Potential media ride-along / special

SORescue

Forum Ride Along
Hi,

In addition to being an EMT I am a producer for Fox.

In September, our streaming platform "Fox Nation" will be airing a series of projects focused on First Responders.

We're looking for 2 things:

1) A relatively busy agency that will allow us to "ride along" for some shifts and produce a day-in-the-life type special following an EMT, Paramedic or firefighter. (Obviously I am extremely aware of the need to stay out of the way of those working on emergency scenes, as well as the HIPAA and privacy-related concerns with videotaping near EMS scenes. We would not use video of anyone who does not wish to be on camera, or show any patient-identifiable information for any EMS calls).

2) Looking for good video of a rescue or incident caught on camera where we would be able to interview the victims and responders who were involved, to tell the story of their heroics in-depth.

If anyone knows any agencies that might ant to participate in one or both of those projects, please let me know.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Cohen
Executive Producer
Fox News Network

Last edited by a moderator:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Since you are coming from NYC, you can cross the Hudson into NJ, and reach out to Newark NJ, which is pretty busy, and they have had camera crews in the past. You can also try Jersey City EMS, or New Brunswick EMS. Most of them will have a contact name and email on their websites.

You can also call Wake County EMS in North Carolina, Durham County EMS in North Carolina, or anyone listed at https://www.emsworld.com/article/12...y-countrys-busiest-departments-and-ambulances

no guarantees they will say yes, but it can't hurt to make a few phone calls or send a few emails

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
"Busy" does not always = great footage. For example, if my truck runs 20 calls a shift but every transport is 5-10 minutes away, then there is less opportunity for challenging or complex cases to develop. Does it happen, absolutely. And the higher volume does bring more possibility of that.

On the flip side, if you go to a semi-rural, or rural area, the call volume is less, however the transports are much longer. A higher acuity patient often emerges during that transport requiring a lot more intervention than a diesel bolus and dump at an ER. Anecdotally, I encounter far less BS in these settings as opposed to some of the more urban ones I have worked, primarily attributed to the rugged disposition of people who have been extremely self reliant their entire lives out in the sticks.

Just food for thought, not trying to stir a debate.

Fastfrankie19151

Forum Crew Member
Philadelphia has had video crews in the past also look at Crozer Chester Medical in Delaware County Pa or Mercy Fitz Ems in Delaware County Pa two very busy hospital based systems

Emily Starton

Forum Lieutenant
"Busy" does not always = great footage. For example, if my truck runs 20 calls a shift but every transport is 5-10 minutes away, then there is less opportunity for challenging or complex cases to develop. Does it happen, absolutely. And the higher volume does bring more possibility of that.

On the flip side, if you go to a semi-rural, or rural area, the call volume is less, however the transports are much longer. A higher acuity patient often emerges during that transport requiring a lot more intervention than a diesel bolus and dump at an ER. Anecdotally, I encounter far less BS in these settings as opposed to some of the more urban ones I have worked, primarily attributed to the rugged disposition of people who have been extremely self reliant their entire lives out in the sticks.

Just food for thought, not trying to stir a debate.
I agree with you buddy.