Police use HIPAA to charge person for recording them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

There are many fine officers, but the desire to catch the bad guy or save the world from ourselves gets the better of some.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Seems like an absurd charge....... But being video taped is ANNOYING, nobody likes constantly being on edge. This in no way justifies the actions of the Sheriffs Office....... Just stating it is annoying, and rude to video tape.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Unless the police officer is fired and charged with destruction of property, why should we trust police officers again?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Henderson should insist that we take the deputy at her word, assume she collected the camera and its footage as evidence, and then we can all begin discussing how much prison time the deputy should be doing for destruction of evidence and obstruction of justice.
That, PLUS a civil rights suit for illegal search and seizure.

I'm usually against litigation but sometimes that's all there is against corruption.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
As was discussed a while back, there are actually laws in some states about this since surveilling officers is the first step in assassinating or blackmailing them. Others don't want it done at all because things are taken out of context. And some don't want it because they are corrupt.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Seems like an absurd charge....... But being video taped is ANNOYING, nobody likes constantly being on edge. This in no way justifies the actions of the Sheriffs Office....... Just stating it is annoying, and rude to video tape.

Why is it annoying? Unless they are shoving the camera in the patients face, they have every right to be there. Unless you know you're doing something wrong and don't want it filmed. Seems like the only people who object to filming are ones who have attitude problems and feel like they are being questioned. And they don't like being questioned.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Let's put cameras in the back of all ambulances and put the voice recorders back into AED's, with mandatory daily download to your local EMSA (not to mention maybe local newspaper or blogisphere?

Kevinf

Forum Captain
EMTs don't generally have the power to levy fines and imprisonment against any person they like in the back of an ambulance. Patient treatment is generally a private thing (though I wouldn't be opposed to recordings being made that are sealed unless a complaint is filed, ex. PT complains of inappropriate contact by provider, and the PT also has the option to have their transport video deleted) versus arrests and imprisonment which are public record (per the country's founding documents).

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Let's put cameras in the back of all ambulances and put the voice recorders back into AED's, with mandatory daily download to your local EMSA (not to mention maybe local newspaper or blogisphere?

Strangely enough, I would find wearing a voice recorder to actually be useful. That way I wouldn't have to write a chart, I could basically dictate what I saw, thought, and wanted as I went.

Pathologists do this and it works really well.

With video would be even better.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
EMTs don't generally have the power to levy fines and imprisonment against any person they like in the back of an ambulance. Patient treatment is generally a private thing (though I wouldn't be opposed to recordings being made that are sealed unless a complaint is filed, ex. PT complains of inappropriate contact by provider, and the PT also has the option to have their transport video deleted) versus arrests and imprisonment which are public record (per the country's founding documents).

But none of those apply to John Q. Public videotaping from a public area.

JPINFV

Gadfly
4 of the trauma bays at one of the hospitals is video recorded for QA and training purposes.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
4 of the trauma bays at one of the hospitals is video recorded for QA and training purposes.

Same here along with some of our ICU and Neuro floors

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief
I can tell you I hate being video recorded and try to stay out of shots as much as possible. If we have a legitimate complaint against someone recording we will ask they leave the area and then get law enformcement to remove them. For example while running calls with the fire department if we have a fatality wreck or a very bad injury wreck on the highway, and someone tries to stop on the shoulder and record, the cops will tell them to leave then issue them a ticket for illegally parking their vehicle, same goes on all roads really. If they pull off in a parking lot owned by a business and try to record sometimes the police will tell them to leave and then warn them they will be issued tickets for loitering. Fact is I don't want to be the guy in uniform in the background on any news story about who's who died and the response time by EMS was twice the state average and dispatch got the wrong fire department and blah blah blah...

If someone wants to legally video us fine. If someone is in any way impeding us or annoying us, and we have a legal reason to request police to begin issuing tickets, we will.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
If someone wants to legally video us fine. If someone is in any way impeding us or annoying us, and we have a legal reason to request police to begin issuing tickets, we will.

Be a freaking adult. If you want to be a public servant...act like one. "Annoying you" is not a good reason to selectively enforce the law.

Your feelings don't enter into the equation.

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief
Be a freaking adult. If you want to be a public servant...act like one. "Annoying you" is not a good reason to selectively enforce the law.

Your feelings don't enter into the equation.

Protecting family that have not been notified yet is a good enough reason for me. Period. I'm not here to cater to the guy with his I-phone and his window down while he is driving past. A medical emergency is exactly that. A tragedy where people die is exactly that, I refuse to let myself be seen in a home youtube video because someone thought the crash was "cool". Now if the emergency part is over, the body has been transported, or the family has been notified. And the videoing is not endangering us or others, fine.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Protecting family that have not been notified yet is a good enough reason for me. Period. I'm not here to cater to the guy with his I-phone and his window down while he is driving past. A medical emergency is exactly that. A tragedy where people die is exactly that, I refuse to let myself be seen in a home youtube video because someone thought the crash was "cool". Now if the emergency part is over, the body has been transported, or the family has been notified. And the videoing is not endangering us or others, fine.
That's a clown excuse. You're simply trying to justify actions you know are wrong. News in this day and age is not limited to your definition.

You put yourself in the public eye. You don't want to be? Fine, leave Fire/EMS. I've been on covers of papers, ect almost always in connection with a tragic event. It is what it is. You infringing someone else's rights because you're uncomfortable being on camera is not acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.