People who don't understand fire and rescue...

EMSpassion94

Forum Crew Member
People who are not in Fire and Rescue do not seem to understand that it is not just a job, it is a lifestyle. EMS doesn't change to fit our lifestyle; we must change our lifestyle to fit EMS. And we do it, because it is our passion. Now don't get me wrong, EMS must not become our LIFE. But part of our life must become all about EMS. They don't understand why we must spend such long hours, so many days at the station, so much of our time studying and training. How do you/would you respond to someone who doesn't understand why you do what you do? And have you ever had problems about this with your family members/friends?

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
I have no idea what you are talking about. Are you trying to say that people don't understand why you work on an ambulance? Also, what do you mean by

"People who are not in Fire and Rescue do not seem to understand that it is not just a job, it is a lifestyle. EMS doesn't change to fit our lifestyle; we must change our lifestyle to fit EMS."

Are you trying to say that Fire and Rescue have nothing to with emergency medicine? In that case I heartily agree. I would also say that Fire and Rescue is not a lifestyle, it's a blue collar job.

Your post is unclear, what exactly are you trying to get at? Are you asking a question? Or are you trying to spur conversation? If so, about what?

Sasha

Forum Chief
What?

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

JPINFV

Gadfly
Since career is an integral part of one's life (recognized or not), the concept that individuals who are involved for a significant amount of time in EMS end up sharing similar personality traits (some acquired, some innate) is neither shocking nor unique.

MedicBender

Forum Captain
I'm with the others... Your post doesn't make a great deal of sense.

Are you trying to justify your career choices to someone? If so are they mad you spend to much time at the station or something?

You need to clear up your post a bit

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't know that I agree with the idea that EMS should be a lifestyle. I think that's fairly unhealthy.

I wouldn't say its my passion either. I'm deeply interested in a lot of medical topics but thats about it. I also like the fact that being a paramedic is a well respected job that offers reasonably good pay (at least compared to some) and an occasional sense of meaningful accomplishment, I wouldn't do it for free.

All my friends and family understand that my career choice requires a lot of study and often involves unusual hours - its pretty self evident.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
It seems to me that you are happy and excited to be participating in what can be a really fun and rewarding job. Judging from your location, apparent age and level of care, I'm guessing you're a young volunteer just starting out. This is the part of your career where what you do feels the most important, the most dramatic, and, let's face it, the most cool.

Because it feels so great, you just want to spend all your time at the station, and since you're 18 and unencumbered, you can do that. Have fun for now, but please know that this is a phase, and one that you'll look back on and chuckle at yourself.

Keep working, better yourself, and develop your career. If this is what you want to do for a living, get into college and study hard. Try not to explain yourself to people, if they're not in it, they really won't understand, and you'll just give a strange impression of EMS providers to them. The general public are fed the line that we are a bunch of heroic, amazing people who save lives constantly while putting our own lives on the line.

This is a line of BS.

If you keep going in fire and EMS, you'll eventually get to the point where you realize it's not about saving lives so much as it's about making bad days better for people. It's customer service, with a lot of sweating mixed in.

wadford

Forum Crew Member
It is difficult for someone who isn't in fire/rescue to understand the toll that it takes. Hubby is a firefighter and has been with his department for the last five years and was a volunteer with our town for years before that. Whenever tones drop I quickly tell him I love him and be safe before he's out the door. The kids are even learning to say "Bye Daddy" when the radio goes off. Thankfully most of my inlaws are either with the fire department or dispatch (I think I'm the only one in EMS) so they understand.

Anjel

Forum Angel
You'll eventually get to the point where you realize it's not about saving lives so much as it's about making bad days better for people. It's customer service, with a lot of sweating mixed in.

Best statement about what EMS is. OP take that to heart. And think about it and make sure you are in it for the right reasons.

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
EMS is not my lifestyle, nor do I change my lifestyle to fit EMS. It is not my passion, and I do not dedicate my off hours to studying and training for it. Also, I don't hang out at work, nor do I spend hours down at the fire station when not on call.

That is my response, and I have no problems.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
ems is not my lifestyle, nor do i change my lifestyle to fit ems. It is not my passion, and i do not dedicate my off hours to studying and training for it. Also, i don't hang out at work, nor do i spend hours down at the fire station when not on call.

That is my response, and i have no problems.

+10000000000

OP
OP
E

EMSpassion94

Forum Crew Member
It seems to me that you are happy and excited to be participating in what can be a really fun and rewarding job. Judging from your location, apparent age and level of care, I'm guessing you're a young volunteer just starting out. This is the part of your career where what you do feels the most important, the most dramatic, and, let's face it, the most cool.

Because it feels so great, you just want to spend all your time at the station, and since you're 18 and unencumbered, you can do that. Have fun for now, but please know that this is a phase, and one that you'll look back on and chuckle at yourself.

Keep working, better yourself, and develop your career. If this is what you want to do for a living, get into college and study hard. Try not to explain yourself to people, if they're not in it, they really won't understand, and you'll just give a strange impression of EMS providers to them. The general public are fed the line that we are a bunch of heroic, amazing people who save lives constantly while putting our own lives on the line.

This is a line of BS.

If you keep going in fire and EMS, you'll eventually get to the point where you realize it's not about saving lives so much as it's about making bad days better for people. It's customer service, with a lot of sweating mixed in.

I'm sorry if I confused anyone, let me see if I can try to explain.

I AM 17 years old. I have not been in EMS for long. I just recently recieved my EMT-B certification. I have very little experience. I volunteer at my local Fire and Rescue squad. I have MUCH to learn. But just because i'm a young teenager with very little experience does not mean that I don't know what I want in life or how I feel. Or that I can't be completely passionate about things. Because I have come to realize that EMS is my passion. Not just because it's "cool to ride in the back of an ambulance to 911 calls" or even because of the "thrill of it." I am passionate about it because I am passionate about people. About helping them. And you are 100% right. "If you keep going in fire and EMS, you'll eventually get to the point where you realize it's not about saving lives so much as it's about making bad days better for people." I came to realize that a long time ago. I don't spend alot of time at the station. I am on duty once every six days, and I sometimes cover for other people's shifts. But that's it. I have a job. Yes, a paying job. I have a life. I'm just saying that it seems to me, people who are not in EMS don't understand the whole situation of it. It's not just another job. Wake up, go to work, punch the clock, head home, repeat. It takes a specific type of person to do this job. It's not something that you can turn off at the end of a shift. If you can sit there and say that you can and do, then you are either lying to yourself or you're not cut out for this in the long run. I am an EMT, it's not just what I do. No matter where I go, I can't stop being that. I may not carry a bag in my car, and I don't always keep the tools of the trade on me at all times, but when it comes down to it, I will never neglect to help someone in need just because I'm not on the clock. Is EMS a lifestyle? Absolutely. Does that make me a "Ricky Rescue?" No. It just means that I am passionate about my commitment to help others in their hour of need.

And yes, i'm just trying to spur conversation. That's all.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Im always amused when newbies tell us we arent cut out for this.

Its a job. Clock in, do your job, clock out, go home.

dmc2007

Forum Captain

I'm not usually one for signatures, but would you mind if I made this mine?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

+1 and I'm still new :p

OP
OP
E

EMSpassion94

Forum Crew Member

I'm not saying anybody's not cut out for anything. People who are more experienced than I are definitely more cut out for this job than I am. I'm not afraid to say that.

What I'm saying is, you can't tell me that EMS doesn't seep into your home life SOMEHOW. You can't tell me you never think about EMS, calls you've been on, etc. when you're off duty. That'd be unhuman.

JPINFV

Gadfly
What I'm saying is, you can't tell me that EMS doesn't seep into your home life SOMEHOW. You can't tell me you never think about EMS, calls you've been on, etc. when you're off duty. That'd be unhuman.

Does it do those things? Sure, but I'd say no more or less than any other job.

Sasha

Forum Chief
You think about it like any other job.

Sasha

Forum Chief
As much as some would like to think we are a special breed of misfits... we arent. We are just like everyone else.