Princess Cruises?

TacMedic

Forum Probie
I still think it would be a great job for me, having retired from my career at a young age, but I can't get hired by them after three attempts. I never get an explanation as to what the issue is in every case.

TacMedic

Forum Probie
I applied to Princess Cruises.
Found out today they rejected my application with no reason given. Just some follow through with the board
Yea, get used to that. I've been rejected three times in the 5 years I've tried to get hired by PCL. You never are told anything as to why the rejection.

AZmedic89

Forum Ride Along
I applied to Princess well over a month ago. My question is will I get something that tells me I've been rejected for the position. In the online section where it says my submittals under actions it is blank, is this normal? Also the job is no longer posted.

Old Man of the streets

Forum Ride Along
I applied right after they started using Paramedics a few years ago. They loved my qualifications, but the pay just wasn't what I wanted. I'm working offshore, 21 days on 21 days off making 60+/yr depending on assignment even more with benefits. I'm the only medical person onboard so I do it all here. Maybe if my assignment went away and I was going to take a 20K/yr pay cut I would re-apply. If anyone is looking for Remote Medical work, look offshore.
I have considered off shore rig work before and frequently check Rigzone.com, but lately I have noticed that there are "offshore" requirements or experience needed before applying is even an option. I am 53 and at the end of an ambulance career. I maintain my NREMT-P, but haven't been on a truck in 2.5 years. When my former company had a R. I. F. and began combining departments (laying off managers) I took a job as a state employee. Currently working as a Safety Consultant III for the state and the agency I work for is less than desirable. I really want to move on. I like the idea of being at work for a set amount of time and then being off the same (21 on and 21 off) etc. This would give me more time to care for my father and help my mother.

Uk para

Forum Ride Along
Hi, new to the site. I'm a para from the uk. And princess are recruiting loads over here at the moment. I can't apply at the moment due to the fact I am currently completing my degree in critical care.
Just have a few questions.
1st. My wife is a nurse, have you guys ever heard of a due contract been used. Obviously it may make be a positive and a negative for them.
Also was wondering (I no pay isn't realy discussed here and not asking to give out figures but) how much more are nurses on the paras. Obviously with us. Our joint income is more important than mine alone.
2nd. I have university acredited training in minor illness, injury and advanced practice skills and assessment. Do they take these into account on ship and allow you more autonomy.

Cheers in advance

TacMedic

Forum Probie
Good luck. I have never seen figures on salaries. That seems to be another dark secret. Slightly bitter as I've tried my way at employment as a paramedic three times (U.S.) and I get nowhere with the company.

OP
OP
J

jaysonsd

Forum Crew Member
No, I put it up there when I first got hired. US para starts 3200 with base experience, topped out at 3,667 at the end. UK and Canada got paid more (probably related to the relative income based on national for each, buncha ******** considering my pay would fluctuate based on number of days in the month, theirs was a set amount).

You have to think of this job as like a Naval corpsman, anything you can or willing to learn, they will teach you to use.

What's a due contract?

Uk para

Forum Ride Along
Sorry I ment a duel contract, basically so we are imployed together and are on the same ship. It would be pointless for us if we saw the worlds seperatly

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I asked them this 2 years ago and they said it was not possible. Not sure if it thats still the policy

OP
OP
J

jaysonsd

Forum Crew Member
It's 'possible'. I handed over to a South African medic, his wife had just joined a month before for training and taking over for the other medic. But, generally, they stagger contracts so the whole medical team doesn't turn over in one or two weeks. That being said, anything can happen because medics keep leaving :p

wynninio

Forum Ride Along
Hello All,

I am a Paramedic working frontline in the UK. I have been offered a position with princess cruises after passing the interview and exam. Even after reading the mixed reviews on here I think it sounds a better environment than the current frontline NHS is. I'm not sure if people outside of the Uk are aware of how much the NHS is struggling at present with workload and staff retention. I'd be happy to hear how people are getting on with princess cruises or if any others have applied? Also it looks like Royal Caribbean are following suit and will be looking to employ ship medics too. viva la revolution :)

wynninio

Forum Ride Along
Hello, not sure really. The clinical exam was straight forward and the interview was too. I think they are looking more at you as a person and your attitude rather than your clinical skills as you work as a team. They paid for my flight and hotel expenses and I was offered a job a week after the interview. The next bit can be more drawn out apparently. Need to get the medical, DBS check etc. Apparently they can take up to two months for that but once all thats completed you tell them how may weeks notice you require and they set you a date. Sounds a bit more streamlined but I suppose this thread started in 2012 so its 4 years in.

OP
OP
J

jaysonsd

Forum Crew Member
Also it looks like Royal Caribbean are following suit and will be looking to employ ship medics too. viva la revolution :)

I keep hearing this, google is not my friend with any info. How did you find out? PM me if you wanna update of info, have some contacts UK wise that have done several contracts.

wynninio

Forum Ride Along
Hi Jayson, not worked out how to send a PM yet :) I heard the royal caribbean rumour from a nurse who was at the assessment centre with me at the carnival group. She had worked for royal caribbean and her mate was in the midst of recruiting paramedics Yeh any UK contacts would be great as Id love to compare their experience. My fear is I get stuck on the ship where they don't let anything than 2 stripe officer mingle (hope it was a one off). I can put up with a room with no window but I suppose its only 4 months so if i don't like it I'll just come back to the Uk. Quite lucky in the UK as a paramedic can get a job anywhere in the country, they have a massive shortage. You still working for princess?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
if anyone gets on board with any other companies they should definitely post about it! :)

wynninio

Forum Ride Along
Well I have my offer for the "grand princess' starting in July subject to visa, medical checks etc. Anyone worked on the Grand princess? Am I getting a room with no window and not allowed to mingle in the passenger areas due to not being a 2 stripe officer? haha can you tell Im dubious? :)