had the chance, I broke out like a 14 year old going through puberty.

Have things changed at all? I heard with the new Asst. Director some things had changed. How were protocols? They seem sort of limited and with all that work it seems like you would be bringing in large paychecks.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
That sounds horrible.

bigdogems

Forum Lieutenant
EMS is a small community, everyone talks so I hear all about most companies in the eastern half of WI. If anyone has any questions I can answer them but I don't have the time, patience, or desire to write a review of all of them.

Also remember that it's all in the eye of the beholder. You could have a bad experience with one company but that may be exactly what I'm looking for, or they may hire a new supervisor (or any other position) shortly after you leave completely changing how you see the company. I would rather ask the questions directly to the company and have a look around rather than taking somebodies word for it.

Since this can no longer bite me in the A$$. Stay out of Milwaukee county. It is the biggest Charlie Foxtrot of a system that I've ever seen. Just because you run around in a truck that says MED on it doesn't mean much when you work under I-99 protocols

RocketMedic

Where is that?

RocketMedic

Necromancy at work, I'll put up some real input once I get this Black Friday thing settled.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Have things changed at all? I heard with the new Asst. Director some things had changed. How were protocols? They seem sort of limited and with all that work it seems like you would be bringing in large paychecks.

Chirp Chirp?

OP
OP

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Chirp Chirp?

I think "medicnextdoor" works there, but I'm not sure. I've sent a PM to ask some questions, but I haven't received a response yet.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm curious if anyone has any information about EMS services in the Tidewater area of Virginia. I'm going to be taking a job down there and want to see what I'm getting myself into.