PCR In Quarters Time???

Bubbleboy

Forum Ride Along
Ok, here is the situation and I would like to know what other people do.

I work for a fairly rural EMS agency, but on occasion we get slammed with back to back calls. While working parade duty I was stationed at an intersection and ran a couple calls from that location. At the end of each run, since I was not "In Quarters" as EMSCharts puts it, I left it blank. To say I was in Quarters would be incorrect, and since I responded to another call from that staging area it's pretty obvious I didn't make it "In Quarters". Unfortunately now that charts get kicked back, I have charts kicked back for not having an In Quarters time, and they are telling me to put in the time I finally returned to quarters (Which was about four hours later). Putting in an in quarters time of 4 hours my unit was back in service seems ridiculous, and unnecessary since there is an obvious trail of runs that I had to do.

What do you guys do for your In Quarters time when you run back to back calls? If you have any links to anything about this and documentation, that would greatly be appreciated.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The places I worked didn't track "in-quarters" separately on the PCR. Once the call was done and we were available to answer calls, that's the final time we put on our PCR. Dispatch kept a record of "Available on Radio" and "Available in Quarters" for purposes of determining where we were and who was closest to the next call.

If "in-quarters" is defined as simply the time you were finally able to return to quarters, just put that time in for all those calls you got while you were away from quarters.

OP
OP
B

Bubbleboy

Forum Ride Along
It just seems idiotic to do so.. who would look at a run sheet and not question why there were 4 hours between "In Service" and "In Quarters". I would rather leave it blank and be able to say "Hey, I went on another call." I enjoy EMS but the lack of training on how to do these charts so everyone is on the same page absolutely ticks me off. I'm sitting here seriously considering leaving this agency right now, which is sad because I like working with the people. But grow annoyed with the management... we'll see how my mood is in the AM.

marcus2011

Forum Crew Member
Every agency is different in what they want.n I work for two of them. One requires a chart that would hold up in court and actually make you look like you know what your doing. The other one requires the bare minimum to get by.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
An in quarters time seems rather pointless to include on the PCR. Maybe your agency wants to track how long it takes for units to get back, but that's meaningless on the PCR. A "clear of call" time is much more sensible, perhaps they are confused?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
ahh, the anal retentive EMS charts QA nazis. been there, done that, some people have too much time on their hands

the in quarters time is needed so someone can run a report and know how long a particular call took you, from the time you were dispatched until the time you got back to the station. that's all it is for, it has absolutely 0 bearing on the documentation of patient care.

or make it up, whether it be when you got dispatched for the next call, or when you made it back into your primary area, or at your assigned post. Or 10 minutes after you are available from the hospital.

EMS charts is an awesome system, especially since some people (paid and volunteer) write absolutely atrocious charts, which is missing the majority of the patient care related information. However, when an agency adopts EMS charts, like any new paper chart, you need to educate all involved in HOW TO WRITE THE CHART, what is required, and why you need it. Don't worry, with some practice, you will be writing an EMS chart as quickly and more efficiently than you did a paper chart (using much more legible handwriting too!). I'll take EMScharts and a toughbook and digital signitures over a carbonless copy hand written PCR any day (and I have been involved in designing paper charts for 3 separate agencies).

phideux

Forum Captain
your charts administrator can disable the in quarters time. For the most part it is pointless, like people stated it takes hours sometimes before you make it back in quarters. Where I work they just use the in service time.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
If I remained on scene at an event like the OP stated, I would just put my Quarters time the same as my In Service time. Technically, your stationed at a post, and that becomes your quarters for the duration of the event.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Your staging area was your temporary quarters. I would have put the time you got back to the staging area. If your company is telling you to put in the time that you actually got back to quarters than just do that. Why does it matter that it was 4 hours later?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
...I enjoy EMS but the lack of training on how to do these charts so everyone is on the same page absolutely ticks me off. I'm sitting here seriously considering leaving this agency right now, which is sad because I like working with the people. But grow annoyed with the management... we'll see how my mood is in the AM.

So instead of just ranting or leaving the agency, why not step up and create some training guidelines or heck, even suggestions for training. If you have an FTO or training department, why not work with them on what's needed? No training department? Why not create one.

The direction I give wherever I've been a manager was: If you're going to come to me with a problem, you better bring a suggested solution as well. Even if we don't use your suggestion completely, it at least gives me a place to start from.

An in quarters time seems rather pointless to include on the PCR. Maybe your agency wants to track how long it takes for units to get back, but that's meaningless on the PCR. A "clear of call" time is much more sensible, perhaps they are confused?

Possibly, but it could also be part of a bigger picture. Maybe the system tracks the additional information for additional reports.

Your staging area was your temporary quarters. I would have put the time you got back to the staging area. If your company is telling you to put in the time that you actually got back to quarters than just do that. Why does it matter that it was 4 hours later?

That's how I viewed it initially.

To Bubbleboy, talk with your supervisors. In the end, they're the ones you report to.

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
Just put down the time you cleared the call....if they are looking at that time that closely, well maybe its time to find a place that isn't retarded.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Possibly, but it could also be part of a bigger picture. Maybe the system tracks the additional information for additional reports.

Many systems do track this information but it is by no means useful on a Patient Care Report and to have QA ding charts for that is wasting everyone's time.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Many systems do track this information but it is by no means useful on a Patient Care Report and to have QA ding charts for that is wasting everyone's time.

Unless QA is doing QA for everything, not just PCR.