Pulse ox & aeds, shouldnt bls units have?

Yikes. Felling like an ***.

Hahah. Thanks guys. :/

We had Pulse Ox most of the time that I was BLS, but I seldom used it; if they were symptomatic and were working to breathe they got oxygen, otherwise? we were allowed to give the patient the O2 that they needed or didn't, no just high flow everyone

Here's a thought: make it a Medicare requirement -- if your BLS "ambulance" doing IFT dialysis runs doesn't have an AED (or pulse ox, or whatever you deem necessary), then Medicare shouldn't (wouldn't) reimburse.

I do not understand why BLS units don't have a pulse ox or an AED either. And regarding the guy who said having your own pulse ox is an easy way to get your card pulled.....really. That doesn't make sense to me.

I have my own pulse ox, its a good reference tool that goes along with my patient assessment.

I do not understand why BLS units don't have a pulse ox or an AED either. And regarding the guy who said having your own pulse ox is an easy way to get your card pulled.....really. That doesn't make sense to me.

I have my own pulse ox, its a good reference tool that goes along with my patient assessment.

Doesn't matter if it is not in your protocols. While pulse ox may be easy to use (and let's be honest, a monkey could figure out to put it on a finger), if you go outside of your regions scope of practice, you're essentially breaking the law.

With that said, I even feel the same about a glucometer.

Doesn't matter if it is not in your protocols. While pulse ox may be easy to use (and let's be honest, a monkey could figure out to put it on a finger), if you go outside of your regions scope of practice, you're essentially breaking the law.

With that said, I even feel the same about a glucometer.

A good way to get fired and get your card pulled is to operate outside of your scope. SpO2 monitoring is not in every EMT scope.

Here all ambulances (BLS/ALS) are equipped with the same pieces, regardless of their tasks (emergency and non-emergency duties). AED+Emergency Backpack with PulseOx, glucometer, sphygmomanometer, etc - it's mandatory.

If the ambulance is not provided with the aforementioned equipments, it is simply not allowed to perform any sort of medical service.

You'd be surprised how often I get false numbers from first responders when it comes to pulse oximetry.

Sure any monkey can put it on the patient's finger but without a good pleth wave the number it spits back at you doesn't mean anything. At all.

You'd be surprised how often I get false numbers from first responders when it comes to pulse oximetry.

Sure any monkey can put it on the patient's finger but without a good pleth wave the number it spits back at you doesn't mean anything. At all.

But the number has to be 100% on all patients right?! :D

Which is why I can't wait for our new monitors and hope SPO2 is integrated so we can get an actual visual waveform. We can even visually see if PVC's are non-perfusing or perfusing!

Which is why I can't wait for our new monitors and hope SPO2 is integrated so we can get an actual visual waveform. We can even visually see if PVC's are non-perfusing or perfusing!

You mean the LP15s or Zolls we were supposed to get over a year ago? Lol

You mean the LP15s or Zolls we were supposed to get over a year ago? Lol

Yuppppp. As much as I've started to like the 15's. I want the zolls as that's what everyone out here uses.

They are required in Texas on BLS or at least on our BLS truck at my service they are

Pa requires an AED and Pulse Oximiters on all BLS units as of 2004 I believe it was.

We used to be optional and alot of larger companies Like your private fleets the cost of purchasing 30 AEDs and Pulse Oximeters was a little much so they held off until they had to

Pulse Oximeters tend to make EMT's lazy though, they see the numbers spit out and go with it,

The more automation we use, the more our manual skills weaken, I know everyone hates that monkier but its true relying on machines to do your job make you more prone to mistakes, Reference threads about Auto BP Cuffs. you'll see what i mean

A good way to get fired and get your card pulled is to operate outside of your scope. SpO2 monitoring is not in every EMT scope.

Kinda stupid. We'd consider it as part of routine vital signs.

Lots of hospital respiratory therapy departments use the little finger-only pulse ox devices - no waveform - and they make clinical decisions based on the number that comes up. If you have a monitor that shows the waveform, and the waveform is crappy, then I agree with you, the number is pretty worthless. Also remember most have at least a 12-second delay before meaningful numbers come up.

I'm pretty sure our state DHEC requires an AED on all BLS units.

I know several people have brought up the AED issue and seem to get pushed under the rug. Maybe its a Rural metro thing.

It must be a regional thing because my division has AED's on all of our BLS units.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every BLS ambulance here has a decal that says "AED equipped".

Back