People who don't understand fire and rescue...

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
I am an EMT, it's not just what I do. No matter where I go, I can't stop being that. I may not carry a bag in my car, and I don't always keep the tools of the trade on me at all times, but when it comes down to it, I will never neglect to help someone in need just because I'm not on the clock.

We have had many threads on the "always on the clock" theme, and there is usually a good argument as to why this can be a bad thing. You can switch off from EMS, just as you can in other healthcare professions. The more experience you get in EMS, the more you will find that it doesn't need to occupy your every thought. It is, after all, just a job.

And yes, i'm just trying to spur conversation. That's all.

Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
As much as some would like to think we are a special breed of misfits... we arent. We are just like everyone else.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Depends on your definition of special :p

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I'm sorry if I confused anyone, let me see if I can try to explain.

I AM 17 years old. I have not been in EMS for long. I just recently recieved my EMT-B certification. I have very little experience. I volunteer at my local Fire and Rescue squad. I have MUCH to learn. But just because i'm a young teenager with very little experience does not mean that I don't know what I want in life or how I feel. Or that I can't be completely passionate about things. Because I have come to realize that EMS is my passion. Not just because it's "cool to ride in the back of an ambulance to 911 calls" or even because of the "thrill of it." I am passionate about it because I am passionate about people. About helping them. And you are 100% right. "If you keep going in fire and EMS, you'll eventually get to the point where you realize it's not about saving lives so much as it's about making bad days better for people." I came to realize that a long time ago. I don't spend alot of time at the station. I am on duty once every six days, and I sometimes cover for other people's shifts. But that's it. I have a job. Yes, a paying job. I have a life. I'm just saying that it seems to me, people who are not in EMS don't understand the whole situation of it. It's not just another job. Wake up, go to work, punch the clock, head home, repeat. It takes a specific type of person to do this job. It's not something that you can turn off at the end of a shift. If you can sit there and say that you can and do, then you are either lying to yourself or you're not cut out for this in the long run. I am an EMT, it's not just what I do. No matter where I go, I can't stop being that. I may not carry a bag in my car, and I don't always keep the tools of the trade on me at all times, but when it comes down to it, I will never neglect to help someone in need just because I'm not on the clock. Is EMS a lifestyle? Absolutely. Does that make me a "Ricky Rescue?" No. It just means that I am passionate about my commitment to help others in their hour of need.

And yes, i'm just trying to spur conversation. That's all.

Please use paragraphs. You'll know when you haven't expressed a complete thought when your paragraph has less than 3-4 sentences. Readers will be able to understand what you're trying to say more easily, too.

If I'm understanding you properly, it seems like you just want people to take you and your desires seriously. Sadly, there is only one cure for this: time. You stick it out, show them that you are serious, and they'll take you seriously.

Also, I am willing to bet that you are the first or among the first people in your family to get into this. Also, given your status as a 17 year old, you're in the time of your life where your parents are the absolute stupidest they ever will be, so just give them the time they need to get smarter...should be right about the time you turn 28. Just give them time so you can show them how serious you are, the proof really is in the pudding.

If you want, you can ask me how I know all this...;) I was right there just a few years ago.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
If you want, you can ask me how I know all this...;) I was right there just a few years ago.
+1

You'll find a balance eventually. I am passionate about EMS even after many years (although I'm a baby in the EMS woods compared to some around here). But, I still switch it off. I've got hobbies, I spend time with the family. Sure on occasion I might go do CE on a day off, but I also take days off for family time.

If you don't find balance you'll flame out. Happened to me.

That said, it's likely you won't listen to any of this, though. You'll tell yourself your different, no one knows what they're talking about and are just bagging on you cause your young and you intimidate them, they're old and jaded, ect, ect, ect. Those were my excuses. It's ok, just don't burn too many bridges.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I like my job. But it's just a job. I clock in, work, then clock out. I don't listen to the scanner while I'm at home, my dad does though. When I'm off duty I wear/do nothing that shows I'm in EMS or Fire service. It's not really a life style for me. Im just a normal 19 year old making money.

I care about patients, only medical needs, when they are under my care. As soon as I hand them over it really doesn't matter to me what happens. I don't take work home with me. My friends and family know that I don't talk about work when at home.

Some people say that I'm heartless because I can have a patient crying in the back of the ambulance and I won't treat them any differently. I'm not gonna cry because they are. If they get aggressive then I get aggressive back. IMHO EMS/Fire is not a lifestyle. You can choose for it to be a lifestyle tho.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
If he takes these answers to heart, this could be the most significant learning point in the OP's EMS career. Big props to those who told him what he really didn't want to hear. It's true.

It's not a lifestyle. It's a job. The sooner you learn that, the more successful your development as a professional will be.

JeffDHMC

Forum Lieutenant
Try to figure out what I do for a living when I'm not in uniform, good luck. I'm not saying I'm not happy with what I've done with myself, but it's just a job, the same as any other job I've had.

Jeff