Police use HIPAA to charge person for recording them

Status
Not open for further replies.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Folks, as one of the CL's, I'm going to say this thread is going to be deemed "agree to disagree."

It is reasonable to assume that as an EMS provider, you may be recorded at any time. Your behavior should reflect that. It is also reasonable that if the EMS provider feels his safety or the safety of others is being compromised, he may ask law-enforcement to intervene.

We can go round and round on this topic, But I feel that we're not going to get anywhere fast…

Also, be aware that we do not issue any legal advice on this forum. I'll be keeping an eye on this discussion…

The reason I can't "agree to disagree" is what's being talked about is selectively enforcing laws on shaky arguments because he's uncomfortable with what in most cases is a 100% legal action. These are not the actions of people who would tell you they're "public servants" on most cases, it's the actions of those that are abusing their authority because they're scared of something.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Question for you regarding this. Lets say you are running a medical call. You have a guy who stroked in walmart. It is just you, your partner, and a law enforcment officer on scene. This guy appears to be a stroke and his wife is with him. There are people gathering around pulling their cell phones out and taking video. Do you feel like you have the legal authority to ask the law enforcement officer to ask people to shut their camera's off and not take video, or audio recordings while you identify the man, and go over past medical history with his wife. Seems to me like you would be discussing private medical information out in the open as a medical neccesity to not delay treatment. Do you think that is justifiable to have people shut off audio and video recording?

Easy...don't stay in WalMart. You have the option of removing the patient easily. No, I'm not going to ask the cop to start busting heads...I'm just going to load the patient and take him and the wife to the truck.

You seem very, very rigid and inflexible on this for reasons you still haven't really explained. You may think the law backs you up but in reality it does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.